Twitter: Stephen Jones paying quarterbacks too much ‘decreases your chances to win’

_sturt_

Reaction score
Here's a maybe stupid question, so forgive me bein stupid on this point... worse, stupid and too lazy to look it up... but in the NBA, of course, there is an ultimate limitation on contracts to just 5 years, but none in baseball, and as far as I've known, none in football.

But now we have a new CBA, of course... is there anything in there that sets a maximum length?

I say that, even as I feel almost lock-certain that, the untold story is that the agreement is done, but that both parties have also agreed to wait until July in case there would be other developments in the course of two months time that would have some implications.

In other words, my opinion is that there is no actual consequential dispute at this point at all... money or years.

But if we assume they are indeed deadlocked, it would be intriguing to know if the parties could conceivably meet somewhere upstream of the 4/5 years mark, and instead agree to cross the stream at 8 or 9 or 10 years, ie, a significantly longer deal where, ostensibly, both obligate themselves to greater risks.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pretty funny because they’d rather tag him/have him for 2 years than sign him for 4 at his asking price. Wonder why?

I’m thinking as much as Dalton is a stop-gap, they probably think Dak is not much better than that.
Then why don’t they rescind the offer and just go with Dalton?

75boyz

Reaction score

Starcity 214's post should be required reading in order to participate in QB discussions.
To not understand these most basic questions he asked regarding fundmental QB qameplanning and how Dak is openly perceived league wide by DCs is rather telling about a fan base, lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You guys aren’t getting it.

One the tag won’t be 32MM, it’s likely less.

Teo, the years are the big issue here. Dallas wants 5 for cap purposes. It would be in line with what Wentz and Goff got.
Oh I’m getting it. I’m getting that money ain’t a issue here regardless of those trying to create that narrative.

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s one of the reasons a bunch of us wanted the extension to happen last year and kept arguing over and over again it was the smart thing to do over the “let him play his contract out and prove himself” crowd

I understand it would have been much better to sign him before the 2019 season if they intend to sign him. But I haven't seen anyone give cap space as the reason. Most people here don't realize how an extension is applied. Proof of that was in the Zeke threads before and after his contract.

Praxit

Reaction score
....Zeke pulled a Ewok on them....lol. Not letting that happen with Dakky baby.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Negotiation fake news because he paid Romo 2 times. So he was not trying to win with Romo?

zerofill

Reaction score
Yah, they want him for longer because they don't have confidence in him.

The QB guru has spoken.

DALTON BABY!!!!!

No Willie is absolutely correct...they want 5 years specifically to spread the cap hit out. It changes a lot in cap space between 4 and 5 years. That is the difference between two or three more possible additions to the roster that could possibly make a difference.

Most teams can't get lucky enough to find a Mahomes... who is a difference maker on any team you put him on. So you need to build a team that any NFL caliber QB can utilize, to give them the best chance to succeed.

Dak knows this... he isn't that dumb. So I don't understand why he would have such a hard time with it. Once you start getting into contracts that are $30 friggin plus million a year, and $80mil plus in guarantees etc....you have to give up something. Like a chance to sign a much bigger contract later, is something you are going to miss 1 year of... big friggin deal at that point lol.

I mean are these athletes trying to buy a planet in another solar system to live on later or what?

This is all assuming that the 4 year vs 5 year is the hold up.

I mean honestly with the offense we have built here, I don't care who the damn QB is, if you can't succeed with this, you aren't succeeding anywhere.

Paxton Lynch should be able to succeed in this offense lol.

Gallup, Amari Cooper, Lamb, the line, Zeke.... what the heck else do we need on offense to get a deep playoff run here?

Does Dak want to be a champion? I mean have people truly looked at what Brady made in comparison to the rest of the NFL QBs out there?

You can still be rich, and have a ring too... Does being a Super Bowl champion really matter so little to these players now? Has society really changed that much?

You can be rich and have something that many making more than you never have, but it should mean everything to these guys...

DYscXB7.png

He may not have made as much as some of the QBs far below him in talent... but he can always go BAM!

I mean that has to mean something, or the game is just a job to you.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's why I always liked Bill Parcells team building methods. He liked to build up on the defensive side of the ball, get a good RB and put a bus driver at QB.

I always like the Vince Lombardi method myself...... nothing like having your qb barely break 2200 yards and 14 td passes in a season and still kicking ***........smh

Sure, try to play Bill Parcells football with todays rules. To play Bill Parcells style... hey, kets draft the next LT. Should be able to handle that with a 3rd round pick next year.

75boyz

Reaction score
No Willie is absolutely correct...they want 5 years specifically to spread the cap hit out. It changes a lot in cap space between 4 and 5 years. That is the difference between two or three more possible additions to the roster that could possibly make a difference.

Most teams can't get lucky enough to find a Mahomes... who is a difference maker on any team you put him on. So you need to build a team that any NFL caliber QB can utilize, to give them the best chance to succeed.

Dak knows this... he isn't that dumb. So I don't understand why he would have such a hard time with it. Once you start getting into contracts that are $30 friggin plus million a year, and $80mil plus in guarantees etc....you have to give up something. Like a chance to sign a much bigger contract later, is something you are going to miss 1 year of... big friggin deal at that point lol.

I mean are these athletes trying to buy a planet in another solar system to live on later or what?

I mean honestly with the offense we have built here, I don't care who the damn QB is, if you can't succeed with this, you aren't succeeding anywhere.

Gallup, Amari Cooper, Lamb, the line, Zeke.... what the heck else do we need on offense to get a deep playoff run here?

Does Dak want to be a champion? I mean have people truly looked at what Brady made in comparison to the rest of the NFL QBs out there?

You can still be rich, and have a ring too... Does being a Super Bowl champion really matter so little to these players now? Has society really changed that much?

You can be rich and have something that many making more than you never have, but it should mean everything to these guys...

DYscXB7.png

He may not have made as much as some of the QBs far below him in talent... but he can always go BAM!

Excellent break down; Play to win a championship or Play to make more money. And why not a little bit of both...?
Outstanding post.

Oneiros

Reaction score
We really should have gotten this done last off season had we truly wanted Dak as our franchise QB going forward.

The team made a huge mistake by caving to the Ewok and should have just let him hold out and fined him.

We saw what happened with the Gurley disaster so shouldn't have let a RB dictate the contract especially considering that between his suspensions, etc he haven't hardly honored his original one.

BigD_95

Reaction score

DYscXB7.png

Amen!

fivetwos

Reaction score
For the life of me I cant understand why the team is hesitant to let him bet on himself and sign a shorter term deal.

I just simply cannot figure out the logic.

Qcard

Reaction score
You shouldn’t have to use stats and metrics to prove that a player is what you say he is.
You shouldn't have to use stats and metrics to prove that a player is NOT what you say he is.....

See how dumb your opinion sounds when reversed. If we don't use metrics we are left at the mercy of people like you......there has to be a standard of stats and metrics for players on this level.

The numbers can lie and you don’t have to be completely stubborn to them because people can bend numbers and make them dance whatever dance they like.
The numbers can tell the truth and you have to be completely adverse to them because people can ignore numbers and make them dance whatever dance they like.

See how dumb e stance is when reversed...

That is why we have Standards or you have @CATCH17 like Notre Dame QB Kizer telling us he's Brady/Cam...his fans think so maybe too his family...but Stats and metrics disagree

Ive never needed stats to know the guys like Peyton Manning is a great player.
Neither did most of the league.... surprise surprise Overall Pick. Are you taking credit for the obvious based on your eye test???

Eli Manning would fall in the Dak category of a guy that fans would need to defend with stats because what you see on the Televsion isn’t all that great
Eli doesn't need defending in my book. He's a first Ballot HOF.. toughest SOB I have ever seen, unflappable....also has W/L stats and metrics case closed.....

I can watch Patrick Mahomes play and I don’t need a stat to tell me he is a rare player
So what do did the NFL....that is why he's a top pick. You aren't a savant because you could see Mahomes was special Usually top picks are....
But Dak is a 4th RD pick and fell for various reasons. But Stats and metrics show he's a Winner and coachable.

The best players don’t need this type of statistical defending.. Guys like Dak do.
I agree they need defending from Haters with a savant eye test and unquantifiable "trust is me" trope

Most of these guys have numbers that are so similar that you’d have to be extremely biased to ignore the situations other QBs play in.
That is why we take a large playing sample 4 years 64 Starts and playoffs....

Dak is deserving and the Cowboys will do the right thing as they are

Last edited:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Brother!!! I am dealing with the Dak Haters on a level worthy of their illogical position.

I don't have to go down memory lane. Dak Haters have proven their illogical stance is rooted in some QB whisperer eye test that is only quantifiable in "the game I watch" or "my experience" ignoring all standard QB metrics/ stats in which Dak is improved or Superior.

The Goal post has been moved from Day One!

Now, there are many genuine Cowboy fans whom just don't like Dak's playing style. That is fair those are NOT Dak Haters because most fans respect Dak's stats, leadership and off-field character.

Dak Haters have invented Dink and Dak, Bus Driver ..... conveniently ignore W/L record, only look at 2019 w/L, downgrade wins and blame entire losses on Dak.

Dak Haters are a disease in Cowboy Family.

It must be eradicated B.r.o.t.h.e.r!!!!:confused::mad::muttley:

I understand you very well but you have to remember it is a public forum and everyone has an opinion we might agree with some we might not ..I personally don't think Dak worth that much because of his inconsistency and i prefer if we have another option but it is the Jones' team they can sign anyone they want i won't stress myself for something i have no control over.......
.As for Dak he will be soon a multi millionaire and once he has been paid he won't care if he has hater or even lovers .

Go Cowboys