Stephen Jones on Dak's contract

NFCBeasts

Reaction score
I pray and hope Dak gets extended. Would love to see all who are saying they would be done with the team actually disappear for good. I have a feeling they will pull a Pappy, be gone for 2 months, then reappear while acting as if they never said they would be gone for good. lol
Let me state …. i will not disappear as what is the fun in that :flagwave:

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Baby crying Photo of nine month baby crying, isolated Crying Stock Photo
You found your old pre-school photo?

Awwwww...... how precious.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Think long and hard. You can't come back from this type of cap hit.

Rusell Wilson, DeShaun Watson, Kyler Murray, among a few who looked like good bets for new contracts and now teams are stuck.

Dak has been hurt every year for the last few seasons. And still not going to NFC Championship games no matter who is in the coaching carousel.

One position never earned this much salary. It's not an easy decision. Which is why they're probably waiting until end of season to see the results first.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I hope for you that you are able to find some sort of contentment in this team when they extend him or if they do. Because your right life is fleeting and being miserable following entertainment is not a positive way to live it.

Go Cowboys
Entertainment? This stopped being about entertainment a while ago. When the Cowboys lose, my following week sucks. It affects my life drastically. Maybe you can just blow it off as if it doesn't matter but I need the Cowboys to win or I sink into deep depression until the next opportunity to win. You're right, it's not a positive way to live but this is what it is to be, "Diehard".

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You spent 2 or 3 days trying to blame Cooks when Dak led him 3 yards out of bounds on what should have been a walk in touchdown against SF.

C'mon man. Nobody's buying your "impartial observer" schtick.
If you plated the sport, especially at WR, you would know your #1 rule is to run inbounds where you leave room for your QB to find and throw it to you inbounds. The sideline is your enemy. Never run towards the sideline on 1-on-1 deep routes, thus making it hard for your QB to pass the ball inbounds.

Sydla

Reaction score
Think long and hard. You can't come back from this type of cap hit.

Rusell Wilson, DeShaun Watson, Kyler Murray, among a few who looked like good bets for new contracts and now teams are stuck.

Dak has been hurt every year for the last few seasons. And still not going to NFC Championship games no matter who is in the coaching carousel.

One position never earned this much salary. It's not an easy decision. Which is why they're probably waiting until end of season to see the results first.
Jerry is kind of in panic mode, I believe. He knows he doesn't have much more here and moving on from Dak signals a rebuild and he wants no part of that, no matter how smart a decision that may end up being.

I just can't understand how if this season goes sideways like the past ones did, you can then justify bringing back the QB and the HC/OC. But Jerry will find a way to justify it. He always does. And then we the fans get to suffer.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak needs to be lower than $50 million. He already got the big contract. Jerry caved in to him. Dak now has to return the favor. Dak currently earns $40 mil/season. Take an extension at between $40 - $42 mil/season. That keeps him at what he's currently making or a little more. Waaaay enough money per year. This would help the Cowboys have enough cap space to sign CeeDee, Micah, Pollard and a few other key starters to long-term contracts.
Jerry didn't cave to Dak, he listened to Stephen and let it "all play out".
As it played out QB prices nearly DOUBLED.

So the late extension plus the franchise year meant insane costs and zero leverage.
It starts with acknowledging that then building a cap friendly deal off that.
It will be massive money.
But ideally you can make it a very long deal with roster bonuses and other mechanisms that guarantee Dak generational wealth while protecting the cap.

The reality is 50M aav is top 10 QB money now.
4 make over 50M AAV.
Daniel Jones got 40 as a 15-20 area QB.

If you are Dallas and can do 5 for 250 that is a good deal.
You add year 2 as a roster bonus with allows the 6th year void to be added and reduce cap.
Same in year 3 with the 7th year void.

That gives you cap relief for essentially the first 3 years of the deal.

tromofan

Reaction score
50 million per year is for guys that have proven they can beat the league's ELITE teams, whether you have your full complimentary of players or better still, when your missing some of them. Dak has yet to prove that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

So the late extension plus the franchise year meant insane costs and zero leverage.
But ideally you can make it a very long deal with roster bonuses and other mechanisms that guarantee Dak generational wealth while protecting the cap.

4 make over 50M AAV.

You add year 2 as a roster bonus with allows the 6th year void to be added and reduce cap.

Agreed. Sounds like a good deal. Sadly, many here will likely jump ship if Jerry offers Dak this new extension deal.

Sydla

Reaction score

4 make over 50M AAV.

I am assuming you think Dak finishes the season strong and he (and the team) play well in the postseason and make a run.

Because if this team spits the bit again early and Dak looks out of sort coming down the stretch like he did last year and some previous years, this franchise would be beyond stupid in handing Dak a 5 year, 250MM extension.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That's not what you said yesterday morning. You said he carried the team, not the offense. Come on, be a man. Or woman, whichever the case may be.

On a side note, if carrying the offense is going to lead to only 12 points (the kicker gets credit for the extra points, or is Dak doing that too?) - this team is in big trouble.
You know what I meant. Quit acting ignorant.

oh, wait, that is how you always act. Never mind. Carry on...

I think you are both. I'm gonna call you Hermie for short.

Sydla

Reaction score
Some wont agree but the rest of the season should basically be at tryout for Dak and any extension. You cannot, CANNOT, extend him if this season ends like the others where the team looks out of place and Dak is just out of sorts in a big playoff game.

How any times do you have to watch that before you realize, ehhh, maybe we need to shake things up?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
If you plated the sport, especially at WR, you would know your #1 rule is to run inbounds where you leave room for your QB to find and throw it to you inbounds. The sideline is your enemy. Never run towards the sideline on 1-on-1 deep routes, thus making it hard for your QB to pass the ball inbounds.
it was a terrible throw. Everyone in the world (except you) recognizes this.
It's ok to admit it. No one will think less of you (not that that's even possible)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
it was a terrible throw. Everyone in the world (except you) recognizes this.
It's ok to admit it. No one will think less of you (not that that's even possible)
You're wrong. Brandon was running towards the sideline. Look at the video. Start at the 13:29 minute mark.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak needs to be lower than $50 million. He already got the big contract. Jerry caved in to him. Dak now has to return the favor. Dak currently earns $40 mil/season. Take an extension at between $40 - $42 mil/season. That keeps him at what he's currently making or a little more. Waaaay enough money per year. This would help the Cowboys have enough cap space to sign CeeDee, Micah, Pollard and a few other key starters to long-term contracts.
I agree. This would be the right thing to do, if we are going to do this. If he won't keep his demands around there, then we must draft a QB (which would still be a good idea anyway with this draft class).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I guess they want to se how Dak performs going down the stretch and the playoffs, if we make them.

I could see that, but, to me, he would have to have a great postseason to warrant what he probably wants. Even then, it'd be hard to justify if we can't get past SFO.