Twitter: Stephen Jones paying quarterbacks too much ‘decreases your chances to win’

reddyuta

Reaction score
This is just a dumb comment by Stephen.they have already decided to pay Dak,A million or two more wont make any difference,if they were so concerned about the cap they should have drafted Love.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Imagine Todd France and Dak reading this. Oh the franchise tag at 32 million is a fine price. But 35 million at four years is “too much”. :laugh:

Pretty funny because they’d rather tag him/have him for 2 years than sign him for 4 at his asking price. Wonder why?

I’m thinking as much as Dalton is a stop-gap, they probably think Dak is not much better than that.

Polkton31

Reaction score
I'll go one further both Zeke and Coop we're over-paid due to our ineptness at QB.
Think about it where would Dak be along with our offense without ZEKE and Coop?
NOWHERE!!!!

P.S. Those 6 games without Zeke scared Jerry into paying him a ton of cash...:(
Ok, so based on this assessment... Any other NFL QB would excel if he lost his number one RB and number one WR. Yeah, that makes sense. One other thing... You said Cooper was overpaid because of the ineptness of Dak... So... The question I have is... Did they overpay him for the next QB to have? Also... According to you, Dak has flawed mechanics, can't read defenses, and couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. So.., How did they evaluate Cooper? How did Cooper have almost 1,200 yards receiving? I mean... Why pay a WR that kind of money if, according to you, your QB can't complete a pass further downfield than his center?

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Dak Haters come out and play!

It will be wonderful watching this thread.

We've gone from $25M - $28M July 2019 now it's at least $32M per...

Have our chances to win decreased?

Surprise surprise Cowboys BUILT A FORMIDABLE TEAM through draft and free agency...

What is the title of this thread again

Stephen Jones will sing the same tune 10 years from now....

Brother let's be logical here and take the emotion out of any argument ( i m saying it as in general not directing to you) .So all of us in here and most fan want this club to do better and win a SB...... it has been a long time...there are many sides to be blamed for this mediocrity fr sure.... management coaches players etc...
so if someone have a different take on a player it does not mean they hate the guy they just have a different point of view on the case.We are all guilty of such reaction and i am the first to admit it of letting out emotion get involved.,
Now if someone saying nonsense i just move on and ignore it

much respect

Polkton31

Reaction score
Pretty funny because they’d rather tag him/have him for 2 years than sign him for 4 at his asking price. Wonder why?

I’m thinking as much as Dalton is a stop-gap, they probably think Dak is not much better than that.
If this statement is true... Why haven't they rescinded the Tag? I mean, wouldn't that save the team a minimum of almost 25 million?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
well looks like the jones are going to mess up another season for the dallas cowboys new coach loaded offense and they don't want to sign their franchise qb this is just dumb beyond belief

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s very interesting that Stephen is openly saying it to the media.

Everyone here knows I like Dak and think he is a good enough QB to win a title with. I don’t want to re-hash that here.

That being said I do sincerely hope the cowboys hold steady and get the salary cap friendliest deal possible. I don’t particularly care about AAV. I care about the guaranteed money and the ability of the team to spread out the cap charges to remain competitive.

All that being said. I really don’t think Andy Dalton is the answer and as I’ve said before. If they are going to move on from Dak I don’t just want a recycled scrub. They need to do it with a first round pick (even though it’s risky that they may end up busting too).

Big D

Reaction score
Translation: Dak is a leader. He has that IT factor … as a bus driver, and we need to build a team around him. Now, say, if he were Patrick Mahomes, we could pay him as the top quarterback because those guys don't require a stacked team to win a Super Bowl. Maybe we could get away with going without top talent at certain positions if we had a Patrick Mahomes. But for Dak, we need to continue to build a team around him to ensure our chances of winning a Super Bowl.
So Mahomes is doing it all without top talent at certain positions? What positions would those be? Just curious.

Flamma

Reaction score
I’m actually surprised they are acknowledging it.

Good on them..

Now do something about it and don’t just ignore it.

Right now you have to overpay your QB because of the Eagles and Rams.. Don’t play that game.

Set your number and if Dak signs then fine.. If he doesn’t then fine.

It all depends on what % the Cowboys are looking at for the QB to make in order to have a chance at winning a SB. Is it around 14%? If they sign Dak it will be impossible to get down to that number without going into the 20s per year.

_sturt_

Reaction score
While the board has some good conversations this morning referencing things Stephen told Florio, I'm not seeing any talk about, what I thought, was arguably the most compelling comment made, albeit one that mostly affirms from the DAL FO what many of us already thought to be the case...

... ie, might as well shut down the whole "when is Dak gonna get signed?!?!?!?" discussion, and be content to wake up sometime in July when it's actually a viable topic again.

(NOT that my inner cynic thinks there's a chance in hell that shut down is gonna happen, of course. :D )

HellCrowe

Reaction score
If this statement is true... Why haven't they rescinded the Tag? I mean, wouldn't that save the team a minimum of almost 25 million?

He is still an asset. Can’t read everything face value. The Cowboys hold the cards. If things have gone sour, they still could flip him for even more. If it hasn’t, you have him signed for 4-5 years.

I’ve said this many times but here for you. Every team already has the best option on their team. You don’t find that in the open market. So can’t use that as a selling point especially with the Dalton signing. They see $$ and picks when it comes to Dak you just don’t rescind that.

Techsass

Reaction score
They've been saying they are all in on Dak from the get go. It's a strange bargaining technique if you ask me, but Jerry is a much better salesman than I am.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak is basically taking the same stance most players take. The cap is a team problem. I don't care if we win, and I don't care who I play for as long as I am paid the highest possible. We've seen players do this. They go from a winning team to a bum team for a few extra million. And not life altering extra money. I guess it's a pride thing.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They've been saying they are all in on Dak from the get go. It's a strange bargaining technique if you ask me, but Jerry is a much better salesman than I am.
Yep, they're all in on Dak, and Dalton is called upon his release by Big Mike and accepts kicker money to come to Big D.
Something is up and only the agenda blind can't or refuse to comprehend it.

Swagger

Reaction score
People will take a different view.

Ultimately I want the team to win a Superbowl.

The question is would you rather Dak Prescott or Andy Dalton plus a stud pass rusher and a stud play maker in the secondary?

I'm going with the latter and drafting a QB high within a year or two.

It's not about hate it's about winning. Plain and simple.

I have watched Dak Prescott play over the past four years and he just isn't worth having over a QB that would arguably produce similar results (even if slightly worse) plus a stud pass rusher AND a stud play maker in the secondary.

Prescott is way overrated on the premise that availability is his best ability. You have to appreciate and respect his durability but not to the extent of grossly overpaying him.