Stephen: Tyler Smith staying at G remains to be seen

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
That's the problem with doing this position flex thing. Players need to be put in their best position to succeed and kept there so they can hone their craft and become great. Our best linemen is Zack, and he just insisted on staying at RG permanently and became great. Keep Tyler at LT and put either Bass/Richards at RG and keep them there. Search for your center.

Enough of this flex crap......tired, tired and tired of it. :mad:

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Tyler is the eventually left tackle whether we re-sign Tyron short term or not. The only thing that could alter that is if Richards just played out of his mind at the position. I would not be surprised to see us let Tyron walk this offseason and have a three-way battle for the LT and LG spots among Tyler, Richards and Bass.
Terrence Steele may be in that mix for LG as well, with his recent dip, and prospects at RT in draft

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Terrence Steele may be in that mix for LG as well, with his recent dip, and prospects at RT in draft
I think the team likes Steele as its starting right tackle better than a lot of fans seem to. I will be surprised if he goes anywhere. The team knows he was coming off an ACL tear and it takes time to fully recover from that.

Big_D

Reaction score
Do we want an all pro OG or a soso OLT?

Are we talking about Smith, a draftee or a FA? Cause I think that's what they're looking at in every situation. If you move Smith, you could probably find a very good Interior linemen. If you keep him, you probably get a middle of the road or lower LT. Either way, you're doing good at guard, you still have a hole at center and are probably worse off at LT.

If Tyron does come back, let's hope he can play a full slate. I think they got lucky last year. Then the only hole is at center.

a possibility?..

Tyler LT
Rd1 center
FA guard or if there's a guy on the bench. I really don't see that as an option though. And I definitely don't see a LT on the bench.

Gambit

Reaction score
Are we talking about Smith, a draftee or a FA? Cause I think that's what they're looking at in every situation. If you move Smith, you could probably find a very good Interior linemen. If you keep him, you probably get a middle of the road or lower LT. Either way, you're doing good at guard, you still have a hole at center and are probably worse off at LT.

If Tyron does come back, let's hope he can play a full slate. I think they got lucky last year. Then the only hole is at center.

a possibility?..

Tyler LT
Rd1 center
FA guard or if there's a guy on the bench. I really don't see that as an option though. And I definitely don't see a LT on the bench.
My guess is Barton is probably the priority target now, maybe Jordan or Guyton. Barton makes more sense with his position flex ability can play anywhere on line if needed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Unless we draft a LT now that Tyron is done in Dallas, Tyler will move over to LT permanently.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Unless we draft a LT now that Tyron is done in Dallas, Tyler will move over to LT permanently.
move him to LT and draft Barton who is a beast LG and can play center as well and is NFL ready.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Tyler was better in 2022 than 2023 that’s all I’m saying. The tape clearly backs that up. He completely clears his lane and gets to the 2nd level far better than Tyron. Tyron was probably still a better pass blocker but not by much. Tyler is an overall upgrade at LT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Do we want an all pro OG or a soso OLT?
PFF already had TylerS as better than average LT as a rookie, and that was at 21.

Tyron was 21 and didn't make a Pro Bowl at LT until 23, All Pro at 24. Martin's first All Pro at 24. Frederick's at 25. Takes a while for big boys to grow into their bodies.

Tyler will be 23 this year. I'd expect Tyler to be borderline Pro Bowl at LT this year. He was an athletic freak project who lived up to it by my eyeballs. Fantastic agility and strength.

Even Terrence Steele was better than a so so T in 2022, and he's not the same species as Tyler Smith.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL.......It sounds like Stephen already knew how the meeting with Tyron's agent would end.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
PFF already had TylerS as better than average LT as a rookie, and that was at 21.

Tyron was 21 and didn't make a Pro Bowl at LT until 23, All Pro at 24. Martin's first All Pro at 24. Frederick's at 25. Takes a while for big boys to grow into their bodies.

Tyler will be 23 this year. I'd expect Tyler to be borderline Pro Bowl at LT this year. He was an athletic freak project who lived up to it by my eyeballs. Fantastic agility and strength.

Even Terrence Steele was better than a so so T in 2022, and he's not the same species as Tyler Smith.
They’re going to move Tyler. He is best equipped to man the position. Bass or Richards could slide over to LG. They could still draft someone like JPJ or Barton to play Center.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They’re going to move Tyler. He is best equipped to man the position. Bass or Richards could slide over to LG. They could still draft someone like JPJ or Barton to play Center.
I'm all for spending the 1st on a C.

But I dunno about Tyron. Stronger oline if we keep Tyron. Seems more Jerry's style to keep Tyron to give McCarthy/Dak "their chance" this year.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Boom and you have a much better run game.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

Tyler at LT. The power and ability to move is far better. Guy is still young and will be dominant.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

Tyler at LT. The power and ability to move is far better. Guy is still young and will be dominant.

I have no issue with Tyron moving on. I just wish they would allocate those resources to a few impactful signings on defense in FA.