Stephen on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season)

Chasing6

Reaction score
Or they were on the same page and just wrong or several other possibilities that you have not considered. you need ot work on your deduction.
Pretty sure the Jones' confirmed they are too f to use him differently this year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Or they were on the same page and just wrong or several other possibilities that you have not considered. you need ot work on your deduction.
DQ was the deduction. He is gone and now they are going to use him the way the were supposed to use him to begin with.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
If Stephen Jones told me the sky was blue I would still check while simultaneously ensuring my wallet was still in my pocket.
laughing-baby-laugh.gif

Chasing6

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season). I think it was a learning process with him, learning what Dan (Quinn) wanted out of the defensive linemen. We knew when we drafted him out of Michigan that he was asked to play the one-technique a little different than Dan likes to see it played. I think the way (Mike Zimmer) is going to ask these guys to play is probably a little more in line with what he did at Michigan. But we feel really good about Mazi."

#Cowboys allowed 129.3 Rush YPG (22nd) and 2.7 yards before contact per rush (21st). Dallas defensive tackles ranked 28th in interior Run Stop Win Rate last year (28.5%).

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season). I think it was a learning process with him, learning what Dan (Quinn) wanted out of the defensive linemen. We knew when we drafted him out of Michigan that he was asked to play the one-technique a little different than Dan likes to see it played. I think the way (Mike Zimmer) is going to ask these guys to play is probably a little more in line with what he did at Michigan. But we feel really good about Mazi."

"But we feel really good about Mazi."

Is it me, or is the expression, "... feel good about.. " way past its shelf life. I hear JJ, SJ or McCarthy use those words and I tend to switch off

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Shut up Stephen! Who cares what you say...

DuncanIso

Reaction score
DQ was the deduction. He is gone and now they are going to use him the way the were supposed to use him to begin with.
Zimmer runs AA gap scheme.

DT1 isnt even in the A gap.

Not sure he even fits that scheme.

Both DTs line up on the outside shoulder of the G.

Cmac

Reaction score
If Stephen Jones told me the sky was blue I would still check while simultaneously ensuring my wallet was still in my pocket.
Couldn't have said it better. Like viewing a donkey and being told that's the next Triple Crown Winner.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
For all those who believe the Cowboys will be better managed once Stephen Jones takes over from Jerry:

:lmao:
I don't know if it will be better or worse. It will be different.

Also your post here does not exactly foster conversation so you can learn more about your favorite team.

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't know if it will be better or worse. It will be different.

Also your post here does not exactly foster conversation so you can learn more about your favorite team.
Apparently, it inspired you to respond.

Will it be different?

There was a story I once read about Stephen entering the lockerroom at half time during the time that Bill Parcells was HC. He had very strict rules about who could be there, he didn't want any distractions, he wanted the team focused.

Bill Parcells wanted him to leave but Stephen stated that he could go anywhere he wanted. He refused to leave in front of the players.

Some might agree with Stephen. However, his refusal undermined, or revealed the lack of, Parcell's authority as HC. Besides, what could Stephen Jones possibly contribute to second half adjustments?

Do you think Stephen Jones earned his position? Did he rise up through the ranks from junior scout to regional scout to assistant director, earning each promotion through the performance of his duties? Do you think any of the 31 other teams would hire him at his present position or any other?

He could do one thing only for me to be convinced that things were going to be different if he were the owner and that would be if he immediately hired a qualified GM and kept his nose out of football operations. Do you think that is going to happen?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Apparently, it inspired you to respond.

Will it be different?

There was a story I once read about Stephen entering the lockerroom at half time during the time that Bill Parcells was HC. He had very strict rules about who could be there, he didn't want any distractions, he wanted the team focused.

Bill Parcells wanted him to leave but Stephen stated that he could go anywhere he wanted. He refused to leave in front of the players.

Some might agree with Stephen. However, his refusal undermined, or revealed the lack of, Parcell's authority as HC. Besides, what could Stephen Jones possibly contribute to second half adjustments?

Do you think Stephen Jones earned his position? Did he rise up through the ranks from junior scout to regional scout to assistant director, earning each promotion through the performance of his duties? Do you think any of the 31 other teams would hire him at his present position or any other?

He could do one thing only for me to be convinced that things were going to be different if he were the owner and that would be if he immediately hired a qualified GM and kept his nose out of football operations. Do you think that is going to happen?
It inspired me to point out it was not inspiring.

Different starting conditions result in different outcomes. Do you disagree?

I don't think I am in a position to determine who deserves what and as a rule do not whinge about things that cannot be changed.

And great you have reason to think that we are destined for failure. It is a fool's errand to argue your despair. Just stop pretending that you inspire new knowledge with said despair.

plasticman

Reaction score
It inspired me to point out it was not inspiring.

Different starting conditions result in different outcomes. Do you disagree?

I don't think I am in a position to determine who deserves what and as a rule do not whinge about things that cannot be changed.

And great you have reason to think that we are destined for failure. It is a fool's errand to argue your despair. Just stop pretending that you inspire new knowledge with said despair.
You and I are in a position to determine who gets what. From a business perspective, we are the customers.

We decide to purchase tickets and merchandise. We decide to patronize companies that sponsor the team and stadium. In larger numbers we have the ability to exert pressure on the team's management and some of their practices. The GM issue is a difficult one to influence but we have already succeeded to a degree.

It was through the pressure of fan dissatisfaction that Jerry was forced to allow others to make certain decisions. You can say that, if it were not for the fans, Jerry would have overruled everyone else and drafted Manziel instead of Martin.

I have not suggested that the Cowboys are destined for failure because they are being managed by the Joneses. I am saying that this is a detriment that the team must work harder to overcome. It's not impossible but it is a challenge that is entirely unnecessary.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You and I are in a position to determine who gets what. From a business perspective, we are the customers.

We decide to purchase tickets and merchandise. We decide to patronize companies that sponsor the team and stadium. In larger numbers we have the ability to exert pressure on the team's management and some of their practices. The GM issue is a difficult one to influence but we have already succeeded to a degree.

It was through the pressure of fan dissatisfaction that Jerry was forced to allow others to make certain decisions. You can say that, if it were not for the fans, Jerry would have overruled everyone else and drafted Manziel instead of Martin.

I have not suggested that the Cowboys are destined for failure because they are being managed by the Joneses. I am saying that this is a detriment that the team must work harder to overcome. It's not impossible but it is a challenge that is entirely unnecessary.
Speak for yourself. There is no we there is only you.

And at this point I do not find you credible. You take pretty much every subject and turn it into how Jerry is going to lead to it failing. It is what it is.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It seems Quinn wanted Mazi to be something he wasn't, while the staff wanted him to be what he was. It simply didn't work. :angry:

Now that Mazi has gained back the 30 lbs. or so that he had formerly, perhaps there's a workable chance that things may change.

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So much for putting the players in the best situations to perform at their best.

How screwing around with their first round pick sounded like a great idea is beyond me.
Exactly.................and people keep wondering why this organization does not win playoff games.