Stephen speaks on Henry and cap situation

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Don’t get mad at parsons for Stephen using him as an example…if it wasn’t parsons specifically he’d use another big name guy as a scape goat. He’s full of it. It’s been explained multiple times how you can create cap space and YES eventually the Bill comes due but I’d rather us kick the can now or rather this offseason at going for it than like we did in the past with teams that were 8-8

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They absolutely should have added some guys but Henry isn’t one of them. Unless he’s an OL coach in his spare time.
I was hoping I would find a sane person 'round these parts and I did,

OL coach AND a OC that can call good run plays through the whole game.

Henry is gifted...but he's got okay blocking and some space to get his big body running.

Our blocking? Well...just see Dak almost touchback to tell you how good we block.

People think Henry is good enough to run out of that. Weirdos. Insane clown weirdos. But then...that's our world now isn't it?

Sydla

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan when asked about Jerry Jones saying they couldn't afford Derrick Henry in free agency:

"You got to pick and choose where you're going to emphasize and where you're going to put your cap resources. Certainly we've done that with Dak (Prescott) and CeeDee (Lamb) and Zack Martin and obviously on the other side of the ball with (Trevon) Diggs. You can only pay so many of those guys. And it's real. I know everybody wants to say that you could push something out, but at some point as you push out you're going to have to then make a hard decision on somebody like Micah (Parsons)."

Stephen Jones made it clear that they are not going to do anything that would prevent them from re-signing Parsons. So if they make a trade, it would unlikely involve a player under contract beyond this season.

Stephen Jones on potentially making a move this season if they wanted: "Could we take advantage of an opportunity if we felt like the situation was there? Absolutely we can. Obviously the cap is a lot more than just about this year. Where our pressure starts to hit is going forward, as we try to have three players the caliber of Dak and CeeDee and Micah."

Why not take some risks right now and not worry about the future?

Stephen Jones: "(That scenario) goes to giving up on somebody like Micah to where you'd have to move on from him. If you want to push it all out there then you won't have the resources to pay a player like Micah, pay a player like Tyler Smith. ... We believe in our process. We believe in this football team. We believe in this coaching staff. We believe we're going to right the ship."

Another 100% steaming pile of BS from the Jones’ family.

They dont care that they are lying right to the fans’ faces.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's amazing how the Eagles signed their QB and 1 WR to big money and yet still had money to go sign Barkley who has been a huge diffrence maker to that team. Without Barkley they might be 0-3 right now. See how that's done cap boy????!!! They signed two of their important players to big money like you did and still had the idea to go out and use free agency to make their team better. How is that cap boy? Do they play with a different cap than you do??? The fans are done buying the Jones boys crap that they tried to feed us every year. You and your daddy suck at your job it's just that simple. You two clowns hold the Cowboys back.
They also signed their young OG to a largish deal, they have some contracts that need addressing coming up and yet they are still active in FA.

One of two things is happening here and both suck for the fans.

One is that Jerry and his idiot son just sucking at managing the cap. They claim cap poor every year and yet are a bottom ten team in cash spent over the last decade. So they are doing something wrong with the cap that other teams are doing.

The other option is they are just cheap *******s and work the cap in such a way that it makes it look like they are cap strapped all the time.

slick325

Reaction score
He never mentions Daron Bland. I wonder if they are going to sell it as a Micah OR Bland thing. I'm sure Cap Boy will and then sell us on the comp 3rd round pick they will receive for him when he signs elsewhere.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan when asked about Jerry Jones saying they couldn't afford Derrick Henry in free agency:

"You got to pick and choose where you're going to emphasize and where you're going to put your cap resources. Certainly we've done that with Dak (Prescott) and CeeDee (Lamb) and Zack Martin and obviously on the other side of the ball with (Trevon) Diggs. You can only pay so many of those guys. And it's real. I know everybody wants to say that you could push something out, but at some point as you push out you're going to have to then make a hard decision on somebody like Micah (Parsons)."

Stephen Jones made it clear that they are not going to do anything that would prevent them from re-signing Parsons. So if they make a trade, it would unlikely involve a player under contract beyond this season.

Stephen Jones on potentially making a move this season if they wanted: "Could we take advantage of an opportunity if we felt like the situation was there? Absolutely we can. Obviously the cap is a lot more than just about this year. Where our pressure starts to hit is going forward, as we try to have three players the caliber of Dak and CeeDee and Micah."

Stephen Jones: "(That scenario) goes to giving up on somebody like Micah to where you'd have to move on from him. If you want to push it all out there then you won't have the resources to pay a player like Micah, pay a player like Tyler Smith. ... We believe in our process. We believe in this football team. We believe in this coaching staff. We believe we're going to right the ship."

Liar liar pants on FIRE!!!!

plasticman

Reaction score
Nobody was demanding that the Cowboys sign the very best, highest priced RB. That is not the overwhelming criticism.

The bar wasn't set at HOF RB. In fact, the issue wasn't veteran free agency until it was the only option left.

For goodness sakes, Stephen, you couldn't draft a few NFL quality RB's over the past couple seasons? I realize the position has been "devalued", but you act like it was entirely eliminated.

The last time the Cowboys drafted a RB over 5 ft. 6 inches was 2019 when they got Pollard. That is absolutely ridiculous. They lost Zeke and didn't restock through the draft . except for a "feel good", family moment in the 6th round. They lost Pollard and, still, they ignored the position.

This isn't a salary cap issue, it is a gross mismanagement issue that highlights the incompetence and complete lack of expertise at the highest level of football operations for this franchise.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Philadelphia says hi

The truth is, Stephen is just not good at cap management. He relies on this narrative because he lacks the capability to establish smart contract management, roster building, and creative accounting.
So in other words - he sucks.

triplets_93

Reaction score

“The Cowboys never called at all,” Derrick Henry revealed to “Mad Dog Radio” back in March 2024, dropping a bombshell that left Dallas fans scratching their heads. Fast forward to September 23, 2024, and Jerry Jones is finally singing a different tune, albeit one that sounds suspiciously like a country song about being broke.

The saga began in the offseason when Henry, a Dallas resident, expressed interest in joining America’s Team. “That’s where I stay in the offseason. I’m at the back end of my career. That’s a great organization. It would have been a great opportunity,” Henry had said. But Jerry and Co. ghosted the running back. Instead, they opted to bring back Ezekiel Elliott on a budget-friendly one-year, $3 million deal.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/n...e-claim-by-blaming-dallas-cowboys-salary-cap/

Flamma

Reaction score
Maybe. But they added 4 void years to his deal. So restructuring will be done at some point and often
Agreed. It's a good tool whether or not you intend to restructure. The void years are there if needed. But restructuring his contract next year would make no logical sense.

Flamma

Reaction score
I was hoping I would find a sane person 'round these parts and I did,

OL coach AND a OC that can call good run plays through the whole game.

Henry is gifted...but he's got okay blocking and some space to get his big body running.

Our blocking? Well...just see Dak almost touchback to tell you how good we block.

People think Henry is good enough to run out of that. Weirdos. Insane clown weirdos. But then...that's our world now isn't it?
I mentioned this in another thread. Our OL can't open up holes for Deuce to run through, Henry would be running into a brick wall.

fivetwos

Reaction score
My question is…..they clearly aren’t good enough as is. If they can’t afford to add other players to the mix, then where is all this going?

What’s the plan? IS there one? Miracle drafts? Guess so.

They couldn’t win when paying Lamb and Dak nothing. What’s supposed to happen once Smith and Parsons are signed?

They go out of their way to keep the band together that clearly isn’t good enough and hope the draft bails them out. I think we’ve already seen that it doesn’t work.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry and Stephen think they are politicians and that, somehow, people will keep buying this ish. Yet, whether or not you were for or against the Dak signing and/or CeeDee signing, the Cowboys' Cap Space increased ALOT after those moves...so, everything they say is 100% pure BS
well we're buying all their BS, we're buying tickets, merch, food, parking, tickets, jersey's etc!! Lol we're the problem!!!!!

John813

Reaction score
Agreed. It's a good tool whether or not you intend to restructure. The void years are there if needed. But restructuring his contract next year would make no logical sense.

Guess it'll depend on who they want to re-sign/sign next year.

Parsons seems like a lock. Should reduce his 21mil cap hit, but probably not much if they just use signing bonuses as the bulk of guarantees.
Tyler Smith will be eligible. Guards are getting low 20mil AAV.
Osa? Been *** in the run defense. Had some good advanced stats last year for the pass rush.

Will they dip their feet into the forbidden F.A. pool?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I mentioned this in another thread. Our OL can't open up holes for Deuce to run through, Henry would be running into a brick wall.
this is what people don't realize!!!!!!!!!!!! Get Henry get Henry get Henry for what???? We don't block well enough, it was a smart movie by jerruh

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He never mentions Daron Bland. I wonder if they are going to sell it as a Micah OR Bland thing. I'm sure Cap Boy will and then sell us on the comp 3rd round pick they will receive for him when he signs elsewhere.
Bland isn't a free agent until 2026.