Stephen Jones: The Draft Aligns a Little Bit with Our Needs

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
I think I got about another season or two of this before I just kind of bow out. Kids getting older so more travel sports for all three of them. I can occupy my time better than watching the old man and his dimwitted, tight fisted son continue to just plod along.
Honestly I’m getting close as well and I’ve been a diehard fan for 45 years. I’m going to miss the 2nd day of the draft for the first time in about 15 years and I don’t even care. If the Cowboys tried different things and it just didn’t work, I could live with that. But it’s the same thing every year and it’s getting old.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
49ers were a better team:
  • #1 seed vs Cowboys #2
  • Won head-to-head (and it wasn't close)
  • Advanced to Super Bowl

..and they have added free agents
  • Leonard Floyd
  • Yetur Gross-Matos
  • Jordan Elliott
  • Earnest Brown
  • Raymond Johnson
  • De'Vondre Campbell
  • Brandon Parker
  • Chase Lucas
  • Isaan Yiadom
  • Ezekial Turner
..and made trades
  • Maliek Collins
vs the Cowboys lone addition
  • Eric Kendricks
and have more draft picks
  • 9 to Dallas' 7

How exactly does Jerry & Stephen expect to close the gap on their main NFC competition?

CowboyChris

Reaction score
  • #1 seed vs Cowboys #2
  • Advanced to Super Bowl

• Leonard Floyd
  • Yetur Gross-Matos
  • Jordan Elliott
  • Earnest Brown
  • Raymond Johnson
  • De'Vondre Campbell
  • Brandon Parker
  • Chase Lucas
  • Isaan Yiadom
  • Ezekial Turner
..and made trades
  • Maliek Collins
  • Eric Kendricks
  • 9 to Dallas' 7

How exactly does Jerry & Stephen expect to close the gap on their main NFC competition?
that’s easy…extending Dak

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Was Mazzie Smith best player available last year?
I don't know how the Cowboys had him ranked, but we clearly had identified him before the draft as a player we wanted to take with our first-round pick if he was there. I think as usual, our team thought it was outsmarting everyone. It had worked out pretty well with Tyler Smith the previous year, so we took a player we thought we could turn into more than possibly other teams saw in him. McCarthy had made it clear, though, that we needed some beef inside, so it was need pick. I think they just thought their value on him made him worthy of the pick. It's looking like they were wrong so far. We'll see.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Honestly I’m getting close as well and I’ve been a diehard fan for 45 years. I’m going to miss the 2nd day of the draft for the first time in about 15 years and I don’t even care. If the Cowboys tried different things and it just didn’t work, I could live with that. But it’s the same thing every year and it’s getting old.
I can live with poor results as long as I believe the franchise is always trying to get better and possibly win a SB once every 15 or 20 years.

I do not believe that the Cowboys as a franchise care about winning titles. The management proves it every year, and the players proved it this last playoff game. Branding, social media, and profit are all that matter.

Might as well cheer for Rolex, Apple, or some other soulless corporation as the Cowboys if winning Super Bowls isn't a priority.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
With a talented draft class at the top on the offensive line and other positions, Stephen Jones sees a big opportunity to improve in the draft next month.

Translate: 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks will be T, RB and C ( in no particular order ) IMO.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Did I hear Stephen Jones saying it was good to get Kendricks in there with LVE.... he just retired a couple days ago.... lol

plymkr

Reaction score
Just what I didn't want to hear going into the draft, selecting "Need" over best player available regardless of position is a recipe for disaster...

And I do expect Dallas to move back in this draft because of the dreaded "NEED", they need more players than picks they have now..
Yeah I wouldn’t mind a trade down for more picks. If we are going to stubbornly build through the draft then the more picks the better.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  • #1 seed vs Cowboys #2
  • Advanced to Super Bowl

• Leonard Floyd
  • Yetur Gross-Matos
  • Jordan Elliott
  • Earnest Brown
  • Raymond Johnson
  • De'Vondre Campbell
  • Brandon Parker
  • Chase Lucas
  • Isaan Yiadom
  • Ezekial Turner
..and made trades
  • Maliek Collins
  • Eric Kendricks
  • 9 to Dallas' 7

In the mind of the Jones family, Dallas has the same amount of talent. Which is glaringly a point of concern for the fanbase.

Beginning with Dak; management speaks of being on par with other top contenders. The next two generations of the Jones family will fix the team.

My great grandchildren, may see a NFC championship appearance. WooHoo!

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I don't know how the Cowboys had him ranked, but we clearly had identified him before the draft as a player we wanted to take with our first-round pick if he was there. I think as usual, our team thought it was outsmarting everyone. It had worked out pretty well with Tyler Smith the previous year, so we took a player we thought we could turn into more than possibly other teams saw in him. McCarthy had made it clear, though, that we needed some beef inside, so it was need pick. I think they just thought their value on him made him worthy of the pick. It's looking like they were wrong so far. We'll see.
If Will and his staff had Mazi ranked BPA at that point then I have to think we need a better scouting department. It was easy to see how slow off the ball he was and that there were questions about his motor.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
My guess is they will draft an offensive tackle with the first round pick with better players available to draft

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's always nice to hear when your VP of Player Personnel says a month before the draft that "from afar" it looks like arguably the top RB of the class will be ready to go for training camp.

I mean, don't quote on me that or anything. We're still 30 days away and I'm just the VP of Player Personnel. I'm sure we will have more intense draft meetings soon and someone will tell me.

Jipper

Reaction score
  • #1 seed vs Cowboys #2
  • Advanced to Super Bowl

• Leonard Floyd
  • Yetur Gross-Matos
  • Jordan Elliott
  • Earnest Brown
  • Raymond Johnson
  • De'Vondre Campbell
  • Brandon Parker
  • Chase Lucas
  • Isaan Yiadom
  • Ezekial Turner
..and made trades
  • Maliek Collins
  • Eric Kendricks
  • 9 to Dallas' 7

Hope is a strategy right