Twitter: Stephen Jones on potentially drafting a TE to replace Witten this year

tm1119

Reaction score
I’m not sure why folks think we need to waste a draft pick on a TE.. I personally believe we have one of the best group of TE’s in the league, albeit we prob won’t use them.

Gold jacket’ Witten- yet long in the tooth, still manages clutch catches and blocks better than most other TEs in the league which means a lot to a ‘run first’ offense

Hanna- is very underrated.. soft hands, blocks, adequate speed. If Witten wasn’t in his way, he’d prob be considered one of the leaders on offense

Swaim- much like Hanna, yet stuck behind both of them. Prob could improve his blocking, but it’s really hard to tell since he dosent get much playing time. Although, the limited time he has played, he hasn’t disappointed. More ‘real’ reps would help

Gathers- for a Big man..he looked really good last year during camp before he got his bell rung, albeit as a receiver only. He looked lost as a blocker, but that was to be expected. If Dallas would play him to his strengths.. he really could put some stats up. He’s still very young and raw with plenty of potential

Jarwin- honestly I don’t know much ab him, but he made enough of an impression to get Witten to even say good things about him. I’ve heard he was mainly a blocker in college, so that’s a great start. I’ve also read that he catches the ball well, but needs to work on his recognition. Sounds like a promising project.

That’s five TEs already on the roster that has more if not as much potential as any draft pick in this draft.

Witten- 47 years old in football years. #2 TE at best in today’s nfl.

Hanna- Hanna is getting to Ben Bass level on this board...Hanna is pushing 30 and still hasn’t proven anything. He’s going to he 35 and this board will still be claiming his breakout is right around the corner. Should be cut to save $3M or so, extremely replaceable player.

Swaim- Not particularly talented in any aspect of the game. 3rd TE and ST players.

Rico- Nothing but a myth at this point. Haveto operate like he’s not even on the team. if he makes it great, but it’s far from a given he’s an NFL player.

Jarwin- probably won’t be in the league in 2 years.

Sorry for the harsh reality

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Witten has the best hands on the team......TE's have been brought in and none has beat him out, until that happens there's no need to just bring someone in that down grades the position just to make a change for the sake of change.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Witten is the man. I hope he coaches here after he retires and never leaves the Cowboys. I have no problem with him calling the shots. At least he's a football guy which is better than the non-football guys that have been allowed to call the shots.
If Witten is calling the shots then our lack of success is on him. Not sure that's a good thing

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I’m not sure why folks think we need to waste a draft pick on a TE.. I personally believe we have one of the best group of TE’s in the league, albeit we prob won’t use them.

Gold jacket’ Witten- yet long in the tooth, still manages clutch catches and blocks better than most other TEs in the league which means a lot to a ‘run first’ offense

Hanna- is very underrated.. soft hands, blocks, adequate speed. If Witten wasn’t in his way, he’d prob be considered one of the leaders on offense

Swaim- much like Hanna, yet stuck behind both of them. Prob could improve his blocking, but it’s really hard to tell since he dosent get much playing time. Although, the limited time he has played, he hasn’t disappointed. More ‘real’ reps would help

Gathers- for a Big man..he looked really good last year during camp before he got his bell rung, albeit as a receiver only. He looked lost as a blocker, but that was to be expected. If Dallas would play him to his strengths.. he really could put some stats up. He’s still very young and raw with plenty of potential

Jarwin- honestly I don’t know much ab him, but he made enough of an impression to get Witten to even say good things about him. I’ve heard he was mainly a blocker in college, so that’s a great start. I’ve also read that he catches the ball well, but needs to work on his recognition. Sounds like a promising project.

That’s five TEs already on the roster that has more if not as much potential as any draft pick in this draft.
I'm ok with the TEs. My problem is Witten needs to have his snaps reduced.

visionary

Reaction score
If Witten is calling the shots then our lack of success is on him. Not sure that's a good thing

You're missing the point
It not on Witten. The player will want to play and make money

It is up to the GM and the FO to tell him the facts
It is 'ON' no one except Jerry and Stephen if we continue to play and pay under performing players

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
God you guys don't understand funny at all do you. The part about "Jason walking in to JJ's office and saying another wasted pick" is all Jerry and funny as heck. C'mon guys, laughter doesn't hurt anyone. Try it!!

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Folks in here act like it's 1975 and we have 12 picks (1975 --- year of the Dirty Dozen). We obviously have other MORE PRESSING needs than TE. Witten is a football player which this team can use every one of those types it can get.

One other thing, didn't others in the league think enough of Witten's play to select him for the 2018 Pro Bowl albeit as a replacement for Ertz. Then there is the leadership factor, Wit has mucho respect in the locker room.

Sometimes the drama clique in here aren't happy with anything.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Folks in here act like it's 1975 and we have 12 picks (1975 --- year of the Dirty Dozen). We obviously have other MORE PRESSING needs than TE. Witten is a football player which this team can use every one of those types it can get.

One other thing, didn't others in the league think enough of Witten's play to select him for the 2018 Pro Bowl albeit as a replacement for Ertz. Then there is the leadership factor, Wit has mucho respect in the locker room.

Sometimes the drama clique in here aren't happy with anything.
:hammer::hammer::hammer:Thank you!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzales, Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews...
Gonzales finished his career with the Falcons after he played for the Chiefs. And the others are still active players.