Stephen Jones podcast with Ed Werder, doesn't seem happy with JG

Kaiser

Reaction score
So instead of Stephen saying no excuses you rather him try and make a ton of excuses? I mean sometimes you folks complain that they make excuses, then when they say no excuses some folks complain about that. So in other words this team from front office, owner, players and coaches can never do anything right or say anything right.........

No, I'd rather you read my post and see what I actually said.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I was listening to the Domsday Podcast with Matt Mosley and Ed Werder last night. Werder did a one on one interview with Stephen which lasted a solid 20 minutes. I found some of what he said pretty interesting especially in regards to the JG:

Team has underperformed given the talent level and should be perennial playoff contenders and competing for championships.

Team has not handled adversity well and zero excuses for injuries/no Zeke. He said injuries are a part of every NFL teams season and you have to adapt on the fly, mentioned the way the Eagles responded and not just at QB.

No position is off limits in the first round except for probably QB/RB and will take BPA/highest player ranked on their board if it's close. He said teams get in trouble when they reach due to need.

Has huge confidence in Dak and thinks he is a franchise QB. He said his style of play compares more closely to Troy Aikman rather than Tony Romo. Dak is better running a system than improvising on the fly. He anticipates Daks next contract to resemble franchise QB money.

He is pleased with the FA moves done so far. He still believes 100% in the philosophy of building through the draft and that most free agents are vastly overpaid. He did admit that last year they did a poor job in FA.

No word on Z. Martins contract. Had very little to say about Dez, only that he thinks very highly of him as a player and a person and they will be getting together soon to talk.

Maybe because it was a one on one podcast with Werder, Stephen sounded more relaxed and less defensive with the Q&A. What really jumped out at me was his indirect shot at JG. When you talk about a team underperforming and not handling adversity well that speaks directly to the HC. This is a far cry from the lollipops and rainbows talk his father usually uses in regards to JG. If this has already been posted I missed it and sorry for rehashed info. Oh and don't shoot the messenger.:)
I was listening to the Domsday Podcast with Matt Mosley and Ed Werder last night. Werder did a one on one interview with Stephen which lasted a solid 20 minutes. I found some of what he said pretty interesting especially in regards to the JG:

Team has underperformed given the talent level and should be perennial playoff contenders and competing for championships.

Team has not handled adversity well and zero excuses for injuries/no Zeke. He said injuries are a part of every NFL teams season and you have to adapt on the fly, mentioned the way the Eagles responded and not just at QB.

No position is off limits in the first round except for probably QB/RB and will take BPA/highest player ranked on their board if it's close. He said teams get in trouble when they reach due to need.

Has huge confidence in Dak and thinks he is a franchise QB. He said his style of play compares more closely to Troy Aikman rather than Tony Romo. Dak is better running a system than improvising on the fly. He anticipates Daks next contract to resemble franchise QB money.

He is pleased with the FA moves done so far. He still believes 100% in the philosophy of building through the draft and that most free agents are vastly overpaid. He did admit that last year they did a poor job in FA.

No word on Z. Martins contract. Had very little to say about Dez, only that he thinks very highly of him as a player and a person and they will be getting together soon to talk.

Maybe because it was a one on one podcast with Werder, Stephen sounded more relaxed and less defensive with the Q&A. What really jumped out at me was his indirect shot at JG. When you talk about a team underperforming and not handling adversity well that speaks directly to the HC. This is a far cry from the lollipops and rainbows talk his father usually uses in regards to JG. If this has already been posted I missed it and sorry for rehashed info. Oh and don't shoot the messenger.:)
So who do I shoot? Stephen never criticized JG by name, that was your own spin on what was said but you don't want to be held accountable for saying it.

BHendri5

Reaction score
where did you get out of that that he is not happy with Garrett?

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
So who do I shoot? Stephen never criticized JG by name, that was your own spin on what was said but you don't want to be held accountable for saying it.

Well as long as your a bad shot and at least 2000 feet away fire away! BTW if you bothered to ready any thing else I wrote after my OP you would see that I admitted that I could be totally wrong and could of been reading into it. Pay Attention.

lukin2006

Reaction score
How can you even compare a hall of hame QB who was extremely accurate who won 3 SB’s to Dak...that’s where the Jones boys lose credibility to me...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well as long as your a bad shot and at least 2000 feet away fire away! BTW if you bothered to ready any thing else I wrote after my OP you would see that I admitted that I could be totally wrong and could of been reading into it. Pay Attention.
I'm glad you admitted that you could be totally wrong and reading into it. How can I pay attention to things I don't even read? After your OP and my reply, I was done with the thread until you possibly replied to my post. I don't care what the other posters have to say.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
#almostover

My comments stand. 2 playoff wins or he’s fired. Period. One playoff win if we get a bye.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The Eagles just won a SB with a backup. Need to stop the excuse train. That was a really bad 4-12.

Injuries wouldn't be a bad excuse but for the fact that with JG it's just another excuse in a long line of excuses.
The only excuse he hasn't used has to do with his own shortcomings.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If Dak doesn’t improve this year then I see Dallas taking a step with bringing someone else in next years draft and giving Cooper Rush a chance
Cooper Rush,, I must admit with all the other distractions, I some how forgot who was backing up Dak...
Cooper Rush..
Please stay healthy Dak.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It’s certainly put up or shut up for Garrett this year.

Well one would certainly think so, but I think it will take something along the lines of an earthquake to shake Jerry's ties to JG.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Get with the flow, it as in reference to another post. Rather we keep him or not, what makes you think anything’s going to be different if you don’t keep him? How do you know it won’t be worse?
So all the whining and clamoring for someone else doesn’t mean better

If the Eagles had taken your advice, they wouldn't have made it to the SB last year. Instead, they'd have still been back here slugging it out with the Cowboys for a birth in the Mediocrity Bowl.
Ever hear the old saying "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"?
You'll never get there if you're afraid to take the 1st step.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
So instead of Stephen saying no excuses you rather him try and make a ton of excuses? I mean sometimes you folks complain that they make excuses, then when they say no excuses some folks complain about that. So in other words this team from front office, owner, players and coaches can never do anything right or say anything right.........

Build a championship team and they won't be able to do or say anything wrong! ;)

Hadenough

Reaction score
WOW! Its about time someone within this organization sees the truth! Jason has under performed and this is a business, he should be evaluated after this season!

Hadenough

Reaction score
Eagles also hada defense. 201 the defense was shell of is "horrible" self from 2014. Great the Eagles won a super bowl with a back up QB how often does that happen. So you are saying Weeden, Cassell, and Moore were at least on Par with Foles... Not all back up QBs are the same. 2015 had teams had a lot of issues, too many to overcome to be successful.
What makes the Eagles win so amazing with the backup QB is the coaches made adjustments to help Foles get comfortable and he took them right thru the playoffs. Garrett couldnt even get a single win from his backups when Romo went down. The offense went straight into the toilet!

Dre11

Reaction score
If the Eagles had taken your advice, they wouldn't have made it to the SB last year. Instead, they'd have still been back here slugging it out with the Cowboys for a birth in the Mediocrity Bowl.
Ever hear the old saying "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"?
You'll never get there if you're afraid to take the 1st step.

And if they took the advice of all the crying and whining fans the year before about Pederson being the worse hire of the year and wanted him out, they may not have made it either.
They won because the had money, talent , and great depth behind talent. They also weren’t afraid to make moves in season to bring talent in, which most of that lies at the feet of the front office. So again firing a coach doesn’t mean success, just think had Cleveland held on to Belicheck they may have won a Super Bowl by now.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
And if they took the advice of all the crying and whining fans the year before about Pederson being the worse hire of the year and wanted him out, they may not have made it either.
They won because the had money, talent , and great depth behind talent. They also weren’t afraid to make moves in season to bring talent in, which most of that lies at the feet of the front office. So again firing a coach doesn’t mean success, just think had Cleveland held on to Belicheck they may have won a Super Bowl by now.

You conveniently forgot something :rolleyes:.......
They dumped Cow Chip Kelly for a HC who could handle the job....Doug Pederson.
And how long did it take Pederson to win a Super Bowl? Two years! Not 8 years and still counting, just 2 years!

"So again firing a coach doesn’t mean success"
Well you're right about one thing, firing Garrett would not totally guarantee success, but at least it would open the door!

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
You conveniently forgot something :rolleyes:.......
They dumped Cow Chip Kelly for a HC who could handle the job....Doug Pederson.
And how long did it take Pederson to win a Super Bowl? Two years! Not 8 years and still counting, just 2 years!

"So again firing a coach doesn’t mean success"
Well you're right about one thing, firing Garrett would not totally guarantee success, but at least it would open the door!

I didn’t forget they fired Kelly, firing Kelly was more about the personnel problem and struggle with the front office . There’s no better example of that then the Roseman taking over after Kelly had full control of personnel., which was 10x bigger than coaching, but as I said the fans wanted to fire Pederson after 1 year. The key to their success was talent and depth acquired by Roseman,which they have far more than us. Opening the door don’t let quame to success either, it could also be the abyss, ask Cleveland they continually open the door.

Last edited: