Video: Stephen Jones on Dez!

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Separation has never been Dez’s Forte. Ninety percent of this forum used to be like, you just need to throw it up to Dez. Even if he looks like he’s covered, he’s not.

Now that they got to defend Dak’s horrible play, they say things like Dez doesn’t get separation.

Just like other people that have played the game say about Dez - he’s a bad route runner and he no longer gets separation. But, keep your brand going.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If the Patriots, or Eagles had our receivers you would see how often they get open. Bryant is a good receiver that would excel on either of those teams.
It's not always the receivers fault, but more often than not they tend to be a scapegoat for quarterbacks that don't throw receivers open, or hit the routes on time forcing everything to blow up. It's all about timing, reading a defense, and seeing the field.

I think Dak see's the field and reads the defense perfectly fine.

Where I think Dak struggles is that he will not throw the football unless the guy is wide open.

He doesn't throw anyone open.

What has happened to the back shoulder throw? It's gone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just like other people that have played the game say about Dez - he’s a bad route runner and he no longer gets separation. But, keep your brand going.
Dez has always been a bad route runner and dropped too many balls but Romo still got the ball to him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Where I think Dak struggles is that he will not throw the football unless the guy is wide open.

Back shoulder throw is one of the most popular throws in NFL. But not with Dak..

And Cowboys were last in NFL in pass attempts 20 yards beyond LOS. Dez only had 2 thrown his way all season.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Dez has always been a bad route runner and dropped too many balls but Romo still got the ball to him.

One constant I saw yesterday was playmakers making plays. Not all of Brady, Foles, or Bortles passes were perfect - but there guys made plays. Didn’t see many passes hitting both hands and and flying into the air for easy picks.

JeffInDC

Reaction score

My opinion (and mine only) is that, because he stopped trusting Dez to make plays, he got jittery because his REAL security blanket (Beasley) was now the guy drawing double teams. This, he started getting extremely wild in the “strike zone” so to speak. So, YES, Dak needs to fix his game (especially mechanics) like yesterday. But, this notion that he’s RGIII and he didn’t show serious talent and promise just the year before is what angers me. I swear if an alien just started reading this board, you would think Dak is the worst QB to ever play the game - even with a 22-10 record. But, I forget, he didn’t contribute to any of those wins.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
However you want to look at it, Dez got paid a lot of money for a little impact this season. I don't think recognizing that fact is a bad thing.

What surprises me is to hear the organization saying it so bluntly right at the start of the offseason. I would have thought this was a topic they'd be handling with kid gloves until they had an alternative in place.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s pretty obvious from listening to Stephen that he and Jerry are debating hard whether to bring Dez back next season. He mentioned the chemistry issues between Dez and Dak and that Dez’s emotion can be a distraction. He mentioned the chemistry Dez had with Romo but that Dak’s game is different. I’ve talked about that many times here. If we use our top pick on a WR I don’t think Dez will be here next season. He may not be here anyway. It’s looking 50-50 right now. It may come down to who can we get to replace him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One constant I saw yesterday was playmakers making plays. Not all of Brady, Foles, or Bortles passes were perfect - but there guys made plays. Didn’t see many passes hitting both hands and and flying into the air for easy picks.
We didn’t see the best QB’s yesterday except Tom which his last TD was perfection in the only spot where the reciever can catch it.

Watching Brees last week with all of the perfect back shoulder precise throws he makes is another good example .

lk8701

Reaction score
When the entire receiving group has a down year you have to look at th e common factors...

I will LMAO if they let Dez go and he goes to another team with a QB accurate beyond 10yds down field and a coach with even just a little bit of creativity because he will return to form.

I could see the Niners picking him up. Jimmy G and Shanahan will turn him back into a Pro Bowl WR.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s pretty obvious from listening to Stephen that he and Jerry are debating hard whether to bring Dez back next season. He mentioned the chemistry issues between Dez and Dak and that Dez’s emotion can be a distraction. He mentioned the chemistry Dez had with Romo but that Dak’s game is different. I’ve talked about that many times here. If we use our top pick on a WR I don’t think Dez will be here next season. He may not be here anyway. It’s looking 50-50 right now.
What a shame we won’t use top pick on a QB who can make all of the throws .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What a shame we won’t use top pick on a QB who can make all of the throws .

We don’t need a QB and Dak can make all the throws. We need some better players around him primarily at WR. The OL needs some patchwork. We need to find a real solid backup LT. Too many are trying to make Dak out to be the issue.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I can understand a player not having the physical abilities to be great. But how can a WR. be allowed to be a bad route runner and be paid 12 million dollars. That's beyond insane, forget about burst or separation or even hands. Running a route for wide receiver should be very simple thing. You run in this direction to this point then change directions. We have all done it before, run down to the truck fake left and go right.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My opinion (and mine only) is that, because he stopped trusting Dez to make plays, he got jittery because his REAL security blanket (Beasley) was now the guy drawing double teams. This, he started getting extremely wild in the “strike zone” so to speak. So, YES, Dak needs to fix his game (especially mechanics) like yesterday. But, this notion that he’s RGIII and he didn’t show serious talent and promise just the year before is what angers me. I swear if an alien just started reading this board, you would think Dak is the worst QB to ever play the game - even with a 22-10 record. But, I forget, he didn’t contribute to any of those wins.
Dak had a remarkable Rookie season but if you were evaluating Dak on 2017 alone it would be much different. I think there are some valid concerns that probably only winning can overcome.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, someone get him off him. Jeez, I thought he had a family. I hope he's not taking advantage of Dez because he doesn't have his monkey any longer. A monkey will flat out get on you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can understand a player not having the physical abilities to be great. But how can a WR. be allowed to be a bad route runner and be paid 12 million dollars. That's beyond insane, forget about burst or separation or even hands. Running a route for wide receiver should be very simple thing. You run in this direction to this point then change directions. We have all done it before, run down to the truck fake left and go right.
That’s a great question . I was always critical of Dez but he produced. It appears now it had more to with Romo which really shouldn’t be any surprise as Romo made household names out of Laurent Robinson and Miles Austin to never be heard from again.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Is Cole Beasley suddenly a bad route runner?

I say no. You may disagree but he is incredible at getting open.

Guess what though... When you only let him run 2 or 3 routes over and over and over then defenses just sit on those routes and guess what? Even a WR like Cole Beasley won't get open.

This entire WR unit didn't just get bad all of a sudden. Playing into our tendencies just makes it easy for our opponents. We have coaching problems. Not WR problems.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That’s a great question . I was always critical of Dez but he produced. It appears now it had more to with Romo which really shouldn’t be any surprise as Romo made household names out of Laurent Robinson and Miles Austin to never be heard from again.

QB does help. Romo lets Dez go make a play a lot of the itme.

Again though.. Dez is a YAC player that has never got to be used consistently like that.