Stephen on 105 about TE

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Still think Mayer is the heavy favorite, unless a higher prospect falls in their laps.
You don’t think Mayer is going before 26? Whole lot of teams ahead of us need a tight end. That it is why I think the Cowboys might still draft one at 26 because the top 5 will probably be gone at 58.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He wouldn't have ran a 4.8 though. That's not how speed works. He may have run slower than a 4.7 (even though as I've pointed out a few times on multiple boards his 40 time actually got better after the combine when he added another 7 pounds from his combine), but it wouldn't have been close to a 4.8. 0.1 seconds is a ton of time in terms of a 40
Mayer didn’t run at his pro day.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
Yea…the fact he dropped weight to run faster and still tested as a below average athlete is even more concerning to me.

If Mayer came in at 6’6 / 260 with 34 inch arms and ran a 4.7 I’m probably cool with him…as he’d likely be like a 9 RAS athlete. 4.7 at 245ish is quite a bit different.
After his pro day Mayer's RAS score was updated to an 8.85/10 which is obviously well above "average". Not elite like Washington who was a 9.5+ (don't remember exact # off the top of my head), but this idea that Mayer is some terrible athlete really needs to die on here.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Mayer is the rare player that has been so overrated and over-scrutinized during the process that he’s now underrated.
I think it’s just one of those scenarios where a player is productive at a well known school for more then 1 year so they’re high on mock drafts without knowing what kind of athlete they are.

cnuball21

Reaction score
After his pro day Mayer's RAS score was updated to an 8.85/10 which is obviously well above "average". Not elite like Washington who was a 9.5+ (don't remember exact # off the top of my head), but this idea that Mayer is some terrible athlete really needs to die on here.
This is his RAS from 4/16 which was after his pro day.

Again he didn’t run the 40 at his pro day.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
He wouldn't have ran a 4.8 though. That's not how speed works. He may have run slower than a 4.7 (even though as I've pointed out a few times on multiple boards his 40 time actually got better after the combine when he added another 7 pounds from his combine), but it wouldn't have been close to a 4.8. 0.1 seconds is a ton of time in terms of a 40
I'm just speaking generally. My point is more than 4.7 and 4.8 are the same thing as far as game speed, and how it would translate to the NFL, so you're better off having the extra 15 lbs and being slower.

If you're going to be a 250 lb TE, you should be running a 4.5 to be worth a first-round pick.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
I think it’s just one of those scenarios where a player is productive at a well known school for more then 1 year so they’re high on mock drafts without knowing what kind of athlete they are.
Do you feel the same about Will Anderson or Jaxon Smith-Njigba? Neither graded out much better than Mayer relative to their position

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You don’t think Mayer is going before 26? Whole lot of teams ahead of us need a tight end. That it is why I think the Cowboys might still draft one at 26 because the top 5 will probably be gone at 58.
Think he has a fair chance to be there. Kincaid will be taken ahead of him.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
I'm just speaking generally. My point is more than 4.7 and 4.8 are the same thing as far as game speed, and how it would translate to the NFL, so you're better off having the extra 15 lbs and being slower.

If you're going to be a 250 lb TE, you should be running a 4.5 to be worth a first-round pick.
I just respectfully think you're way off on those #s. For example, many have Kinkaid as the best TE in this class. His listed weight was 240 and he's not sniffing a 4.5 40. In fact, only 9 TEs in combine history have ran a 4.5 or better.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Do you feel the same about Will Anderson or Jaxon Smith-Njigba? Neither graded out much better than Mayer relative to their position
Anderson doesn’t have a RAS score as he didn’t do enough to qualify but his size / length / athleticism compared to Kayvon from last year and he has 2 years of elite tape in the SEC.

JSNs RAS is 9.4. 40 and 10 split are slow but elite short area quickness. That being said he is not my WR1 and I think he’s overrated due to his lack of speed and burst.

These guys also play premium positions though. We’re talking about potentially taking a TE (low value position) in the 1st hoping he can defy the odds of his limited athleticism to be a stud.

cnuball21

Reaction score

It's a little silly to me how married some of y'all are to these RAS scores like they are the sole determiner of whether a guy will be good or not, but here ya go.

Yea, I’m not going to put much stock into pro day numbers…but if it makes you feel better.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Think he has a fair chance to be there. Kincaid will be taken ahead of him.
The ESPN Sports reporters mock had The Chargers taking Mayer at 21. The reporter didn’t even hesitate. The Green Bay reporter took Kincaid at 13. Reporters usually know something.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The ESPN Sports reporters mock had The Chargers taking Mayer at 21. The reporter didn’t even hesitate. The Green Bay reporter took Kincaid at 13. Reporters usually know something.
Kincaid and Mayer off the board before 26 would make me very happy.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I just respectfully think you're way off on those #s. For example, many have Kinkaid as the best TE in this class. His listed weight was 240 and he's not sniffing a 4.5 40. In fact, only 9 TEs in combine history have ran a 4.5 or better.
Kincaid also shouldn't be a first-round pick.

Basically none of them in the last decade should be lol

morasp

Reaction score
Kincaid scares me as a round 1 pick. I know he's been cleared medically but they said that bout LVE too.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
Anderson doesn’t have a RAS score as he didn’t do enough to qualify but his size / length / athleticism compared to Kayvon from last year and he has 2 years of elite tape in the SEC.

JSNs RAS is 9.4. 40 and 10 split are slow but elite short area quickness. That being said he is not my WR1 and I think he’s overrated due to his lack of speed and burst.

These guys also play premium positions though. We’re talking about potentially taking a TE (low value position) in the 1st hoping he can defy the odds of his limited athleticism to be a stud.
Wait so having multiple years of elite tape against P5 competition despite having a size score that graded out as "Poor" is okay for one guy but for the other guy whose size graded out as "Good" it's not? Obviously I'm not saying I would rather have Mayer than Anderson, just pointing out there are plenty of guys who don't check every athletic box that are still expected to be good-to-elite players. Look no further than the likely 1st overall pick in this draft who would be the smallest QB taken in the first round in NFL history.