Twitter: Stephen: Surtain vs. Horn: “It’s a great debate."

blueblood70

Reaction score
knowing them they’ll trade down and wind up getting inferior talent. All because they want to be the smartest guys in the room.
not this year because even if somehow they lose out trading down on say the 3 we talk about the most there are players like Phillips, Farley , and Moerhig down around 15-20 maybe even Barmore to suit a need and be very close talent wise to what we would have had in the 10 area..with defense this year that holds true..i doubt they can mess the frost 2 picks up with defense as many are all pretty close talent wise..

The Realist

Reaction score
1) Surtain came out of the womb being coached by an NFL CB. Horn’s dad was a WR.

2) Surtain got better coaching at Alabama than Horn did at SC.

3) Every day in practice since 2018 Surtain has gone against Ridley, Ruggs, Juedy, Smith and Waddle

4) Surtain is much more disciplined and has better technique.

5) Horn is a slightly better athlete. 4.39 vs 4.42, 41.5 vert vs 39, 133 broad jump vs 131.

6) Horn is very grabby and gets flagged for penalties way too much.

If what Broaddus says is true (coaches prefer Horn, scouts prefer) it is only because of the Quinn/Muschamp relationship and MM coached Joe Horn. Coach former player relationship didn’t work out so well with Bobby Carpenter.

BermyStar

Reaction score
With all this talk of DBs I really feel we're going to trade up for Pitts. Or we're taking Sewel or Slater. Or trading down. Just a gut feeling I have. I feel this is a smokescreen. I'm not saying I want this but this seems like too much discussion prior to a draft on one specific position. Either our GMs are incredibly stupid, yes that is true, or they're putting up a smokescreen.
Most years we get a lot of talk pre draft regarding the Boys' pick and it's usually solid info. I don't think they care to smoke screen really. They like who they like and they make it known. I suppose they like enough guys that they don't care if someone trades ahead for one of their targets.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Oh the great Smoke Screen has been initiated just days leading up to the draft.
Jerrahs reported interest in Pitts is the same thing. Smoke everywhere. Always fun watching the dreamers fantasize. Entertaining.

conner01

Reaction score
With all this talk of DBs I really feel we're going to trade up for Pitts. Or we're taking Sewel or Slater. Or trading down. Just a gut feeling I have. I feel this is a smokescreen. I'm not saying I want this but this seems like too much discussion prior to a draft on one specific position. Either our GMs are incredibly stupid, yes that is true, or they're putting up a smokescreen.
Trading up from 10 would be the dumbest move we could make
Trading up later in the draft would be a smart move
We don’t need 10 players
We need 4-5 really good players

jnday

Reaction score
I just don’t think Parsons or JOK are worth 10
I have my doubts as well. While I was reading a Giants draft article, they mentioned that the Giants think that Parsons has a diva attitude, much like Idell Beckham. That is a really bad attitude to have for a LB.

Reactions: CWR

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The first DT will be lucky to be picked in the top 20. At least 2 edge rushers will go before a DT.
If we stay at 10, it has to be CB or offense. If we trade down, I think CB, offense, or S Moehrig.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You mean you HOPE they trade up for Pitts. Cuz the REAL reality is that Jerry put out a video on him telling Pitts he loves him. If there was EVER a smoke screen it would be that.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I've been vacillating between Horn and Surtain for the last couple of week but I think I have landed on the pick Surtain side of the coin because of all the penalties Horn draws. If refs get a sniff of that he's doomed in the league .. THey will start flagging him for breathing on a receiver. He may have a slightly higher ceiling than Surtain but I think Surtain will be able to play and contribute sooner and will be the solid starter for a decade we want. And there is the outside chance that he becomes a Revis or Woodson (any of the three will do) type.. It's just a gut feeling at this point.. but I think I like Surtain over Horn as of this moment..

DandyDon52

Reaction score

this guy looks pretty good, and would be a versatile player, if quinn knew how to utilize him.
I would rather take a guy like this than a CB.

But jones boys like their guys and think quinn can fix them lol.

I will add that this guy would day 1 be better at pass coverage, and stopping the run
than jaylon or lve! He is fast, they say he is smart, but still it would depend on how
quinn uses him.
Same thing for a CB, depends on how quinn has them play as to how well they will do.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
this guy looks pretty good, and would be a versatile player, if quinn knew how to utilize him.

I will add that this guy would day 1 be better at pass coverage, and stopping the run
than jaylon or lve! He is fast, they say he is smart, but still it would depend on how
quinn uses him.
Same thing for a CB, depends on how quinn has them play as to how well they will do.

The linebacker position has the same issue that the running back position does.. Short shelf life due to collision rate.. Look at all the great ones who have called it quits early in recent years.. Willis, Bowman, Keuchley.. all done before 30. Tough to draft a guy in the top 10 expecting to only get 6-7 years out of him and that's the reality of inside backers in today's NFL. Does he play outside perchance? If so then that might be worth the risk..

JBond

Reaction score
Take the LB if he is there. Happy with Surtain as the consultation prize.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
NFL.com compared him to Derwin James, b b but hes a reach :rolleyes:

quinn uses him.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
So much for holding things close to the vest. Looks like stupidity runs in the family.
The conversations we're having on this site are the same conversations going on in Dallas' war room. We all know who has declared for the draft, that's no secret. So Sonny-Boy really didn't spill the beans, he just told the truth.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The conversations we're having on this site are the same conversations going on in Dallas' war room. We all know who has declared for the draft, that's no secret. So Sonny-Boy really didn't spill the beans, he just told the truth.
Made it obvious they are looking really hard at both and those are the top two guys. Not earth shattering, but why say anything?

cowboyec

Reaction score
carolina at 8 might settle this debate for us if they take our bama corner.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Made it obvious they are looking really hard at both and those are the top two guys. Not earth shattering, but why say anything?
Teams talk draft boards before the draft. It's not that unusual anymore. They're more money hungry than they are secretive. Paid interviews and the internet have changed things. Followers want the truth so teams give them the truth. It's a money grab in my opinion. They're picking up as many pennies as they can.