Stephen Jones: TE a priority in the draft

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I don't see TE in the second round at all unless there are some real studs in the 2019 class. We like our second rounders to start and contribute day 1 and our third rounders to start eventually. TE? Take at least a year to have an impact and we have 3 starters who came along all right in 2018. I would build on that but I'm not SJ. Oh, it's a smoke screen. Got it :flagwave::thumbup:

Big_D

Reaction score
What about letting young players develop? That's a big part of football. Can't have a steak on every plate. A TE who can catch 60 passes, block and just be productive. Jarwin and Schultz could at least be capable of this.

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
I don't see TE in the second round at all unless there are some real studs in the 2019 class. We like our second rounders to start and contribute day 1 and our third rounders to start eventually. TE? Take at least a year to have an impact and we have 3 starters who came along all right in 2018. I would build on that but I'm not SJ. Oh, it's a smoke screen. Got it :flagwave::thumbup:

Second rd will be DL or TE

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are some real studs

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah, no mention of Rico guys lol. Stephen gave Jarwin a pat on the back, and I kinda like Shultz but he wasn't mentioned much.

So looks like their drafting a TE1 with Jarwin as the TE2.

Sounds about right.

Still, keep Rico at the blocking. I think he has made progress at it this year.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Some more from Stephen...
https://1053thefan.radio.com/articles/news/cowboys-tight-end-will-be-priority-offseason

"I think we got some good young players. I think Blake Jarwin, in particular, probably has the most upside. Is he ready right this second ... probably not," Jones said on his weekly radio show with Ben and Skin on 105.3 The Fan. "I think tight end is very important. In terms of one of our top needs and what we'll be looking at in the draft and looking for ways to make that a stronger spot. It feels like we don't have that quote on quote Jason Witten, Jay Novachek, number one tight end."

Big_D

Reaction score
From week 14 on Jarwins numbers were solid. I certainly see a player on the upswing and capable of being very good, specially with Cooper and Gallup. and a top tier running game.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Then quit taking TEs who can’t both block and catch. That’s bullcrap bringing in 2 TEs last year,whom neither can do both for you. I like them,but they are role players,and not the all around #1 TE they need. Tired of wasting draft picks on this position,get it right and be done with it already.

Reactions: BAT

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
We already have young TEs, we need a proven vet that can lead the bunch.

Agree! Jarwin showed he can be used! Get a vet

This also goes to one of my issues with young skilled players...why don’t we try DEVELOPING someone. Otherwise we will use a pick on a guy for 3 yard TE screens!

RamziD

Reaction score
Yeah, I really doubt they’re playing 3-D chess and sending out smoke screens 4 months before the draft. I wouldn’t give them that much credit. It shouldn’t really surprise anyone that they would be looking to make TE a priority in this draft. Swaim is a FA and there’s a good chance he won’t be re-signed this offseason.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see the problem with calling out what you're looking at in the draft... It's not like other teams don't know what weaknesses the Cowboys have...

Come'on.

In addition it does not mean that TE would be the target at the end of round 2.

This team is go the BPA direction– Considering several different positions: TE, Safety, DL, OL.

Posters getting worked up over nothing yet again.