Stephen Jones podcast with Ed Werder, doesn't seem happy with JG

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Thanks for the recap Motown12.

I don't see anything wrong with what Stephen said nor is it a shot at Garrett. It is a fair statement and is holding him accountable, as he should.
I don't see the shot at JG. He's the perfect HC for this team. The HC of the bous wil never have the control that he needs to put a ten together nor call the shots.
You notice Mr Jones believes 100% in the draft, that tells you that no coach will have any other options.
And this is why JG is the perfect HC for them, he's there for moral, pretty much what he was on the team for as a backup

jrumann59

Reaction score
He didn’t compare their accuracy though. He just compared that they are both guys who like to be in timing based systems I believe.
I do not believe that is the case. Last year when Dak did complete passes either his receivers were lunging or stopping to catch the ball. Timing based means the ball gets there when the receiver does and the receiver is there in stride and has an opportunity for YAC. Last year too man passes were off target enough to prevent YAC.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I don't see the shot at JG. He's the perfect HC for this team. The HC of the bous wil never have the control that he needs to put a ten together nor call the shots.
You notice Mr Jones believes 100% in the draft, that tells you that no coach will have any other options.
And this is why JG is the perfect HC for them, he's there for moral, pretty much what he was on the team for as a backup

I thought it was 100% obvious that injuries are not an excuse to lose any longer. Yes JG is convenient for the Jones boys in that he allows Jerry to treat the team like his scale train hobby. But they are clearly growing weary of a guy who gets beat by the opposing coaches each and every week.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
"Injuries are no excuse"

- Direct quote of the guy responsible for adding quality depth to the roster for when players go down with injury, March 29, 2018
Not to take up for Stephen but they have drafted and brought in some guys. It's up to the coach to put these players in positions to succeed. Morris and Smith was there when Zeke was suspended, instead of running..... Morris with 5 yards a carry..... They went into pass mode.

Green and Bell at tackle when Tyron went out but the coaches tried experimenting with Green and Cooper rotating at LG. Not only that when Green was struggling against Atlanta they didn't do anything to help him.

Gregory and Irving suspended they had Collins and drafted Taco. Brought in Paea who played well but retired.

I don't disagree we need more depth but come on Garrett has to be held accountable when his team is underperforming. Stephen isn't a coach neither is Jerry.

The team this past season has the talent to make the playoffs but didn't because of coaching. Plain and simple

erod

Reaction score
It's too bad for you they're going to sign him to a record deal. Sit back and enjoy yourself. The show has just begun.
That's the hope. We'll know in 6 months.

My gut says he won't be here in two years.

JustChip

Reaction score
More fuel to the Stephen/Garrett issue. Notice Stephen praises Dak and Garrett criticizes Dak. Garrett wants to deflect blame from himself.

The real son always wins over the red-headed stepson in the end.

I agree that if you said which style between Aikman and Romo is the best for Dak to emulate, it's definitely Aikman.

Aikman
WRs run exact routes and get open by the QB and receivers being in sync.

Romo
Adlib until somebody gets open. Draw up plays in the dirt.

Aikman would not have tolerated WRs being clueless.

Good assessment. However, I wouldn’t categorize Garrett as criticizing Dak. He simply said he needs to improve and Dak knows it. More a critique than criticism.

JustChip

Reaction score
There's a reason Aikman was taken with the first pick in the draft. They were just awful.

Yep. Think about all the bemoaning beating Philly in week 17, that only made a difference between picking 16 vs. 19 (which IMO is not a material difference - think about the Packers beating Detroit in the last game of 1988 which dropped them to 2nd behind the Cowboys in the ‘89 draft. THAT was a material difference.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good assessment. However, I wouldn’t categorize Garrett as criticizing Dak. He simply said he needs to improve and Dak knows it. More a critique than criticism.
He has said it at least twice this offseason.

It's rare for Garrett to generically criticize a player.

JustChip

Reaction score
He has said it at least twice this offseason.

It's rare for Garrett to generically criticize a player.

I don’t know about the first one, but I didn’t see anything critical in Todd Archer’s piece from Wednesday. Just a fair assessment of Dak, what he does well and what he needs to approve on. Maybe it’s semantics, but “critical” connotes negativity to me and I didn’t see anything negative - just reality. No where did I see JG say he’s a franchise QB, not did he say he wasn’t.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t know about the first one, but I didn’t see anything critical in Todd Archer’s piece from Wednesday. Just a fair assessment of Dak, what he does well and what he needs to approve on. Maybe it’s semantics, but “critical” connotes negativity to me and I didn’t see anything negative - just reality. No where did I see JG say he’s a franchise QB, not did he say he wasn’t.

It's just not standard Garrett protocol to say anything specific about a player in the offseason. The media repeatedly pestered him at this time last year just to get him to say that La'el would play RT.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Not to take up for Stephen but they have drafted and brought in some guys. It's up to the coach to put these players in positions to succeed. Morris and Smith was there when Zeke was suspended, instead of running..... Morris with 5 yards a carry..... They went into pass mode.

Green and Bell at tackle when Tyron went out but the coaches tried experimenting with Green and Cooper rotating at LG. Not only that when Green was struggling against Atlanta they didn't do anything to help him.

Gregory and Irving suspended they had Collins and drafted Taco. Brought in Paea who played well but retired.

My point is that its both the FO and the Coaching. Stephen saying "no excuses" is the standard fare for these kind of interview answers but part of the problem is his moves. Paea didn't "play well", he had 3 tackles over 4 games and his knee problems were known to Stephen when they signed him.

Garrett does deserve blame but any team is going to have transition issues if you go from running the best RB in the NFL to a one dimensional guy like Morris. Morris doesn't create yards or catch the ball or block like Zeke, no amount of coaching is going to change that. Morris was a backup for a reason and may not be on an NFL roster next year.

I agree OL and WR were the biggest coaching failures last year (by a wide margin) but both of those position coaches were fired. That's Garrett's responsibliity at the end of the day but he wasn't the guy making individual moves with guys like Green and TWill.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Cowboys averaged 17.9 a game in 1996

Let’s be real: Troy Aikman is a top 5 most overrated human beings ever
he may be really overated but he took the cowboys to three superbowls in four years since then this bunch hasn't been able to figure out how to win a divisional playoff game and that's what the great qb's are judged on there playoff football

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
he may be really overated but he took the cowboys to three superbowls in four years since then this bunch hasn't been able to figure out how to win a divisional playoff game and that's what the great qb's are judged on there playoff football

Yep. I couldn't care less if he is overrated. Troy wasn't the best QB. Emmitt wasn't the best RB. Irvin wasn't the best receiver. But they combined to play on the best team. They went up against the stiffest competition on the biggest stages and won. We haven't had the players to do that again. Week 17 games are too big of a stage for our players now, let alone walking into the #1 seeds house in the NFC Championship game and knocking them out to earn a place in the SB.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
Stephen watched Philly happen without its starting QB, LT, MLB, RB, and CB.

The Dak stuff was based purely on hope. There is nothing about Dak so far that remotely resembles Troy Aikman. Troy had a powerful and accurate arm and he was most comfortable in the pocket. That is the polar opposite of Dak.
A. How did this turn into something about Dak
B. Aikman has more INTs than TDs

erod

Reaction score
A. How did this turn into something about Dak
B. Aikman has more INTs than TDs

That's not true, but his TD/Int ratio was so unfair to the guy. And I'm not as big of a Troy fan as others.

Cowboys receivers had this incredible ability to get tackled on the one-yard line. Emmitt just scooped up TDs by the bushels from one yard out.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
My point is that its both the FO and the Coaching. Stephen saying "no excuses" is the standard fare for these kind of interview answers but part of the problem is his moves. Paea didn't "play well", he had 3 tackles over 4 games and his knee problems were known to Stephen when they signed him.

Garrett does deserve blame but any team is going to have transition issues if you go from running the best RB in the NFL to a one dimensional guy like Morris. Morris doesn't create yards or catch the ball or block like Zeke, no amount of coaching is going to change that. Morris was a backup for a reason and may not be on an NFL roster next year.

I agree OL and WR were the biggest coaching failures last year (by a wide margin) but both of those position coaches were fired. That's Garrett's responsibliity at the end of the day but he wasn't the guy making individual moves with guys like Green and TWill.
So instead of Stephen saying no excuses you rather him try and make a ton of excuses? I mean sometimes you folks complain that they make excuses, then when they say no excuses some folks complain about that. So in other words this team from front office, owner, players and coaches can never do anything right or say anything right.........