Video: Stephen Jones on Dez!

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
The 19th pick is too low to trade up into the top 2. The real shame was not trading up 2 spots when we had the 4th overall pick in 2016.
Do you think Cleveland would have traded with us over Philly, with them recieving more compensation to move further back taking their offer? I wouldn't think so.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is Cole Beasley suddenly a bad route runner?

I say no. You may disagree but he is incredible at getting open.

Guess what though... When you only let him run 2 or 3 routes over and over and over then defenses just sit on those routes and guess what? Even a WR like Cole Beasley won't get open.

This entire WR unit didn't just get bad all of a sudden. Playing into our tendencies just makes it easy for our opponents. We have coaching problems. Not WR problems.
How do you coach a QB like this?

And defenses have figured him out forcing him to go over the top to beat them.

When everyone else goes bad and we are defending the new kid on the block is usually a red flag.

All of a sudden the strength of our team, the offense , needs retooling because why???

My answer is Dak skill sets or lack of skill sets. That doesn’t mean we can’t continue to tweak our recieving core and OL.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I said earlier, Witten should lead the way when it comes to paycuts. Put the pressure on Dez. But I promise you, you'll never hear a peep about a Witten paycut from Stephen Jones. Hell you barely hear it on CZ....WHY?
Bro...I want witten to take less money and cut his snap count by 50%. I wouldn't mind if he retired and became a first ballet HOFer. It's time to get young and explosive at that position

Aven8

Reaction score
I think Dak see's the field and reads the defense perfectly fine.

Where I think Dak struggles is that he will not throw the football unless the guy is wide open.

He doesn't throw anyone open.

What has happened to the back shoulder throw? It's gone.

You're wrong Catch. Julio and Antonio don't have to be thrown open. Those guys get open. And Dak did the back shoulder throw down the sideline to Dez and it worked great, and then we went away from it for whatever reason.

I agree that JG's offense sucks, but if we had Brown or Julio they would get open even in this crappy scheme. That's what separates them from most.

As for Stephen the comment about his sideline behavior was the most telling thing for me. Never heard anyone talk about it in a negative way inside the organization.

Also, remember Stephen doesn't like to get burned whether in outside FA and or our own FA's.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You don’t think that placing a more prolific passing QB in our offense cures more of our ills than retooling our offense ?

And how long is this going to take? Shoot, it took us many years to rebuild this offense ? 2011 thru 2016. Great. So about 2023 Dak will be ready. Do we even realize what we’re saying here? Why do we go to such extremes to defend our guy?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
How do you coach a QB like this?

And defenses have figured him out forcing him to go over the top to beat them.

When everyone else goes bad and we are defending the new kid on the block is usually a red flag.

All of a sudden the strength of our team, the offense , needs retooling because why???

My answer is Dak skill sets or lack of skill sets. That doesn’t mean we can’t continue to tweak our recieving core and OL.

Tony Romo's don't grow on tree's.

You can win with Dak Prescott. He's better then 80% of QB's in this league.

He's a good player but it's in his own way. Kind of like Russell Wilson. Don't expect 300 and 3 TD's every week.

Plus, our coaches need to be better at scheming guys open.

A stud TE would probably help things too. I hope Rico can be that guy that causes a lot of attention to help the WR's.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You're wrong Catch. Julio and Antonio don't have to be thrown open. Those guys get open. And Dak did the back shoulder throw down the sideline to Dez and it worked great, and then we went away from it for whatever reason.

I agree that JG's offense sucks, but if we had Brown or Julio they would get open even in this crappy scheme. That's what separates them from most.

As for Stephen the comment about his sideline behavior was the most telling thing for me. Never heard anyone talk about it in a negative way inside the organization.

Also, remember Stephen doesn't like to get burned whether in outside FA and or our own FA's.

Dez doesn't need to be thrown open either. He's never had that luxury anyways. He's been pigeon holed to a few routes just like those guys would be.

Also, look at Julio this year without Shannahan. Not nearly as effective.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funniest thing about this interview is that Stephen himself admits that Dez produced with Romo and not with Dak.

What he fails to mention also is:

Dak sucked in respect to all his WRs. Beasley target-catch ration was probably his worst ever. So was that a chemistry issue?

Stephen sounds like Garrett to me.

Of course Beasley's target catch ratio was probably his best ever in Dak's first season, so we have one very good season with Dak & Beasley and one bad one. Seems to me the key is to figure out the difference between 2016 and 2017. Obviously some has to do with opponent's game planning, but the team has to figure out what Dak does well and what he has more difficulty with and take advantage. I'm not sure the Cowboys staff is particularly strong in doing that kind of thing though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tony Romo's don't grow on tree's.

You can win with Dak Prescott. He's better then 80% of QB's in this league.

He's a good player but it's in his own way. Kind of like Russell Wilson. Don't expect 300 and 3 TD's every week.

Plus, our coaches need to be better at scheming guys open.

A stud TE would probably help things too. I hope Rico can be that guy that causes a lot of attention to help the WR's.
Better than 80% ? Lol
He was 17th ranked.

There’s 3 or 4 potentially better QB in 1st round this year alone.

links18

Reaction score
Stephen confirms Dez is a distraction. That can't be good for him sticking around. Of course, it also undermines any trade value he might have, which might not be much anyway.

Aven8

Reaction score
Dez doesn't need to be thrown open either. He's never had that luxury anyways. He's been pigeon holed to a few routes just like those guys would be.

Also, look at Julio this year without Shannahan. Not nearly as effective.

But Dak is a risk adverse QB. At least he is right now. He's not willing to throw the ball up and risk the int. As great as Romo was, we got burned by that as well. What has burned me about Dez is his drops and his ability to get the jump ball anymore. Mistimed jumps, etc. If I had my guess Dez and Dak don't like each other and it shows as they don't practice together. Just a guess.

lk8701

Reaction score
Do you think Cleveland would have traded with us over Philly, with them recieving more compensation to move further back taking their offer? I wouldn't think so.

The Eagles sent five draft picks to the Browns: the No. 8 pick in the first round, a third-round pick (77th overall) and a fourth-round pick (100th overall) in this year's draft, a first-round pick in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018. Cleveland also sends a fourth-round pick in 2017 to the Eagles.

That really isn't that much. We could have matched that easily. We were picking higher in every round. The Cowboys coached Wentz in the Senior Bowl for 1 week so they knew more about him than any other team. The Cowboys were the only team to "test drive" Wentz.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
WE can’t count on our coaching staff to scheme better or our front office to surround Dak with the right talent .

Look how we struggled surrounding Romo. If Dak is less talented than Romo and can’t carry this dysfunctionaly ran team were in big trouble.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I like Dez. I think he is a good WR with amazing talent to high point a ball. I think he is a victim of circumstances more than anything here. Romo was a GREAT QB and him and Dez did a lot of damage, but Tony didn't like the over the middle and quick throws a lot. I think this why Dallas never really did many crossing routes in the intermediate range. Now with Dak, you have a QB that is just not that good. His throws are erratic. And over the middle is the last place you want an inconsistent QB throwing the ball. Maybe Dak will improve in this regard, I hope so because it seems we are hitched to him for the foreseeable future. But with a QB like Dak, and not trusting him to place the ball in safe areas in the middle of the field, I don't expect to see Dez with many YAC opportunities.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
When the entire receiving group has a down year you have to look at th e common factors...

I will LMAO if they let Dez go and he goes to another team with a QB accurate beyond 10yds down field and a coach with even just a little bit of creativity because he will return to form.
All of this but the Dak direction fans don't understand. When has a teams whole receiver core had their worst year ever with a top flight QB and they didn't have a sorry record? I bet you could count those times on one hand but some don't want to see the common factor. Maybe he does just need a bunch of little wideouts like Brady that just run around 5-10yards and he will get better. It could be that simple but until it happens the blame goes mostly on him since all the receivers stunk this year.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
The Eagles sent five draft picks to the Browns: the No. 8 pick in the first round, a third-round pick (77th overall) and a fourth-round pick (100th overall) in this year's draft, a first-round pick in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018. Cleveland also sends a fourth-round pick in 2017 to the Eagles.

That really isn't that much. We could have matched that easily. We were picking higher in every round. The Cowboys coached Wentz in the Senior Bowl for 1 week so they knew more about him than any other team. The Cowboys were the only team to "test drive" Wentz.
Hmmm...I guess a good way to analyze it further is to see what players we would have lost had we pulled that trigger. It's interesting to think about though. For example...who would be our RB...etc..etc..etc..

Last edited:

lk8701

Reaction score
Hmmm...I guess a good way to analyze it further is to see what players we would have lost had we pulled that trigger. It's interesting to think about though. For example...who would be our RB...etc..etc..etc..

If we made the same trade: 2016 - Zeke, Maliek Collins, and Charles Tapper. Although we could have used our compensatory 4th rounder on Jordan Howard instead of Dak. 2017- unknown what pick we would get. We used the pick we got on Taco. 2018 - 2nd round pick unknown. The Browns also gave a 4th rounder in the 2017 draft which the Eagles used on Mack Hollins. Maybe we could have used it on Tarik Cohen who was still available.

khiladi

Reaction score
I agree with you but here is the problem... Dez, like TO, is an incredible YAC WR.

His entire career we have not done the simple thing by getting the ball in his hands and letting him work.

Now that we don't have a QB that isn't comfortable throwing vertical yet we are just completely wasting Dez.

He'll still go get the occasional 50/50 ball for us but we have totally wasted his talent by just not simply getting the ball in his hands.

He does deserve some blame for the drops but Dallas has to do a better job of just getting him involved in high percentage situations.

Dak likes open WR's. He doesn't like throwing to guys that the defense knows exactly what they are doing unless it's a desperate situation.

I Agree..