Twitter: Stephen Jones On Trades

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
just making a trade in today's nfl is hard enough. but throw in the perceived "hoodwinked" factor and it becomes even more difficult. you can't just make a trade, you have to give the perception you made the other party look like a fool.
Our, or atleast my most hated team has a GM that seems to be able to do it with relative ease, then follows it up with a super bowl win

cern

Reaction score
If our FO can sit there and think we can lose hitch and Lee will stay healthy for 16 games and we don't need a LB in the first round. There really is no helping us. Unless they fill the need thru FA. But I don't see any names there that make up for hitch nevermind filling in for Lee
I think they'll try to strengthen the lb corps thru the draft. they have a lot of picks this year. moving up in the first usually entails giving up your own #1 and usually a second. sometimes a player must be thrown in and we don't have any players of that ilk. and yet, we're due a splash.

cern

Reaction score
Our, or atleast my most hated team has a GM that seems to be able to do it with relative ease, then follows it up with a super bowl win
their owner, jeffrie (sp) lurie let chip Kelly win out over Howie. but to his credit, lurie quickly came to his senses and restored things in a hurry. if only our owner would be so astute when it comes to the position of general manager.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
their owner, jeffrie (sp) lurie let chip Kelly win out over Howie. but to his credit, lurie quickly came to his senses and restored things in a hurry. if only our owner would be so astute when it comes to the position of general manager.
yea, I hear ya......it's so obvious who the real GM was when Jimmy was here because it went belly up after that.....no way Jerry could have pulled off the Herschel Walker trade regardless of how bad Jerry wants full credit, the evidence is proof.................Had Jerry copied Murchison and just stood behind and let Jimmy and his staff run the football end Jerry would have looked like an absolute genius instead of the buffoon we've watched for the last 24 years to stroke his ego.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

So. He was not really aware of that? The thought never really occurred to him?

Again we are run by morons. Trading should be another avenue to improve your team. These idiots don’t even think about it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
yea, I hear ya......it's so obvious who the real GM was when Jimmy was here because it went belly up after that.....no way Jerry could have pulled off the Herschel Walker trade regardless of how bad Jerry wants full credit, the evidence is proof.................Had Jerry copied Murchison and just stood behind and let Jimmy and his staff run the football end Jerry would have looked like an absolute genius instead of the buffoon we've watched for the last 24 years to stroke his ego.
You have to be creative to make trades.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the fans are angry and the draft is in dallas jerry will make a splash to get the sheep back to opening their pocket books

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You have to be creative to make trades.
You also have to handle how information comes and goes.

Look at some of these trades lately. Anyone expect Peters to be traded? Alex Smith? Not once did you hear Andy Reid or Brett Veach go, "well, we are probably going to try to trade". They were not floated through the media.

Once the Joneses open their mouth about a player, teams know that if they are simply patient, they can wait for the cut.

Gameover

Reaction score
Why haven’t you made any ‘splash’ moves recently! It’s getting mighty hard for us the keep up the ‘splash’ narrative! I think we’ll be fine though.. the public is full of shallow thinkers, and any negative slant will always stick when it comes to Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You also have to handle how information comes and goes.

Look at some of these trades lately. Anyone expect Peters to be traded? Alex Smith? Not once did you hear Andy Reid or Brett Veach go, "well, we are probably going to try to trade". They were not floated through the media.

Once the Joneses open their mouth about a player, teams know that if they are simply patient, they can wait for the cut.

What kind of idiot would announce to the world that you are either going to trade or CUT the player?

Now no one will bother trying to trade.

Ky31

Reaction score
If I may...I think we target Sutton honestly IF and ONLY if we move up. If we think he will be gone at 19 and another team in front of us has a need at WR...say,in the top 12...I can see us trading up. Not sure but I would prefer we stay put and take either Payne,Hernandez or Edmunds at 19. I see Edmunds being a safety under Kris Richard...like a Kam Chancellor type.
This will not happen and would be terrible if it did!!!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think its time for a HUGE surprise in the first 2 rounds of the draft.
Why would the Cowboys do that? Work the draft and take your pick. Don't waste unnecessary premium resources on first round picks. Use the extra 4th, 5th and 6th rounders to get into day 2 if you want. There are a ton of great players that can really help the 53. Coming away with 3 day 2 picks (4 picks total in the first 3 rounds) is far smarter than moving up from 19 and only getting 2 players from the first 3 rounds.

Verdict

Reaction score
If we drafted a QB in round one, I'd be completely distraught, no matter who it is. I want to complete this year, so I want a draft pick who will start or play in a serious rotation at his position.

I think that is a short sighted thought process. If the Cowboys have any remote doubt about whether Dak is a franchise QB then they should keep their options open. That doesn't mean force a QB pick even if that's the case.

But if they have a top grade on a sliding QB it would be idiotic to pass on one if he is clearly the highest ranked player on their board.

Having said that, I doubt that a QB will be the highest ranked player on our board when we pick because I think the QBs will go early and often.

cds99

Reaction score
Why? I haven't heard of any off field problems w/ Mayfield. Why do you think he'll be out of the league?

Just some information I have read on a few articles. I remember one game I watched he was grabbing and jerking on his crotch at what seemed to be at some fans of the opposing team. Just not what I would think of when I see a franchise qb. We will see in a few years. Do some research, don’t take my word brother.

Gameover

Reaction score
They will not draft a QB

Haven’t you heard... Dak is a top jersey seller! A key factor in Jerry’s decision making process

They’ll take a WR in the first before they’ll take a QB

Cowboys have given ALL indication that they are all in with Dak.

This offseason and draft is all about putting the proper pieces in place for him to succeed

Last edited: