Twitter: Stephen on Garrett: I don't necessarily think the answer is always change

Sydla

Reaction score
The moment he uttered that changing coaches might mean changing the roster, you know they have zero intention of firing Garrett.

Because getting rid of him means all their “fine” roster building goes out the window.

We are beyond screwed as a fan base.

Sydla

Reaction score
The echo chamber in here sure does swarm when the real world provides some proof the team views it’s problems a lot differently than consensus wants them to.

People know the team views it’s problems differently. It’s why the continue to employee a mediocre coach despite the fact the evidence keeps mounting that the franchise is going nowhere with Garrett.

Doesn’t mean we can’t criticize their ignorance.

wileedog

Reaction score
Like no one in our division has ever snuck into the playoffs and won a Superbowl.
It should be noted this is *literally* Jerry Jones personal philosophy as GM. He has stated many times all you need to do is 'squeak into the playoffs and hope you get hot at the right time."

That's his bleepin Master Plan. Pretty sure no one in New England has uttered this phrase.

Screw that. I would rather go 4-12 at this point and have Jerry be as miserable as I am about this team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most feel a decade is long enough for a head coach...……….and if the team sees the problems differently, why haven't they fixed it yet?

Saying to the fans, "yeah, our head coach has never won jack but we don't see him as the problem" begs the question of why they haven't fixed what they perceive as the real problem yet.

Or is the team immune from criticism of never fixing any problems? They can just keep going 8-8 every year and never expect to be questioned?

Question it all you want. It’s just clear the team thinks the issues aren’t necessarily with the coaching staff even though nobody wants to believe it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People know the team views it’s problems differently. It’s why the continue to employee a mediocre coach despite the fact the evidence keeps mounting that the franchise is going nowhere with Garrett.

Doesn’t mean we can’t criticize their ignorance.

Swarm away.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I'm not buying the positive talk by the Joneses until the offseason and if they don't make changes then.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
That’s true about new coaches and player personnel. But I don’t see a team where it would kill their already non existent championship chances. I don’t think a new staff would just dump every good player they do have either. All I see is a few key pieces with a bunch of avg guys. Like what’s Stephens plan here? Just hang around going nowhere they haven’t been already? Oh wait....it was the FO who wanted to go with a bunch of #2’s on offense,soooo...

Sydla

Reaction score
Question it all you want. It’s just clear the team thinks the issues aren’t necessarily with the coaching staff even though nobody wants to believe it.

We believe it.

We think the Jones boys are fools for continually thinking that the career trajectory of Garrett is suddenly going to change after just short of decade of proof.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
But not the owner when talking about the coach.

It was a bad response. The talk you have privately with staff and players is different than what you give to your customers. This is a business and dealing with the public, you shouldn't come across tone deaf and clueless. The response in public should acknowledge there are issues and the coaches, players and staff are working to improve and leave it at that. His response makes it sound like they don't or aren't willing to admit this team is underachieving. A canned, vanilla speech is much better than coming across like everything is working just fine. Consumer confidence is low and statements like that make it worse.

Plankton

Reaction score

I actually agree with this statement. The true issues aren't necessarily with the coaching staff.

The issues are with the Jones' stewardship of the football operation. As it has been for the present generation. Until they get out of football operations, the franchise will remain in a food coma.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they end up <6 wins, isn't change all there is to consider?

This is just a long line of excuses for keeping Garrett and you will hear more from here on out, regardless of the record or how the team looks.

The real crime of this is I have little doubt a coaching change, from top to bottom, wouldn't really help this team. Every member of that team needs to feel that they are at least on the same level with the opposing coaching staff and I very much doubt any of the players feel that way on offense.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I know, a new coach might come in and be like, hey, we don't have any safeties. And then they'll expect the Front Office to go out and get a couple.

Who wants to deal with that?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It was a bad response. The talk you have privately with staff and players is different than what you give to your customers. This is a business and dealing with the public, you shouldn't come across tone deaf and clueless. The response in public should acknowledge there are issues and the coaches, players and staff are working to improve and leave it at that. His response makes it sound like they don't or aren't willing to admit this team is underachieving. A canned, vanilla speech is much better than coming across like everything is working just fine. Consumer confidence is low and statements like that make it worse.
:facepalm:You just don’t get it.

Sydla

Reaction score
I actually agree with this statement. The true issues aren't necessarily with the coaching staff.

The issues are with the Jones' stewardship of the football operation. As it has been for the present generation. Until they get out of football operations, the franchise will remain in a food coma.

Of course the issue starts with the Jones’.

But that shouldn’t be an excuse for Garrett. Garrett is a product of their flaws.