Twitter: Stephen Jones on potentially drafting a TE to replace Witten this year

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Wait, is this when you cleverly insinuate that it was all a ho-ho, ha-ha moment, he was just three feet away, you crazy kids, you fell for the gag.

Uh, history is more in the favor of this not being a humorous moment.

This front office has been bent over and taken the shaft more times than they have not.

We have the worst NFL front office in terms of dealing with expensive veterans at the end of the road.

Witten, like Romo, has been a "made man".

His statements are closer to truth and the joke is actually on the franchise at the end of it all.

Double down on the old and grumpy. Well played

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You anti-Witten turncoats are ridiculous. He's a living legend and the team is lucky to still have him.
In terms of pure romanticism, you are spot on.

Witten is a fossil in more ways than one. Players simply don't last with one team from start to finish.

cern

Reaction score
Even Sheldon cooper would ask "sarcasm?" I took stephen' answer as a joke. So did Herman. Can't believe anyone took it seriously.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones was standing about 3 feet away from Jason Witten when he was asked a question about potentially drafting his replacement this spring. His answer was hilarious.
From the responses so far, it's clear that most completely missed this part.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That’s five TEs already on the roster that has more if not as much potential as any draft pick in this draft.
We've got too many TEs as it is, and unless we're using a top pick, we're not getting a guy much better than what we have.
Swaim and Hanna are free agents in 2019. Dump Hanna. Too much cap. Play Swaim only until Rico and Jarwin are ready, then let's see what they can do this year, and if one can replace Witten someday.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd have put considerably more stock in Stephen's reply if Witten wasn't standing 3-feet away from him.

What's a front office type supposed to say when a reporter commits such a blatantly obvious misstep?

Darthkuriboh

Reaction score
In terms of pure romanticism, you are spot on.

Witten is a fossil in more ways than one. Players simply don't last with one team from start to finish.

I would like to introduce you to Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, Tony Romo, Michael Irvin....

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I’m not sure why folks think we need to waste a draft pick on a TE.. I personally believe we have one of the best group of TE’s in the league, albeit we prob won’t use them.

Gold jacket’ Witten- yet long in the tooth, still manages clutch catches and blocks better than most other TEs in the league which means a lot to a ‘run first’ offense

Hanna- is very underrated.. soft hands, blocks, adequate speed. If Witten wasn’t in his way, he’d prob be considered one of the leaders on offense

Swaim- much like Hanna, yet stuck behind both of them. Prob could improve his blocking, but it’s really hard to tell since he dosent get much playing time. Although, the limited time he has played, he hasn’t disappointed. More ‘real’ reps would help

Gathers- for a Big man..he looked really good last year during camp before he got his bell rung, albeit as a receiver only. He looked lost as a blocker, but that was to be expected. If Dallas would play him to his strengths.. he really could put some stats up. He’s still very young and raw with plenty of potential

Jarwin- honestly I don’t know much ab him, but he made enough of an impression to get Witten to even say good things about him. I’ve heard he was mainly a blocker in college, so that’s a great start. I’ve also read that he catches the ball well, but needs to work on his recognition. Sounds like a promising project.

That’s five TEs already on the roster that has more if not as much potential as any draft pick in this draft.
So glad to know i am not the only one who thinks this -- I think we are 100% fine at TE Great post Knotamus my sentiments exactly !

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why I hate player worship....

Stephen is fueling the false narrative trolls. He might be doing it on purpose. It would be funny if he said "watch this", made that comment and then pulled up CZ to give everyone in the front office a good laugh or texted his son and said check out the trolls on the internet now.