Twitter: Stephen Jones paying quarterbacks too much ‘decreases your chances to win’

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
From what Im to understand the money is agreed upon. Its the years 4 VS 5. They want 5. I think 4 is better anyways. Dak is tied to McCarthy. McCarthy's deal is 5 years, but coaches are usually fired the year before their contract is up if they arent going to be kept. If we reach point, then it is time for a rebuild and Prescott will be entering his 30's. At which point he comes off your books when you are hiring a new HC

1 year on the tag, 4 year contract next year.

We should see how McCarthy and Dak work together. See what Dalton has. See what Romo 2 has. See what the QB payscale is like. Removing uncertainty makes it easier to make a deal.

The 1 year trial is good to evaluate McCarthy too. If Jerry doesn't like him, he'll have some QB options for the next HC.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Maybe this will help?

Then came the use of a fourth overall pick for Ezekiel Elliott. That may be even more telling, because Garrett didn’t hide that he wanted to run the offense through Elliott. It became even more clear once Tony Romo was supplanted by Elliott’s fellow rookie, Dak Prescott. Despite the growing body of data and analysis that passing the ball is by far more effective than handing it off in almost all situations, including first and most second downs, the Cowboys remained fully committed to establishing the run. Far too often, they attempted to do that with tight formations and multiple tight ends. For years, the most effective package for Dallas to pass or run has been 11 personnel, when the defense could not load up the box. But again and again, the Cowboys would show run and hand it off, with frequently disappointing results.

Just like showing the same thing over and over to the opposing offense and getting burned.

I have observed before that Garrett put a lot of energy and resources into building a team to win - in 1995. The game has changed dramatically since the glory days when Emmitt Smith was a fearsome weapon that helped carry the team to three Lombardi trophies. Garrett had a lot of good qualities, but changing with the times apparently was not one of them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No Willie is absolutely correct...they want 5 years specifically to spread the cap hit out. It changes a lot in cap space between 4 and 5 years. That is the difference between two or three more possible additions to the roster that could possibly make a difference.

Most teams can't get lucky enough to find a Mahomes... who is a difference maker on any team you put him on. So you need to build a team that any NFL caliber QB can utilize, to give them the best chance to succeed.

Dak knows this... he isn't that dumb. So I don't understand why he would have such a hard time with it. Once you start getting into contracts that are $30 friggin plus million a year, and $80mil plus in guarantees etc....you have to give up something. Like a chance to sign a much bigger contract later, is something you are going to miss 1 year of... big friggin deal at that point lol.

I mean are these athletes trying to buy a planet in another solar system to live on later or what?

This is all assuming that the 4 year vs 5 year is the hold up.

I mean honestly with the offense we have built here, I don't care who the damn QB is, if you can't succeed with this, you aren't succeeding anywhere.

Paxton Lynch should be able to succeed in this offense lol.

Gallup, Amari Cooper, Lamb, the line, Zeke.... what the heck else do we need on offense to get a deep playoff run here?

Does Dak want to be a champion? I mean have people truly looked at what Brady made in comparison to the rest of the NFL QBs out there?

You can still be rich, and have a ring too... Does being a Super Bowl champion really matter so little to these players now? Has society really changed that much?

You can be rich and have something that many making more than you never have, but it should mean everything to these guys...

DYscXB7.png

He may not have made as much as some of the QBs far below him in talent... but he can always go BAM!

I mean that has to mean something, or the game is just a job to you.

Of course they want 5 years to spread the cap out. They also want it to get more of a bargain in the later years.

Willies laughable point was that the Cowboys wanting Dak for 5 years shows they have no confidence in him.

Which is laughable. Wanting him for longer would indicate they have utmost confidence in him. If they didn't, the contract would be 2 or 3 years.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The whole reason they went ahead and signed Zeke..

was to control Dak so he would stay in Dallas when his time came.

Same with Amari.

Now the same with drafting CeeDee.

It's all been to entice Dak to sign.

Still..no signing.

Team has spent 3 dynasty payrolls supporting Dak as the future.

Still nothing.

Its bizarre.

Defies logic.

I will say this, with all the signings, FAs and draftees and new coaches..

Dak has inspired the whole chain reaction and we are alot better now with him or without him.

slick325

Reaction score
Paying non-elite QBs too much money decreases your chances to win or play for championships.

That is the more accurate statement Stephen Jones. An elite QB can carry his team but still needs help. So anyone short of that needs even more help and that costs cap space.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
The Jones’ talk out both sides of their mouths. They’re going to overpay Dak just like they did Zeke. They said they weren’t going to set the market with Zeke and then that’s exactly what they did.

Reactions: BAT

blueblood70

Reaction score
for one SJ is correct at this point I think QB markets are out of control given 75% of them cant carry a team and are not worth the deals they are getting, similar to what the rookies were getting way back when until the league put cap on rookie contracts...

to be fair the league cant dictate contracts for one position but they could add a clause that no one player can make more then 15% of the current cap or something that ballpark....

theres not many QBs I can list who should b making 2.5 times the next best skill player in the league and its out of control..

why should the Jones's join the other stupid teams bad decsions an severely overpay for Dak when they dont have too? you offer a n employee what you think hes worth , or part ways..

this isnt anti Dak but I dont think AC or Dlaw should have got their deals either but at least theres are15 mil less then Daks asking price..therein lies the issue..

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I like dak has a top 12 qb. If they want to keep him they have to pay a ton. If not then they better at least get something out of dak and move on. I won't worry until July about this situation.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Hey Stephen, maybe if you would not have pissed away Dak's 4 year rookie deal with your obsession over Clappy you might have a ring right now.

Russel Wilson...………...won a ring on rookie deal
Carson Wentz...………...won a ring on rookie deal
Patrick Mahommes…….won a ring on rookie deal
Jared Goff...…….……….almost won a ring on rookie deal, lost in the SB.

Do you see a pattern here Stevie, teams dont piss away their franchise QB's rookie deal with a head coach in perpetual training for a decade. They strike while the iron is hot with a good roster and good coaching BEFORE they have to pay their QB monopoly money.

What does your analytics say about that?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That Lurie guy must not have ever heard of Analytics.

I don't remember Lurie telling Wentz to take a team friendly deal.. ever.

Why didn't the Jones make Romo take a team friendly deal?

If you're smart, you can read between the lines and see what the front office really thinks of Dak.

The rest is just lip service..
Talk to me after they sign him

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The FO's reluctance to sign Dak to the generous contract that they say he's so worthy of certainly leaves doubts about their true sincerity. It's one thing to throw verbal bouquets in his direction, yet another to prove it with an act of generosity to validate their honesty. Both Jerry and Stephen are known to say things that they oftentimes fail to back up. Half truths are their specialty. I'm sure we're basically saying the same things in different terms.

Only they aren't reluctant.

Swagger

Reaction score
They don’t worry about getting anything for anyone else. Got nothing for Byron and Quinn...nothing for Hitchens....
Quinn was only really going to be a one year rental regardless.

Good point regarding Jones and Hitchens. I never really thought that we got nothing for Jones!?

It's always different though with a QB. No way Jerry lets Prescott leave for nothing.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I see the Eagle fans are in a near panic at the thought of Dallas not hamstringing themselves with another bad contract. Great to see Stephen Jones talk like this. I wish he had handled a few other deals in this manner. Tell the player you love them but that in order to put together a winning team, you can't pay everyone huge deals.

Regardless, Dak has 3 choices:
- Hold out and pray that Dalton doesn't bus drive his way to looking competent
- Sign the tag and then do this again next year where the cap might actually go down due to the virus
- Sign whatever deal Dallas has offered

As long as Dallas isn't insulting Dak with their offer, this is a pretty easy decision. I worry that his agent has his heels dug in and feels he must "win" this negotiation.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to use stats and metrics to prove that a player is NOT what you say he is.....

See how dumb your opinion sounds when reversed. If we don't use metrics we are left at the mercy of people like you......there has to be a standard of stats and metrics for players on this level.

The numbers can tell the truth and you have to be completely adverse to them because people can ignore numbers and make them dance whatever dance they like.

See how dumb e stance is when reversed...

That is why we have Standards or you have @CATCH17 like Notre Dame QB Kizer telling us he's Brady/Cam...his fans think so maybe too his family...but Stats and metrics disagree

Neither did most of the league.... surprise surprise Overall Pick. Are you taking credit for the obvious based on your eye test???

Eli doesn't need defending in my book. He's a first Ballot HOF.. toughest SOB I have ever seen, unflappable....also has W/L stats and metrics case closed.....

So what do did the NFL....that is why he's a top pick. You aren't a savant because you could see Mahomes was special Usually top picks are....
But Dak is a 4th RD pick and fell for various reasons. But Stats and metrics show he's a Winner and coachable.

I agree they need defending from Haters with a savant eye test and unquantifiable "trust is me" trope

That is why we take a large playing sample 4 years 64 Starts and playoffs....

Dak is deserving and the Cowboys will do the right thing as they are

Ah.. You thought Eli was really good.. No wonder you like Dak. I see where the standard is now.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Maybe this will help?

Then came the use of a fourth overall pick for Ezekiel Elliott. That may be even more telling, because Garrett didn’t hide that he wanted to run the offense through Elliott. It became even more clear once Tony Romo was supplanted by Elliott’s fellow rookie, Dak Prescott. Despite the growing body of data and analysis that passing the ball is by far more effective than handing it off in almost all situations, including first and most second downs, the Cowboys remained fully committed to establishing the run. Far too often, they attempted to do that with tight formations and multiple tight ends. For years, the most effective package for Dallas to pass or run has been 11 personnel, when the defense could not load up the box. But again and again, the Cowboys would show run and hand it off, with frequently disappointing results.

Just like showing the same thing over and over to the opposing offense and getting burned.

I have observed before that Garrett put a lot of energy and resources into building a team to win - in 1995. The game has changed dramatically since the glory days when Emmitt Smith was a fearsome weapon that helped carry the team to three Lombardi trophies. Garrett had a lot of good qualities, but changing with the times apparently was not one of them.
Did you just start watching Football in 2016?

Honest question, otherwise you would already know the weapon that Zeke was in 2016. The league had already gone the way of the passing game and the Nickel was quickly becoming the base defense. The Hybred that is the Honey Badger was coming into vogue.

When everyone else was ZIGGING, the Cowboys decided to utilize the maulers they had up front, and started ZAGGING. This is the magic that was 2016. Teams have followed the Cowboys lead but it is nearly impossible to find a work horse that is Zeke.

He is 1 of a kind. We are blessed to have him. It is shameful for you to reconstruct history to diminish Zeke's acomplishments & his worth to this team.

I know where this stems from. It goes all the way back to the arguments of "2016". Many were salivating at the idea of Romo playing with Zeke. We would point out the obscene advantage the Cowboys would have with Zeke & Romo. We would point out the fact that Dak benefited from having Zeke in the backfield. Some are even of the opinion that Dak owes his whole carear to Zeke

This triggers many here, yourself included. In order to counter this argument, you create this false narrative provided with outlandish stats that doesnt factor into reality.

You claim he is overrated, then try to make it appear as though Dak is carrying Zeke on his shoulders. All in an attempt to discredit his Paycheck.

You claim if we only paid him 10 million then we could easily give Dak 45 million. Then you take the stance that, if he doesnt like 10 million a year we should let him go.

Because in your opinion RB's are a dime a dozen and Zeke is not special.

I can only pity you . . . Because you are not able to appreciate what will be one of the all time great Cowboys.

NotForLong

Reaction score
The whole reason they went ahead and signed Zeke..

was to control Dak so he would stay in Dallas when his time came.

Same with Amari.

Now the same with drafting CeeDee.

It's all been to entice Dak to sign.

Still..no signing.

Team has spent 3 dynasty payrolls supporting Dak as the future.

Still nothing.

Its bizarre.

Defies logic.

I will say this, with all the signings, FAs and draftees and new coaches..

Dak has inspired the whole chain reaction and we are alot better now with him or without him.
You are delusional.

The Cowboys signed Zeke because he is the straw that stirs the Drink

They signed Amari because he is talented enough to get open for Dak & we traded a 1st rd pick for him.

Even got a discount.

CeeDee was unexpected and feel into thier laps.

This off season is nearing an end and there isn't anyone left to spend 31 million on.

Hes on the books and 2 starting calibur QB's is a great luxury to have.

Mike will have an open competition in camp.

Dak is terrible in Practice.

Dalton will corral the starting job.

Then you will realize that this team is built with the Cowboys best interest at heart . . Not Dak"s

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You are delusional.

The Cowboys signed Zeke because he is the straw that stirs the Drink

They signed Amari because he is talented enough to get open for Dak & we traded a 1st rd pick for him.

Even got a discount.

CeeDee was unexpected and feel into thier laps.

This off season is nearing an end and there isn't anyone left to spend 31 million on.

Hes on the books and 2 starting calibur QB's is a great luxury to have.

Mike will have an open competition in camp.

Dak is terrible in Practice.

Dalton will corral the starting job.

Then you will realize that this team is built with the Cowboys best interest at heart . . Not Dak"s
Uhhhh..

You just need to clean those glasses.

Looking blurry, huh?

Not sure what strikes you as being delusional.

We are really saying the same points just different viewpoints.

But I know being right means more to you for your totem pole next to your teepee to display another virtual scalp.

Be my guest. Still ain't real.

:muttley: