Twitter: Stephen on Coop: "It sometimes not all on the receiver”

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry and Stephen know they got to play damage control after giving this QB coming off a broken leg, 42 million a year with a no trade clause. That’s why Jerry, the great OC, was defending his QB from criticism during the slump by saying things like:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-looked-off-were-bad-routes-by-our-receivers/

So is he going to give Moore another raise if he gets the Miami offer? Why not just become OC Jerry, since you learned so much on how to run an offense by keeping Garrett in charge of it for so many years?

Exactly. Jerry is defending Dak but he's really defending his decision to sign him to that ridiculous contract.

Jerry has always been the de-facto head coach. Jerry hired this staff and they report to him not MM. Its been this way for 26 years with the exception of the Parcels years where Bill actually did bring in his own guys.

Gaede

Reaction score
You were probably one of those same Dak-stans telling us how much better the offense was going to be with Dez gone and Cole Beasley as the number 1, because you know, in 2016, Coke Beasley was supposedly the best WR ever.. RG3 also was ‘amazing’ his rookie year, you know what also happened, 2017 happened and teams figured out you could just sit on Cole Beasley outside Routes and Dak was a walking disaster.

I remember Dak-stans telling us how amazing the offense was going to be and how Cole lining up wide was going to be great. Allen Hurns was a “big gain” type WR like Dez, without the label of a head case and so on..

And then the inevitable happened and they pretended like they knew it wasn’t going to work at all.

Now Amari is the excuse, because Dak, like he did with Cole Beasley, can no longer get him the ball just like he couldn’t with Dez..

Not at all. I knew from the get go that our receiver lineup was not good enough. But that's beside the point.

Point is, I understand you think Dak is the root of all evil, and you're wrong. Is he the best QB in the league? Not even close. Did he meet expectations this year? Again, not even close. But this constant twisting and spinning to convince everybody in the world that Dak is a total bum is just so dishonest and frankly, extremely annoying.

We have an above average QB who hasn't made the jump to the next level yet. It sucks. Especially in the Fandom culture of instant gratification. But if you were to step back and be objective for a few seconds, you might also see an extremely productive and hard working QB who still can.

Case in point. Stafford, who so many here are just gung ho about, just got his first playoff wins in his 12th year. He always had the talent. But for whatever reason, be it coaching, lack of talent, or just the fact that he likes to throw a lot of INTs at critical moments, had never reached that next level. Now he's playing in the Super Bowl on a stacked team.

Dak hasn't got us there yet, but like Stafford, there are a lot of reasons why. Some on him. Some on the coaches. Some on the org. I believe Dak still can because of the success we've seen so far, though I admit, I'm losing faith everytime we get bounced from the playoffs.

But there's a massive difference between 'Dak isn't the elite QB we expected' and 'Dak is the worst QB in the league'. And all we hear from you is the latter.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I would like to se us keep him. Now the question is. … Is Gallup better than Cooper. Cooper may disappear during games and get dinged up. Gallup was injured most of this year. But he goes up and gets the ball. Hmmm.

khiladi

Reaction score
Exactly. Jerry is defending Dak but he's really defending his decision to sign him to that ridiculous contract.

Jerry has always been the de-facto head coach. Jerry hired this staff and they report to him not MM. Its been this way for 26 years with the exception of the Parcels years where Bill actually did bring in his own guys.

it’s hilarious.. This man kept Garrett in charge of an offense for years, despite his inept he was. Now he’s telling us about WR route running, when they fired Dooley, who was a Garrett guy and then Sanjay Lal Where is Jerry learning about precise route running?

Now him and his son are telling us one of the best route runners in the game, Amari Cooper is more to blame than the QB… We supposed to believe that Amari runs routes worse than Dak throws passes? The guy that practically saved Dak’s career and yelled at him to start throwing him the ball bevayse CBs are sitting in routes and there is no safety help over top?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Maybe we can trade Dak for Hurts and just bear another year of watching errant passes, but at a much cheaper cost. But

it’s hilarious.. This man kept Garrett in charge of an offense for years, despite his inept he was. Now he’s telling us about WR routes, when they fired Dooley and then Sanjay Lal. Where is Jerry learning about precise route running?

Now him and his son are telling us one of the best route runners in the game, Amari Cooper is more to blame than the QB… We supposed to believe that Amari runs routes worse than Dak throws passes?
If Dak played for the Eagles, Giants, or Washington would you fear him?

I wouldn't at all.

khiladi

Reaction score
Not at all. I knew from the get go that our receiver lineup was not good enough. But that's beside the point.

Point is, I understand you think Dak is the root of all evil, and you're wrong. Is he the best QB in the league? Not even close. Did he meet expectations this year? Again, not even close. But this constant twisting and spinning to convince everybody in the world that Dak is a total bum is just so dishonest and frankly, extremely annoying.

We have an above average QB who hasn't made the jump to the next level yet. It sucks. Especially in the Fandom culture of instant gratification. But if you were to step back and be objective for a few seconds, you might also see an extremely productive and hard working QB who still can.

Case in point. Stafford, who so many here are just gung ho about, just got his first playoff wins in his 12th year. He always had the talent. But for whatever reason, be it coaching, lack of talent, or just the fact that he likes to throw a lot of INTs at critical moments, had never reached that next level. Now he's playing in the Super Bowl on a stacked team.

Dak hasn't got us there yet, but like Stafford, there are a lot of reasons why. Some on him. Some on the coaches. Some on the org. I believe Dak still can because of the success we've seen so far, though I admit, I'm losing faith everytime we get bounced from the playoffs.

But there's a massive difference between 'Dak isn't the elite QB we expected' and 'Dak is the worst QB in the league'. And all we hear from you is the latter.

Instant gratification? This is year 6, going into year 7 in an offense built exclusively to Dak’s skill-set and Jerry’s babysitting. They played him in multiple meaningless games to allow him to ‘get better”. They kept the offensive continuity by keeping Moore, who was Linehan’s disciple, unlike the constant flux in organizations like Detroit.

There is nothing about a ‘next step’ for Dak, because he’s peaked. He’s exceeded expectations because he sat behind the best OL and RG in football and got to see defensive looks any good QB would be licking their chops at.

Case in point is Stafford, is nothing like Dak. Case in point, he played in Detroit. Case in point, Stafford was not a 4th round draft pick. Case in point Stafford possessed all the tools to be elite, Dak never did. Case in point, Dak is not nor was anywhere near a prime Stafford, let alone the one that finally is out of Detroit. Case in point, put Stafford in Dallas we are much better even at this age, with his bad elbow and back issues which clearly limits his deep ball.

Case in point, analogies between Dak and a real QB are hilarious..

Last edited:

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Why? Why oh why??? Why do the Jones boys think they have to do everything out in the open? in the media? All GOOD managers of businesses know that the best way to operate is quietly behind closed doors. But Fat Stevie and Ole' Jer cannot resist dragging ever little thing through the media. A reporter ask one of those two a question and they spill their guys. And if there is a camera and a microphone present they bubble anything and everything up and out. Often their comments are cringe worthy. SMH and wishing it would change but I know it will not.

morasp

Reaction score
Cooper will be a $22 million cap hit in 2022

The Top five free agents and estimated contracts are:

1. DAVANTE ADAMS
Projected contract: 4 yrs — $23.25m avg/yr
2. CHRIS GODWIN
Projected contract: 4 yrs — $17.5m avg/yr
3. MIKE WILLIAMS
Projected contract: 4 yrs — $17m avg/yr
4. ALLEN ROBINSON II
Projected contract: 3 yrs — $16m avg/yr
5. MICHAEL GALLUP
Projected contract: 4 yrs — $13.75m avg/yr

fivetwos

Reaction score
Toward the end of the season, the OL didn't allow enough time for Cooper to get as wide open as he needs to be for Dak to be comfortable throwing it.

That's why he is so much better on the run.

He has no confidence whatsoever as far as threading a needle with a throw.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Coop has #1WR skills, but not a #1WR psyche. Dak or no Dak.

Gruden’s name may be mud now, but he knows who has the killer instinct and who doesn’t.

Enjoy that first year we got after he had something to prove.
He did that with the Raiders. Great first year and downhill from there.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Toward the end of the season, the OL didn't allow enough time for Cooper to get as wide open as he needs to be for Dak to be comfortable throwing it.

That's why he is so much better on the run.

He has no confidence whatsoever as far as threading a needle with a throw.
Well said

Gaede

Reaction score
Instant gratification? This is year 6, going into year 7 in an offense built exclusively to Dak’s skill-set and Jerry’s babysitting. They played him in multiple meaningless games to allow him to ‘get better”. They kept the offensive continuity by keeping Moore, who was Linehan’s disciple, unlike the constant flux in organizations like Detroit.

There is nothing about a ‘next step’ for Dak, because he’s peaked. He’s exceeded expectations because he sat behind the best OL and RG in football and got to see defensive looks any good QB would be licking their chops at.

Case in point is Stafford, is nothing like Dak. Case in point, he played in Detroit. Case in point, Stafford was not a 4th round draft pick. Case in point Stafford possessed all the tools to be elite, Dak never did. Case in point, Dak is not nor was anywhere near a prime Stafford, let alone the one that finally is out of Detroit. Case in point, put Stafford in Dallas we are much better even at this age, with his bad elbow and back issues which clearly limits his deep ball.

Case in point, analogies between Dak and a real QB are hilarious..

A real QB that had a HOF WR and couldn't win a single playoff game till his 12th year?

You'd sit around and wait 12 years for your 'white'..or wait, I mean 'real' QB for 12 years? Daks had more success than Stafford in half as much time, as a 4th rd pick, with the likes of Linehan, Garrett, and 1st time playcaller Kelln Moore.

I find it hilarious that only 'certain' QBs have potential to win it all, and others are just a lost cause, despite the mounds of evidence proving otherwise

khiladi

Reaction score
He did that with the Raiders. Great first year and downhill from there.

Actually, his second season was as good as his first. And the Raiders actually had no OL and were in complete disarray with fluctuating coaching, unlike our team.

khiladi

Reaction score
A real QB that had a HOF WR and couldn't win a single playoff game till his 12th year?

You'd sit around and wait 12 years for your 'white'..or wait, I mean 'real' QB for 12 years? Daks had more success than Stafford in half as much time, as a 4th rd pick, with the likes of Linehan, Garrett, and 1st time playcaller Kelln Moore.

He had a GARBAGE OL and a non-existent RG.

That WR still produced HOF numbers, meaning it wasn’t the QB having trouble getting him the ball, unlike Dak who can’t find his skilled WRs unless they are in single coverage and man.

Dak hasn’t had anywhere near the individual success as Stafford. Stafford notched 41 TDs and over 5000 yards in a LINEHAN offense in his third year after his second year was cut short with an injiry.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score

Would love to see what Dak would have done w/ those Stafford Detroit teams.It would have been ugly!