Stephen Jones on Dak's contract

jgboys1

Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing committal to what Stephen said. Nothing.

I'm one of the few non-Dak haters left around here, but you are misunderstanding S-Jones' comments if you think it's a big positive for Dak.
Agree! This might ne the most negative thing Jerry and or Stephen ever said about Dak. Usually they say, Dak is our QB of the future and we will be extending him at the end of the season. Him saying that Dak is under contract, tells you they are going to wait and see how he performs down the home stretch!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I wish there was some way they could extend Dak for two seasons. At the end of this season, he has no viable competition. Trey Lance won't be ready in 2024, he will need one more season of development.

Even with Lance on the team I do wish the Cowboys would draft a legitimate talent with the potential to start. The Cowboys need to change their typical process which is to settle on a starter and call it a day. They need to foster an environment of competition where nothing is ever completely settled and there is no such thing as a "franchise" quarterback. They should be drafting one every three years and not only day #3.

This way, a Cowboys quarterback negotiating for his 2nd contract will always coincide with another Cowboys quarterback entering his 2nd season.
Lance is all about 2024.

Cut Dak post June 2024 and pay for the hit over the next two seasons.

Or pay Dak another 200 million.

Not.

It’s not like Dak has been winning playoff games or going to Pro Bowls.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lance is all about 2024.

Not.

Yep. The problem is you can't ride him for another year and then worry about his deal.

The way they structured and restructured the deal, a decision has to be made this offseason. And frankly, if this team fails again and Dak looks like he has in recent playoff/big games, I am not sure how any rational person could justify extending him to push larger cap hits into future years.

Blitzen

Reaction score
What your describing is a bandwagon fan, only root for them if you think they'll win the Super Bowl? True fans root for their team regardless.

Doesn't mean you can't express your opinion if you like or hate the decision. I don't know if Dak will win a Super Bowl, all we know is his story is still being told. I hope he can win a Super Bowl, as should any Cowboys fan but whether if he gets an extension or not doesn't change if I will root for the Cowboys or not.
Any fan still following the team 28 years after the last SB would not be thinking the team is on the path to a SB as that would be fairly ridiculous. Crap like this has been going on for decades now. The organization prioritizes making the playoffs fairy routinely, and being capable of beating the bottom 25-26 teams. The end. If that excites you as a fan, keep ladling Jones’ feces. A Dak extension is just more of the same (don’t steer towards the rocks and don’t aim for the stars).

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Way too much recency bias with those statements. Two and a half weeks ago we were all ready to start lance.

He has to prove it this year. He has to lead us to an nfc title game at the very least. He has to show he can play against the 49ers and eagles. If not he doesn’t deserve to be extended.

Stephen and Jerry are saying the right things yes. But I’d have to believe that’s how they feel as well. Jerry ain’t getting any younger. If dak can’t make a run this year he isn’t going to.
Dak has basically owned every nfc east team

plasticman

Reaction score
Lance is all about 2024.

Not.

It's also not like Trey Lance has demonstrated that he'll be ready by 2024.

Slick

Reaction score
If they extend this loser, I am done with this team....done. After almost 50 years a fan....done....can't take this **** anymore. It's just not fun anymore.
I feel the same. As soon as I read the article about Stephen resigning him, that's the first thought I had. How can you be so brilliant in business, and so stupid as a team owner?

Slick

Reaction score
I don't expect everyone to like every player that's fine. I hated TO and didn't like bringing him here, but didn't stop being a fan because I didn't like him. If you look at the post I replied to the comment was about ending their fandom if Dak got an extension. That's not fandom if you truly think about abandonding their team over 1 player.

It seems we're on the same page that dislike for certain players shouldn't get in the way of being a true fan.
No, it's about the ineptness of the Jones Family running this franchise, like they have since '97.

For awhile I actually thought Stephen might make a difference, but we won’t really know until post Jerry.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish there was some way they could extend Dak for two seasons. At the end of this season, he has no viable competition. Trey Lance won't be ready in 2024, he will need one more season of development.

Even with Lance on the team I do wish the Cowboys would draft a legitimate talent with the potential to start. The Cowboys need to change their typical process which is to settle on a starter and call it a day. They need to foster an environment of competition where nothing is ever completely settled and there is no such thing as a "franchise" quarterback. They should be drafting one every three years and not only day #3.

This way, a Cowboys quarterback negotiating for his 2nd contract will always coincide with another Cowboys quarterback entering his 2nd season.
I mean no disrespect....but i wonder what leads you and others to believe lance cannot possibly play in 2024.

I just honestly dont know. Lotta players might not look ready but play anyway. Dak mightve been one.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
No, it's about the ineptness of the Jones Family running this franchise, like they have since '97.

For awhile I actually thought Stephen might make a difference, but we won’t really know until post Jerry.
For some time I held this view also.
but the more I watch him, the more I Realize he's just Jerry light.

it won't get better post Jerry if Stephen remains the guy in charge (imo)

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I mean no disrespect....but i wonder what leads you and others to believe lance cannot possibly play in 2024.

I just honestly dont know. Lotta players might not look ready but play anyway. Dak mightve been one.
Dak absolutely was one of them. If not for Romo's injury he most likely rides the bench as the backup for another 2 or 3 seasons.

Sydla

Reaction score
Watch it once, watch it a hundred times

Only a true Dak Davidian could blame that on Cooks.
The video seems to be saying what many of us said.............. Dak wasn't that good and deserved some of the blame for that loss.

As for that Cooks throw, not sure how you can blame Cooks on that. That being said, it's still a tough throw for Dak so I can't kill him for not making it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Eagles have never ever been his problem. He owns them.

Stephen has always said he was gonna sign Dak to his first contract, and he did. And hes saying hes gonna sign him again, and he will.
that is false, last year jerry would not play dak, made rush play the eagles in first game when eagles were hot.
the 2nd game hurts did not play. Had dallas made it to the champ game, eagles would have stomped them and dak.
Also dak didnt own them the year they won the SB.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Extending Dak will ensure that Jerry never sniffs another Super Bowl as it will set this franchise back at least another 5 years.