News: Stephen Jones says Cowboys won't pass on franchise QB at No. 4

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
or people actually watch college football and the underwhelming way in which this current crop of QBs play.. that's just preposterous

yes, let's take a QB at #4 because we just absolutely have to and quickly turn into the Titans (Locker) or the Jags (Gabbert)

You conveniently left out Bortles

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
or people actually watch college football and the underwhelming way in which this current crop of QBs play.. that's just preposterous

yes, let's take a QB at #4 because we just absolutely have to and quickly turn into the Titans (Locker) or the Jags (Gabbert)

You sometimes have to fail before you win. The Titans tried and failed with Locker, but that didn't stop them from drafting Mariota (who has shown good promise). The Jags failed with Gabbert, but then drafted Bortles, who looked pretty darn good last year. Neither Locker nor Gabbert were high first rounders if I remember right, Mariota and Bortles were. We will be drafting high as well. Improves our odds.

Just because you might fail doesn't mean you should not try. That leaves you with the Weedens and Cassells or if you are extremely lucky, the Fitzgeralds of the NFL world as your starting QB.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
But would a team not try to get in front of us in that scenario and make a trade with a team before the Cowboys would be able to pick a QB with their pick ???

Not every time. Look at last year with Tennessee and Philly, Tennessee took Mariota because Philly didn't give up enough to get him.........Tennessee had a choice by saying they would take him, guys called in got offers. Didn't get the ransom they wanted so took the QB.

It's possible teams jump ahead dallas for a QB but the teams in front of them have to agree to trade first, so yes sometimes you can get teams to panic and give up a ton for a player.

Bills have up a first round pick to move a few spots and get Watkins when they could have stayed put and grabbed Beckham

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
You conveniently left out Bortles

why would I include Bortles? Bortles was a great college QB that played in a pro style system and excelled. The ones I listed (i accidentally left out Ponder lol ) and this crop of QBs are all average - below average, hence not worth 4th overall

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drafting a CB at 6 does not ensure he will be a shut down CB. We can do the same with every guy in this draft. Nothing is ensured. I think what some of us fear including myself is the Cowboys continue to put this off of addressing the QB spot and will see a repeat of Carter, Henson, Hutchinson and other dead beats. I think the top 3 QB in this draft can develop into quality NFL QB, maybe not day 1 but I think this is the time for the Cowboys to seriously address this position. at 36 and getting banged up as he has Romo is not going to be able to last much longer. If we can get 2 years out of him playing at a top level we will be fortunate

I don't disagree with that. The comment I was responding to was "We need a backup who can step up and play at a high level" and expecting that out of a rookie to be that guy is far from a given.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. The comment I was responding to was "We need a backup who can step up and play at a high level" and expecting that out of a rookie to be that guy is far from a given.

True but as we saw this past season with a vet that he was unable to step up and play at a high level. More times than not with backups you will get mixed results and up and down outings. It is their inconsistent play that has relegated them to the backup position. I would just as soon have a top prospect rookie getting the reps should Romo miss a game. Meantime the rookie would be getting the limited reps though out the week and in Dallas likely get all the reps on Wed practice should Romo continue to sit on the wed practice.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Preach... I have more trust in guys that actually get paid to evaluate and scout talent.. Than YouTube scouts. People going to complain no matter what happens. They need to do what's best for the franchise long term. Not the were just one player away from the SB mentality.

Don't know about preaching..but..

this is what I see.

And not much of a Youtube guy for football..

but I have attended probably over 200 games live dating back to '65.

Still..

when I look at the investment in the OL..

when I see we have invested multi-millions in an OL that really has no A-1 RB..

and a QB who while extremely gutsy just hasn't won and is now on the backside of his career..

it just makes sense to find a young QB to bring in and try to get him ready to match up with our young OL.

That's my point.

And not saying this guy or that is the next AIkman..

but we have to do something.

Doing nothing has resulted in losing.

Not making a backup a priority has cost us dearly.

If last year didn't prove that we are not ready for Romo to not be the featured guy because we have not gotten anybody ready..

4-12 seems clear to me.

Had we had any sort of realistic backup QB last year..we still might have won the division.