Twitter: Stephen Jones on the O Line

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in the front office.

So much for formulating a plan and a back up plan if things fall through. Sounds like they are just flying by the seat of their pants.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in the front office.

So much for formulating a plan and a back up plan if things fall through. Sounds like they are just flying by the seat of their pants.

Of course there's going to be some of that.

You've got a fishbowl of 32 teams and a limited about of food (resources) to feed them.

Any one teams ability to completely and successfully follow through with any plan is very much dependent upon what the other 31 teams do or not do.

Managing an NFL franchise is a much more fluid situation than what many think.

Like Mike Tyson has said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face the first time."

kskboys

Reaction score
He actually played well in four games, starting two in 2016. It was his second season in the league after playing well when he was healthy in college.

Yes, I know his injuries didn't just start. That's the major drawback and the primary reason why we need to look for his replacement as the swing tackle. The possibility that he'll never play like he did in his 2016 performances is the other reason.

The fact that he played well in 2016 is why we don't need to just cut him, though. If we find a player equal or better than he is, then we can move on. There's no reason to move on before that.
Disagree. If a guy can't stay healthy, it's time to get players who can.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not sure how you can ignore several games of good play to grandstand on one bad game where he has less than 2 weeks to prepare.

I am not sure you watched that game. I think Green thought he was a bullfighter that game instead of an OL.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Disagree. If a guy can't stay healthy, it's time to get players who can.

Fine, but where are you going to get them?

Are you going to spend a first- and second-round pick on OL? And even if you do, how do you know you're not going to get a dud, which we've done before even worse than what we've had in Green? If you spend less than that, are you guaranteed that player isn't going to turn out like past turnstiles we've drafted?

Are you going to pour FA dollars into the backup positions at the expense of maybe getting a starting safety or starting middle linebacker? Or are you going to pay a whole lot less and pick up players with just as many warts as Green had last season, knowing Green was better than that when he was on the field in 2016?

Green is cheap and played well two years ago when called upon before his technique got screwed up. If Dallas' new OL coach can get him back to that form where he can step in for Tyron if his back flares up or at RT if there's an injury, then that's a good deal at $877,243. Again, if someone we acquire cheaply (such as a mid-round pick) is better, then that player kicks him off the roster, but it is foolish to do anything about a cheap backup until that happens.

Last edited:

LittleD

Reaction score
The more he talks, the more I hate Stephen Jones

You might as well get used to him because he's gong to be around for decades as opposed to Jerry. Jerry will be pulling
Stephens strings from that big old stadium suite in the sky as he looks down with God on his favorite team with the open roof.

kskboys

Reaction score
Fine, but where are you going to get them?

Are you going to spend a first- and second-round pick on OL? And even if you do, how do you know you're not going to get a dud, which we've done before even worse than what we've had in Green? If you spend less than that, are you guaranteed that player isn't going to turn out like past turnstiles we've drafted?

Are you going to pour FA dollars into the backup positions at the expense of maybe getting a starting safety or starting middle linebacker? Or are you going to pay a whole lot less and pick up players with just as many warts as Green had last season, knowing Green was better than that when he was on the field in 2016?

Green is cheap and played well two years ago when called upon before his technique got screwed up. If Dallas' new OL coach can get him back to that form where he can step in for Tyron if his back flares up or at RT if there's an injury, then that's a good deal at $877,243. Again, if someone is better, then that player kicks him off the roster, but it is foolish to do anything about a cheap backup until that happens.
Worse? What's worse than being mostly unavailable?

If we'd do our homework better, there are OL's to be found in rounds 3-7. We keep ignoring the things that are causing our OL picks to fail: Core strength, lateral agility, quick first step, balance. And in this case, injury history.

We have a ton of late round picks, as usual. To replace Green, you start looking OL in the 3rd, and look for guys w/ the traits named. Quit drafting and depending on the Chaz Green's, Sam Young's, and David Arkins of the draft.

So, in this specific case, since we've done a poor job at backup OL, draft some guys who can at least hold their own in the 4th.

Zach Crabtree, KC McDermott, David Bright, Geron Christian, there's 4 good prospects who might be there in the mid rounds. Love to get Skylar Phillips in the 4th. Taylor Hearn worth a look.

We often make mistakes in drafting OL's because we're so obsessed w/ guys who can block at the 2nd level, we don't pay attention as to whether they can block at the LOS.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Worse? What's worse than being mostly unavailable?

If we'd do our homework better, there are OL's to be found in rounds 3-7. We keep ignoring the things that are causing our OL picks to fail: Core strength, lateral agility, quick first step, balance. And in this case, injury history.

We have a ton of late round picks, as usual. To replace Green, you start looking OL in the 3rd, and look for guys w/ the traits named. Quit drafting and depending on the Chaz Green's, Sam Young's, and David Arkins of the draft.

So, in this specific case, since we've done a poor job at backup OL, draft some guys who can at least hold their own in the 4th.

Zach Crabtree, KC McDermott, David Bright, Geron Christian, there's 4 good prospects who might be there in the mid rounds. Love to get Skylar Phillips in the 4th. Taylor Hearn worth a look.

We often make mistakes in drafting OL's because we're so obsessed w/ guys who can block at the 2nd level, we don't pay attention as to whether they can block at the LOS.

The third round has about a 40 percent success rate for drafting offensive linemen. The fourth is around 29 percent. By the seventh round, you're down to 9 percent. Either way, the percentages aren't in your favor. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try, just that we shouldn't count on replacing Green until someone proves worthy of replacing him.

As far as what's worse than being unavailable. What's worse in 2016 would have been having someone like Byron Bell stepping in for Tyron and Free when they were injured for a few games. I'd rather have the Green of 2016 available for a few games, than have someone like Bell available for a full season to be the backup tackle. Now, if the Green of 2018 plays like the Green of 2017, then we better hope that we have better than that on the roster as well.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You might as well get used to him because he's gong to be around for decades as opposed to Jerry. Jerry will be pulling
Stephens strings from that big old stadium suite in the sky as he looks down with God on his favorite team with the open roof.
Im just amazed Stephen was able to do an interview from the Bahamas

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What he said was true, we have 4 good OL. Green needs to develop, he's cheap and can be cut in camp if the new coach can't fix him. Stephen should have said we are looking to add 1 or 2 guys via FA or the draft.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You guys will get wound up and cry over literally anything.
Stephen is saying he has to go sign a 5th OL better than Jonathon Cooper and that they don't feel Chaz Green is that guy right now and you guys couldn't cry fast enough.

This is good news.

They have an entire draft to go.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Please tell me that is just happy talk about Chaz Green. Not sure how they can bring him back. Also sounds like Collins back to LG a strong possibility.

Maybe Tyron to Center ? Who knows...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am not sure you watched that game. I think Green thought he was a bullfighter that game instead of an OL.

i watched it fine. He struggled with his drop step either stepping too wide or without depth. That spoke to me of his time at guard where you are not supposed to move laterally very much and short set a lot. He also struggled timing his punch. That both reminded me of LC's early struggles timing his punch as well as Green's time at guard again where everything is bang bang and you cannot afford to be patient.

I see a clear cause and effect relationship between the move and Green's performance that also considers the average to above average play at OG and OT we saw from him in 2016 and at guard early in the year.

Green was moved to guard in minicamp and practiced there for near 6 months before he was moved back to OT two weeks before the ATL game. I get the displeasure at the performance but I put that on the coaches and scouts for putting green in that position moreso than blaming Green because he cannot switch spots and perform well at the drop of a hat.

I am confident that if Green can be given time to practice at either positions he will be fine just as he was fine before when given adequate time to prepare. The moral of the story is that Green is not a plug and play player and needs time to prepare.

diefree666

Reaction score
relying on Green is an idiot move as his history has shown. So what if he played well in 2 games a year ago? His injury history and latest performance should make any SENSIBLE person consider anything they get from him gravy. Nothing else. Certainly not someone you want to rely upon.