Stephen speaks on Henry and cap situation

Flamma

Reaction score
Guess it'll depend on who they want to re-sign/sign next year.

Parsons seems like a lock. Should reduce his 21mil cap hit, but probably not much if they just use signing bonuses as the bulk of guarantees.
Tyler Smith will be eligible. Guards are getting low 20mil AAV.
Osa? Been *** in the run defense. Had some good advanced stats last year for the pass rush.

Will they dip their feet into the forbidden F.A. pool?
No to the bold. They have stated that they believe in their process. That means no.

Lets say Parsons gets a ridiculous 4 year 40M per extension. At this point, I'm not sure he's worth that price tag. But they'll have 5 years to spread out 181 million. That will average out to 36M a year. His first year cap hit might be around 15M.

Tyler Smith. For whatever reason, and I can't figure it out, but they don't like to pay their first round picks after 3 years. They wait until after 4 years. Completely eliminating the big cap benefit they would get if they paid the player after 3 years.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys always had the CAP room to spend $8 million on Henry, or some other quality RB. They chose to sign the cheapest RBs they could find them gaslight us about how they are "all in". CeeDee was dues about $17 million in 2024. They could have extending him way back in March to create CAP room for a RB. Or they could have extended Dak at the same time. They chose to let these negotiations drag on until the season began so they could use the CAP as an excuse for not doing anything in the offseason. It's true what he says. They have to come up with the money to sign Tyler Smith, Parsons, Bland (if they choose to sign him), and Ferguson, if they choose to sign Ferguson. But saying they had not CAP room for one prominent FA is total nonsense.

What we don't know is why they chose this strategy. I have no idea, but I am pretty certain they had some kind of plan or something. After all, what geniuses don't have a well thought out plan? (sarcasm)

Having said that, I was not a fan of signing Henry. I'd rather they get a new offensive line coach and teach their offensive linemen to run block so any RB can gain yards.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dirty-Rotten-Scoundrels--768x432.jpg

Jerry and son explaining why they could not afford Henry.

John813

Reaction score
No to the bold. They have stated that they believe in their process. That means no.

Lets say Parsons gets a ridiculous 4 year 40M per extension. At this point, I'm not sure he's worth that price tag. But they'll have 5 years to spread out 181 million. That will average out to 36M a year. His first year cap hit might be around 15M.

Tyler Smith. For whatever reason, and I can't figure it out, but they don't like to pay their first round picks after 3 years. They wait until after 4 years. Completely eliminating the big cap benefit they would get if they paid the player after 3 years.

I'm sure for Parsons deal too it'll be loaded with void years.

IMO for their 1st rounders it probably has come down to how aggressive the agent is. If it's like Diggs or Steele's agent, where they aren't shooting for max guarantees, it could get wrapped up next offseason. If it's a France level agent, I could see it dragging. CDL wanted to get max money and see what Jefferson got-resetting the market, so of course it dragged out. But with guys like Frederick IIRC signed after his 3rd full year(2016)

I'm sure Dallas will drag on any restructuring, doing so as needed to have just enough cap to sign a low FA or to re-sign someone.

The only way I could see them going back to F.A. is if they do indeed hire BillB and he sort of nudges them to be more active.
I think he could be like Parcells, willing to let Jerry run the show, but also be a big enough presence to get some stuff his way that McCarthy/Garrett/Wade would never dare ask for.

Zeke forced them to pay after 3. Maybe that was their breaking point lol.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The fans always think they can do better. It's so laughable. Stephen Jones is completely right but ofc, the idiots that think they know better will disagree.
Appeal to authority fallacy. There certainly are people on this forum that could do a better job than Stephen, who was no more qualified for the job than you or I right now. Yes, I can do a better job than both Jerry and Stephen all by myself, and you cannot prove me wrong until I have had the chance.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan when asked about Jerry Jones saying they couldn't afford Derrick Henry in free agency:

"You got to pick and choose where you're going to emphasize and where you're going to put your cap resources. Certainly we've done that with Dak (Prescott) and CeeDee (Lamb) and Zack Martin and obviously on the other side of the ball with (Trevon) Diggs. You can only pay so many of those guys. And it's real. I know everybody wants to say that you could push something out, but at some point as you push out you're going to have to then make a hard decision on somebody like Micah (Parsons)."

Stephen Jones made it clear that they are not going to do anything that would prevent them from re-signing Parsons. So if they make a trade, it would unlikely involve a player under contract beyond this season.

Stephen Jones on potentially making a move this season if they wanted: "Could we take advantage of an opportunity if we felt like the situation was there? Absolutely we can. Obviously the cap is a lot more than just about this year. Where our pressure starts to hit is going forward, as we try to have three players the caliber of Dak and CeeDee and Micah."

Why not take some risks right now and not worry about the future?

Stephen Jones: "(That scenario) goes to giving up on somebody like Micah to where you'd have to move on from him. If you want to push it all out there then you won't have the resources to pay a player like Micah, pay a player like Tyler Smith. ... We believe in our process. We believe in this football team. We believe in this coaching staff. We believe we're going to right the ship."

No Stephen your dad wanted Zeke.

Cmac

Reaction score
If they’re so concerned about not messing up the cap to extend Parsons, why don’t they just…..sign parsons now?
.....Front Office likes to play "Wait and see", and it has cost them more money.....so therein lies the excuse making. Not one call is reported to Derrick Henry to just listen at what may have been his interests. Buy the manure if you want. You can't convince me that the Capologists being paid by the organization (not our Board Capologists) couldn't adjust. Philly and SF doing it every year. Wake up fellow Board members, wake up.

Flamma

Reaction score
Zeke forced them to pay after 3. Maybe that was their breaking point lol.
I agree with the rest of your post. I wanted to highlight this. In hindsight, Jerry never should have paid him. But we didn't know that at the time. Zeke saved Jerry from himself. Paying him when Jerry did only helped the team. his cap hits were low. In the 7 years Zeke was with us, he only had 1 bad cap hit. That's what happens when you pay a first round pick after 3 years. Jerry would have dragged it out and made it much worse. For players you want to keep, you pay them after 3 years if they're a first round pick. That's how you keep the cap hits lower.

fivetwos

Reaction score

There’s no reason to wait longer if the intent is to keep them anyway.

Can’t say they don’t want to be on the hook if they get hurt because they still sign them at top dollar. Gallup and Steele are prime examples.

They honestly and truly have no idea what they are doing. They just don’t. No part of it makes any real sense.

They would need several miracle drafts in a row for it to ever have a shot at working, and even then they would likely need a vet or two to get over the hump but they will refuse because they need to save to sign the jersey sellers years down the road.

I spent years being hopeful on the blind squirrel thing, but I now know they can’t win and never will. There’s too many other teams that are run much better in many ways.

Adreme

Reaction score
He'll be looking for a deal next offseason. That's why I mentioned him. Doubt they would want to tag a CB, that figure won't be cheap at all.
It won’t matter until 2026 though. Even if you extend him his cap number likely doesn’t change next season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Look just accept the fact that these two are liars, plain and simple.

They take the fans' loyalty for granted and think that they can tell them whatever they want and the fans will just lap it up. And in fairness, many fans do. Many fans actually believe the team has serious cap constraints that prevents them from being active in FA. Its a flat out lie, but many still believe it. Many fans believe that Jerry invests in his team like no other owner. That's a lie, we have actual data to prove it, but nonetheless there are fans that actually believe it.

The only way Jerry course corrects here is if the fans slap back at him and his doofus offspring but that's likely to never happen in these last few years of Jerrys life.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Appeal to authority fallacy. There certainly are people on this forum that could do a better job than Stephen, who was no more qualified for the job than you or I right now. Yes, I can do a better job than both Jerry and Stephen all by myself, and you cannot prove me wrong until I have had the chance.
You are just proving my point. Thanks for that. It's hilarious to hear you think you know so much.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen is full of it.
If they really wanted Henry they could have gotten Henry.

Problem is the last two drafts that did not take a RB in the first two days and when they did take one it was late in the draft one year and not a three down back.

Their answer to this was to bring back Zeke who is a short yard back and pass protector.

They have no three down back on the team at this time.

They have roll players with no clear starter.

They have nobody to blame but themselves.

If they did not want to pay good money for a RB they should have drafted one in the first two days of the past two drafts.

Cmac

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan when asked about Jerry Jones saying they couldn't afford Derrick Henry in free agency:

"You got to pick and choose where you're going to emphasize and where you're going to put your cap resources. Certainly we've done that with Dak (Prescott) and CeeDee (Lamb) and Zack Martin and obviously on the other side of the ball with (Trevon) Diggs. You can only pay so many of those guys. And it's real. I know everybody wants to say that you could push something out, but at some point as you push out you're going to have to then make a hard decision on somebody like Micah (Parsons)."

Stephen Jones made it clear that they are not going to do anything that would prevent them from re-signing Parsons. So if they make a trade, it would unlikely involve a player under contract beyond this season.

Stephen Jones on potentially making a move this season if they wanted: "Could we take advantage of an opportunity if we felt like the situation was there? Absolutely we can. Obviously the cap is a lot more than just about this year. Where our pressure starts to hit is going forward, as we try to have three players the caliber of Dak and CeeDee and Micah."

Why not take some risks right now and not worry about the future?

Stephen Jones: "(That scenario) goes to giving up on somebody like Micah to where you'd have to move on from him. If you want to push it all out there then you won't have the resources to pay a player like Micah, pay a player like Tyler Smith. ... We believe in our process. We believe in this football team. We believe in this coaching staff. We believe we're going to right the ship."

How long has the future been since 1995?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jones boys talk to Cowboys fans like we’re all toddlers who aren't capable or willing to do some reading and understand how the cap works and why the teams winning SBs make the cap work for them. These guys are lazy, insulting and incapable of having any empathy for the very fans who support their pocketbooks.