Stephen Jones on defense changes

fivetwos

Reaction score
I do not understand the hype on Overshown. I will have to review his Cowboys highlights reel.
He is Spauldings buddy, so expect him to get every shot possible.

I thought he could be effective as a blitzing nickel LB under what Quinn was doing, but watch and see if he doesn’t fit what Zimmer wants to do…but he will absolutely be out there.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Zimmer’s defenses in 2020 and 2021 ranked 26 and 30th. That’s part of the reason he got fired. His defenses have never gotten it done which is why I mentioned his stint as DC with the Cowboys from 2000-2006. He would still be out of the league if DQ didn’t leave.
The reason Zimmer got fired was because they NEVER had an offense that was as consistent as their D. From 2009 to 2019 as either DC or HC/DC, Zimmer-run D's were Top 10 in scoring D 9 out of 11 years. At the same time, the offenses from those teams were Top 10 in scoring only 2 TIMES!!!!! In fact, in Zimmer's entire HC/DC career, he's only been on 3 teams where the O ranked in the Top 10 in scoring.

Zimmer got fired because players grew weary of his old-school, tough-nosed coaching. And, what did Quinn's D do lately that showed he was the answer? Ask GB how terrible that D had become...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The reason Zimmer got fired was because they NEVER had an offense that was as consistent as their D. From 2009 to 2019 as either DC or HC/DC, Zimmer-run D's were Top 10 in scoring D 9 out of 11 years. At the same time, the offenses from those teams were Top 10 in scoring only 2 TIMES!!!!! In fact, in Zimmer's entire HC/DC career, he's only been on 3 teams where the O ranked in the Top 10 in scoring.

Zimmer got fired because players grew weary of his old-school, tough-nosed coaching. And, what did Quinn's D do lately that showed he was the answer? Ask GB how terrible that D had become...
How consistent was Zimmer’s defense ranked 26th and 30th his last two seasons in Minnesota? His offense ranked a lot higher than his defense his last two seasons. His offense was 7th his final season in Minnesota. None of our defenses show up in the playoffs regardless the DC. If players can’t handle old school tough nosed coaching than it won’t work in Dallas. There’s several who follow the team that don’t think Zimmer’s approach will work with the Cowboys. Even Zimmer said there’s no guarantees. He didn’t sound overly confident.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
How consistent was Zimmer’s defense ranked 26th and 30th his last two seasons in Minnesota? His offense ranked a lot higher than his defense his last two seasons. His offense was 7th his final season in Minnesota. None of our defenses show up in the playoffs regardless the DC.
How about this - who would rather they hire? I'm not even saying I wanted the guy, but he's been a successful DC in this league for years...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How about this - who would rather they hire? I'm not even saying I wanted the guy, but he's been a successful DC in this league for years...
There wasn’t anyone else better or at least not many that wanted to come to Dallas under a lame duck HC, which is one reason Zimmer got the job. DQ left so Jerry had to hire someone and Zimmer probably reached out. He probably figures if McCarthy is fired he has a shot at HC. It would be so Jerry to make Zimmer the next coach. Just another Jerry Jones puppet.

Mikexike

Reaction score
There wasn’t anyone else better which is one reason Zimmer got the job. DQ left so Jerry had to hire someone and Zimmer probably reached out. He probably figures if McCarthy is fired he has a shot at HC. It would be so Jerry to make Zimmer the next coach. Just another Jerry Jones puppet.
Nope, It was the water boy that vouched for zimmer.

Sydla

Reaction score
Drafting a linebacker probably is highish on their list.

So would a TB and an OL. Oh and we have like two DTs that can actually eat minutes on the roster too, so add DT to the problem.

Would have been nice if the numbnuts in charge had spent a little money in FA and tried to sure up some of those holes in FA.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He is Spauldings buddy, so expect him to get every shot possible.

I thought he could be effective as a blitzing nickel LB under what Quinn was doing, but watch and see if he doesn’t fit what Zimmer wants to do…but he will absolutely be out there.
He will get a shot, old boy.
But the UT lad is 1 1/2 years removed from actual football. Talk about a project.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Nobody is really deploying the 3 LB looks anymore.

So as usual Stephen taking out his backside.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'm like Stephen, if we are going to win anything the defense has to shut every team out so dak doesn't choke us to another lose. Hum, Stephen isn't bad, just cheap.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Im sorry the 3 LB's we have on the roster right now rank very low as a unit compared to the leagues best defenses...if Micah is now Fully a DE (he is too small to be) and your not gonna put him back at LB you better get someone to play mike in Zimm defense..he scheme needs it bad. Ooh and if your wondering your getting Mazi and "we made him fatten back up" at DT..look at the holes folks..1 draft cant fix all of them. And i know we have some UT fans here but if Overshown is your sam or mike we are in trouble he plays best from will....gashing gaps and chasing down plays.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Im sorry the 3 LB's we have on the roster right now rank very low as a unit compared to the leagues best defenses...if Micah is now Fully a DE (he is too small to be) and your not gonna put him back at LB you better get someone to play mike in Zimm defense..he scheme needs it bad. Ooh and if your wondering your getting Mazi and "we made him fatten back up" at DT..look at the holes folks..1 draft cant fix all of them. And i know we have some UT fans here but if Overshown is your sam or mike we are in trouble he plays best from will....gashing gaps and chasing down plays.
Don't worry, Success doesn't come without failure. We'll keep fielding a team that isn't on the QB's talent level for many years to come....hard times are coming! HERE WE GO!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
People want to rip on Zimmer but this is him. The Cowboys never cared about size in the middle. Now all of a sudden these clowns figured it out? I'm sure Mike is very particular about Mazi getting back to a legitimate weight also. This will be a very different defense. At least that front 7 should look better for a change.
We won't know how much change until they play some good teams shanahan tree teams