Stephen: Tyler Smith staying at G remains to be seen

Kwyn

Reaction score
is a borderline dominant LG....how good can he be at LT....
considering everyone is clamoring for him to be the LT, it would appear that LG is easier to play.

Also, considering Tyron Smith played better than Tyler Smith last year, then wouldn’t it make sense that the team would see a drop off at LT if Tyler moved out there and we let Tyron go?

For some reason people think Tyler will be *better* at LT than at LG but I don’t see any evidence that would lead me to believe that.

Kwyn

Reaction score
+1 ......fans are taking his words and running. He didn't say Tyler was Larry Allen. He said the fact he can play tackle and guard at a high level is "starting" to feel like Larry Allen. I think referring to the situation/process, not the player.
Quit trying to be rational. This is the Zone!

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why is Stevie talking about players positions? I thought he was the cap guy.

Sheesh, this family called the jones sucks.

HanD

Reaction score
considering everyone is clamoring for him to be the LT, it would appear that LG is easier to play.

Also, considering Tyron Smith played better than Tyler Smith last year, then wouldn’t it make sense that the team would see a drop off at LT if Tyler moved out there and we let Tyron go?

For some reason people think Tyler will be *better* at LT than at LG but I don’t see any evidence that would lead me to believe that.
Agreed. There are several things that influence where he plays including if Tyron or biadasz get resigned and who is available as we pick. But I think he's better at lg.

plymkr

Reaction score
Sounds like they're not sure about a tyron return?! Round 1 OL?
Regardless if Tyron comes back we should go T in round 1. Tyron isn’t going to play much longer and he has not played a full season in years. Steele has lost a step (hopefully he is back to form next year). So T in round 1 is a must. DT or LB in round 2 and 3.

quickccc

Reaction score
Comparisons to Larry Allen are crazy at this point.

That being said. I do think moving Tyler back to LT would be fine depending on who else they try to bring in. Might be easier to find another LG than another LT.
it is...imo.

But will/how long will we have the same OL coach around ? we've been going thru a revolving door at OL coach
for several years.
Pollack
Alexander
Columbo
Philibin
Solari
and none seem to last more than 2 years.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Tyron stays. Move Tyler to right tackle. Accept righting off Steele’s money. Find a guard.
Tyler is the eventually left tackle whether we re-sign Tyron short term or not. The only thing that could alter that is if Richards just played out of his mind at the position. I would not be surprised to see us let Tyron walk this offseason and have a three-way battle for the LT and LG spots among Tyler, Richards and Bass.

Brax

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones at combine on if he prefers Tyler Smith to stay at LG: “That remains to be seen. It’s starting to feel like Larry Allen all over again.” Can dominate at G or T. “His versatility certainly brings options to the table in terms of how we look at this team moving forward.”

We just have to wait until coach Jerry makes the decision

Big_D

Reaction score
You have a few holes so it really depends which of those you can fill. Sitting at 24 I think you can find a great center and a guard even in FA before you can find a starting LT. Fill that interior Oline and move him to tackle. If not you're likely looking at a middling to low end FA LT.

MikeT22

Reaction score
How do you know that? I've never heard that one.
Go Long series by Tyler Dunne…Inside Jerry’s World.

“I’m like, ‘Bro. You all do not understand what goes on in that organization,’” Butler says. “You get guys that are benched and it has nothing to do with the coaches. If Jerry wants somebody to play, he’s playing.”

Butler first points to Ronald Leary getting benched, at guard, for rookie tackle La’el Collins in 2015. He vividly remembers Leary telling him that the coaches were adamant it wasn’t their call, that this decision came from “upstairs.”

—-
The first three part series is an interesting read. Look it up. Heard much of the same over the years from many others.