Stephen: Tyler Smith staying at G remains to be seen

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I don't read or watch anything the father and son duo say. It is just ridiculous that they have ANY input into what goes on with players, current or future, much less their own shows on radio every other day. You might as well bring in a circus clown to run this team....oh wait....
Well, it's a family business and they call the shots. it will probably stay that way until it's sold, which none of us will probably be around to see.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
So this has been a debate for a very long time in here. As mixed opinions from many fans ... LG or LT, as everyone thinks they are correct.
But let Stephen mention this, and he gets ridiculed. Typical place, shows they know nothing but how to whine and complain.
+1 ......fans are taking his words and running. He didn't say Tyler was Larry Allen. He said the fact he can play tackle and guard at a high level is "starting" to feel like Larry Allen. I think referring to the situation/process, not the player.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
They need to pick on and stick with it otherwise you are doing him a disservice. How many HOF Linemen are consistently switching positions?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If a LT is the top prospect when we pick, draft the LT so you get him 4-5 years on a rookie deal and Tyler will get his contract a year from now as a guard. If we want to get more powerful up the middle, keep Tyler where he is And find a Center or play Huffman.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones at combine on if he prefers Tyler Smith to stay at LG: “That remains to be seen. It’s starting to feel like Larry Allen all over again.” Can dominate at G or T. “His versatility certainly brings options to the table in terms of how we look at this team moving forward.”

It would make sense to consider, much harder to find a good LT vs a good guard. I think this all depends on what happens with Tyron Smith. Cowboys just have to ask themselves if they want to replace 2 oline starters in 1 season.

dogberry

Reaction score
Tyron stays. Move Tyler to right tackle. Accept righting off Steele’s money. Find a guard.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones at combine on if he prefers Tyler Smith to stay at LG: “That remains to be seen. It’s starting to feel like Larry Allen all over again.” Can dominate at G or T. “His versatility certainly brings options to the table in terms of how we look at this team moving forward.”

That means we are still working on Tyron's new contract.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
oh thought this was a thread about frontman of Aerosmith Stephen Tyler...nevermind

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So this has been a debate for a very long time in here. As mixed opinions from many fans ... LG or LT, as everyone thinks they are correct.
But let Stephen mention this, and he gets ridiculed. Typical place, shows they know nothing but how to whine and complain.
Yeah I mean, I dislike Stephen as much as the next guy, but his assessment of Tyler Smith is really pretty reasonable. He can dominate at any position on the line.

Also, Tyler Smith was a 2nd team All Pro in his second year at 22 years old. For everyone to pretend he’s just some JAG that we’re talking about here is just comical.

John813

Reaction score
To me, I believe the team has a guy in Bass who may not be an Probowl talent but could become a starter in this league.
Tyler needs to work on his technique some more, either at guard or tackle, but he has the ability to be a very good LT in this league.
If Tyron leaves, I think you put Tyler back at Tackle and roll with Bass/later draft pick/dumpster FA at left guard.

I get not wanting to ignore the line but it can be built without top draft picks.
Especially for the G/C spots.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about in the thead of Tolbert, this front office do not let players develop fast enough, they want their cake and eat it too, they want to hang on to Tyron for another couple of years and keep Tyler at guard, instead of letting Tyler become a dominant LT and develop Bass.

Whats going to happen is #77 stays put, and frequently injured again, #73 underdevelops and Bass goes to play for another team.

1942willys

Reaction score
To me, I believe the team has a guy in Bass who may not be an Probowl talent but could become a starter in this league.
Tyler needs to work on his technique some more, either at guard or tackle, but he has the ability to be a very good LT in this league.
If Tyron leaves, I think you put Tyler back at Tackle and roll with Bass/later draft pick/dumpster FA at left guard.

I get not wanting to ignore the line but it can be built without top draft picks.
Especially for the G/C spots.
When was the last time we got a top starter that was not a high draft pick on the line? Not counting Steele as he is good but not a top starter.
For whatever reason, we do not score big on lower rd picks on the O line

John813

Reaction score
When was the last time we got a top starter that was not a high draft pick on the line? Not counting Steele as he is good but not a top starter.
For whatever reason, we do not score big on lower rd picks on the O line
I would say Ron Leary back in 2012 as an UDFA.
Short peak but was a beast at LG with a mean streak.

Doug Free was also an average starter and was a 4th round pick.
La'el collins too, but he fell due to that investigation.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
“ It’s starting to feel like Larry Allen all over again.”

I am glad its only his dad that makes outrageous statements ......... but I am sure its just the "haters" fault and they just took this the wrong way.

MLB53

Reaction score
Tyler at LT, TJ Bass at LG and Draft at C and OL is fixed for years to come