Stephen Jones on defense changes

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I have little confidence in the defense especially with Zimmer. Nothing has cost us more games in the playoffs the past 2+ decades than the defense.
Why? Zimmer has led some of the Top Defensive Units over the last decade. Seems to be a guy that gets the most out what he’s given to work with.

Big_D

Reaction score
Why? Zimmer has led some of the Top Defensive Units over the last decade. Seems to be a guy that gets the most out what he’s given to work with.

I certainly have more confidence in Zimmer than I did in Quinn. He did some good things in the turnover department, but the same problems still exist here that always existed like stopping the run and getting off the field on 3rd down.

morat1959

Reaction score
You can’t fill all those holes in one draft. Lip service. Look I me, I’m a big football man. His insane Dad is the only reason he’s in the limelight.

Big_D

Reaction score
And when are we going to acquire two more linebackers and bigger guys in the middle?
Something they should've been doing for awhile now. Instead of stupid gambles in the second, they could've had a stout front 7.

visionary

Reaction score
You only need one more linebacker. But you also need to add another DT.

Overshown, Kendrick’s, Clark, Micah and a Rookie (Wilson, Grey type) will make up your LBs.

Overshown - Kendrick’s - Rookie/Micah with Clark as depth.

Osa and Mazi will start. Golston and Fehoko likely get some snaps at 3T. But we need an upgrade over Davis.
Nope
We dont need to upgrade Davis
We need to upgrade Osa and Mazi

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It wasn’t like NFL teams were lining up to hire him after the Vikings fired him. He’s been out of the league 2 years and the last time he was a DC was in 2013. It’s not like the Cowboys had great success with him as our DC from 2000 to 2006. We were 0-2 in the playoffs and our D didn’t step up in either game. It’s hard to get excited about Zimmer. DQ becoming our DC was a lot more exciting than Zimmer. He’s only here because Jerry probably didn’t have any better options with McCarthy being a lame duck.

tm1119

Reaction score
I’m going to go out on a limb and say Stephen just has no clue what he’s talking about. It’s virtually impossible to consistently play with 3 LB’s on the field in modern football. Let’s not pull a classic Cowboys and overreact. Just get good players

JeffInDC

Reaction score
It wasn’t like NFL teams were lining up to hire him after the Vikings fired him. He’s been out of the league 2 years and the last time he was a DC was in 2013. It’s not like the Cowboys had great success with him as our DC from 2000 to 2006. We were 0-2 in the playoffs and our D didn’t step up in either game. It’s hard to get excited about Zimmer. DQ becoming our DC was a lot more exciting than Zimmer. He’s only here because Jerry probably didn’t have any better options with McCarthy being a lame duck.
So, I guess you don't realize that quite a few coaches do still serve as coordinators asl well. Zimmer was INDEED the person running the Vikings D his entire coaching run. And, what does how he ran the D way back on '06 have to do with what he does now?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas has the most hateful fans.
He said something all fans wanted to hear. And all some can do is hate and whine about it.

Be a fan, and say, yes this is great to hear.

But I know how this post will turn out.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So, I guess you don't realize that quite a few coaches do still serve as coordinators asl well. Zimmer was INDEED the person running the Vikings D his entire coaching run. And, what does how he ran the D way back on '06 have to do with what he does now?
Zimmer’s defenses in 2020 and 2021 ranked 26 and 30th. That’s part of the reason he got fired. His defenses have never gotten it done which is why I mentioned his stint as DC with the Cowboys from 2000-2006. He would still be out of the league if DQ didn’t leave.

tm1119

Reaction score
Dallas has the most hateful fans.
He said something all fans wanted to hear. And all some can do is hate and whine about it.

Be a fan, and say, yes this is great to hear.

But I know how this post will turn out.

ALL fans wanted this? Why would we want to go back into the stoneages? Playing 3 LB’s isn’t feasible in modern football

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I do not understand the hype on Overshown. I will have to review his Cowboys highlights reel.

fivetwos

Reaction score
All coaches on 1 year deals. Next year will have a different philosophy.
Not necessarily. It’s fairly obvious that Zimmer is next HC, so we will be spending several drafts trying to acquire the type of players he wants before changing schemes yet again after he can’t win under Stephens secret sauce system of no free agency.

I’m sure Jerry will retain Schottenheimer as OC because they “feel real good about” where they are offensively.

Same crap over and over. It’s predictable, boring and destined for failure.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I have little confidence in the defense especially with Zimmer. Nothing has cost us more games in the playoffs the past 2+ decades than the defense.
Monte Kiffin was the most useless coaching signing ever! Even over Dave Campo.