Stephen speaks on Henry and cap situation

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The bottom line is they have a pre-determined % of the cap they want to spend on the RB position...and Henry did fit into that amount. They have Zekes cap hit that was pre-existing....they have what he is currently signed for, they have Vaughn, Dowdle and Cooks. They felt it was a better "deal" to get all of these guys instead of adding Henry

The irony is....to open the game up for CeeDee....which makes Daks job easier....you NEED A RUNNING GAME. I don't care what you paid Dak and CeeDee....they cannot reach their full potential without a running game.

I still for the life of me cannot understand why Trey Lance and his cap hit is on this team. The percentage of the cap being spent on the QB room right now is outrageous. Cooper Rush is a more than capable backup. Is Trey Lance the highest paid 3rd string QB in the NFL?

Chasing6

Reaction score
The bottom line is they have a pre-determined % of the cap they want to spend on the RB position...and Henry did fit into that amount. They have Zekes cap hit that was pre-existing....they have what he is currently signed for, they have Vaughn, Dowdle and Cooks. They felt it was a better "deal" to get all of these guys instead of adding Henry

The irony is....to open the game up for CeeDee....which makes Daks job easier....you NEED A RUNNING GAME. I don't care what you paid Dak and CeeDee....they cannot reach their full potential without a running game.

I still for the life of me cannot understand why Trey Lance and his cap hit is on this team. The percentage of the cap being spent on the QB room right now is outrageous. Cooper Rush is a more than capable backup. Is Trey Lance the highest paid 3rd string QB in the NFL?
I guess Trance some how fit into the % we wanted to spend on the QB position. We had a need for the highest paid emergency QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
LOL. Team has 23 mil in cap space next year, including Dak's 89mil cap hit.
It's going to be restructured, aka "pushed forward", and probably down to 53.09 mil, freeing up 36mil in cap space.

CDL has a 26mil base, that can be restructured to save 20mil in cap space.

Derrick Henry could of been cut in 2025 and count as a 3 mil dead cap hit.

He's full of ****, and hope he chokes on a hotdog.
He is full of it. The money line was, "We believe in our process".

I don't think they are going to restructure Dak. I think it's that high next season to move out a lot of Dak cap while they can. Why else put the 90M hit next year? They could have just switched it out with 2027 cap hit, instant 28M without any restructures. But who knows, maybe they've got something else in mind.

Chasing6

Reaction score

I don't think they are going to restructure Dak. I think it's that high next season to move out a lot of Dak cap while they can. Why else put the 90M hit next year? They could have just switched it out with 2027 cap hit, instant 28M without any restructures. But who knows, maybe they've got something else in mind.
Maybe we can trade for another emergency QB since Trance's contract is coming to an end.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Cowboys don't try to sign free agents because Stephen is routinely whooped in negotiations. Agents don't like even dealing with him because he's so far from reality that it's a waste of the agent and their client's time.

They create a scenario where they don't resign their big players, which creates cap room, until the last possible minute. This allows them to keep up this lie that they don't have cap room during the free agency period.

Jerry's an egomaniac and his stubborn, half-behind approach to playing GM is the biggest problem.

However, Stephen's constant mishandling of contracts and the salary cap is a very big second.

scottsp

Reaction score
So, once again, Stephen is telling us the Cowboys are facing cap constraints imposed on them and no one else.

Damn the lies. It never stops with these people.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The fans always think they can do better. It's so laughable. Stephen Jones is completely right but ofc, the idiots that think they know better will disagree.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The 9ers and Igals have like 12 guys on each of their teams who are pro bowlers, yet we can't be competitive because of 3 contracts? Okay then...

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys don't try to sign free agents because Stephen is routinely whooped in negotiations. Agents don't like even dealing with him because he's so far from reality that it's a waste of the agent and their client's time.

They create a scenario where they don't resign their big players, which creates cap room, until the last possible minute. This allows them to keep up this lie that they don't have cap room during the free agency period.

Jerry's an egomaniac and his stubborn, half-behind approach to playing GM is the biggest problem.

However, Stephen's constant mishandling of contracts and the salary cap is a very big second.
I believe this to be accurate.

Maybe it is a ploy by Stephen to hide money from the "GM" so he can't keep making Trance type trades. If that is the case, I applaud Stephen.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Going on 29 years and still trying to right the ship. Who would ever employ these clowns to run their team? Heaven help us.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am a positive fan, but I am really getting tired of the Jones’ outright lying

Don’t know why so many on this board focus on bashing Dak instead of calling out the family

If we ganged up on Jerry enough his ego may be hurt enough to do something different

Complaining about Dak does nothing

visionary

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan when asked about Jerry Jones saying they couldn't afford Derrick Henry in free agency:

"You got to pick and choose where you're going to emphasize and where you're going to put your cap resources. Certainly we've done that with Dak (Prescott) and CeeDee (Lamb) and Zack Martin and obviously on the other side of the ball with (Trevon) Diggs. You can only pay so many of those guys. And it's real. I know everybody wants to say that you could push something out, but at some point as you push out you're going to have to then make a hard decision on somebody like Micah (Parsons)."

Stephen Jones made it clear that they are not going to do anything that would prevent them from re-signing Parsons. So if they make a trade, it would unlikely involve a player under contract beyond this season.

Stephen Jones on potentially making a move this season if they wanted: "Could we take advantage of an opportunity if we felt like the situation was there? Absolutely we can. Obviously the cap is a lot more than just about this year. Where our pressure starts to hit is going forward, as we try to have three players the caliber of Dak and CeeDee and Micah."

Why not take some risks right now and not worry about the future?

Stephen Jones: "(That scenario) goes to giving up on somebody like Micah to where you'd have to move on from him. If you want to push it all out there then you won't have the resources to pay a player like Micah, pay a player like Tyler Smith. ... We believe in our process. We believe in this football team. We believe in this coaching staff. We believe we're going to right the ship."

Whew thank God!
Stephen knows what hes talking about!
Take that haterz!!!!

visionary

Reaction score
I am a positive fan, but I am really getting tired of the Jones’ outright lying

Don’t know why so many on this board focus on bashing Dak instead of calling out the family

If we ganged up on Jerry enough his ego may be hurt enough to do something different

Complaining about Dak does nothing
If youre “getting tired” now, you have clearly been asleep for almost 30 years

John813

Reaction score

Maybe. But they added 4 void years to his deal. So restructuring will be done at some point and often