Stephen: Wants Dak's deal done before season

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If he is sub par in passing, then how has he led the NFL in 4th quarter and overtime comebacks the past 3 years?

Its an exaggeration to say the least.
well if he didnt play sub par early in the game , he wouldnt be behind and have to comeback and win ??
teams get behind by playing poorly.
Dak is either very good or very bad, and he is up and down in games and from game to game.
He isnt consistent with either one.
I like dak, I think he has a lot of potential, but he looks like he hasnt been properly coached since he joined the cowboys.
He has actually gotten worse not better and it is coaching and how he is utilized.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
But that’s basically what you are saying in the results wouldn’t be different.

Better FO and coaching here isn’t currently an option.

We are a talent dependent franchise. The greater talent at key positions the more potential for favorable results. Look how we improved adding Cooper. Imagine if we added a QB as talented.
Better FO and coaching here isn’t currently an option...........that is true
About amari, will he get better or worse, since it seems to me when good players come here, they start to decline, not get better.
Dak was good right out of college, but has gotten worse with cowboys coaching him up!
Same for elliot, much better right out of college.

So thats why dallas wont be winning any SB's with current HC and staff.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Now that Tank is signed, gives the talking heads (and us) something to argue over. It’s free publicity.
It is also creating an excuse to not get a deal done, they can say dak is not being team friendly, so it looks like he is the bad guy
not the jones boys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Better FO and coaching here isn’t currently an option...........that is true
About amari, will he get better or worse, since it seems to me when good players come here, they start to decline, not get better.
Dak was good right out of college, but has gotten worse with cowboys coaching him up!
Same for elliot, much better right out of college.

So thats why dallas wont be winning any SB's with current HC and staff.
That’s simply not true.

Dez like most of our receiving Corp decreased their production when Romo left.

Dez peaked in 2014 with All Pro honors which he wasn’t right out of OK St. And Elliott never led the country in rushing at Ohio St.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
well if he didnt play sub par early in the game , he wouldnt be behind and have to comeback and win ??
teams get behind by playing poorly.
Dak is either very good or very bad, and he is up and down in games and from game to game.
He isnt consistent with either one.
I like dak, I think he has a lot of potential, but he looks like he hasnt been properly coached since he joined the cowboys.
He has actually gotten worse not better and it is coaching and how he is utilized.

Nah, he just a young QB developing. And his Oline has been horrid at pass blocking. Receivers were terrible before Cooper, coaching stinks. Not the recipe for consistency in any QB.

I would rather take a QB that comes up big in clutch moments and saves the day for his team and gets the win.

The team around him has gotten worse. Some people have a hard time understanding those dynamics.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
LOL....Average season? You mean the pro bowl one?

Poor little troll is having a tough time arent you?
Dak in the Pro Bowl.

4/11 (36.4%) passing for 45 yards (4.1 Yds/Att), 1TD/1INT with a 41.9 QB rating.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
How desperate of a hater does a guy have to be to pull up bad Pro Bowl stats to try and make a guy look bad? LOL
I made no comment, just showed the stats. You're the one to say it;s bad...lol

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The reality of the situation is that the longer the team waits, the more expensive it is going to be. That is just the nature of the league, contracts go up every year, not down.

It boils down to this fellas...….if they are sold that Dak is a franchise QB, then they need to sign him ASAP. The longer they wait, the more expensive he becomes. If they have their doubts, then start looking for a new QB and make the move, dont bother with the franchise tag. Why? Because the franchise tag for QBs next year is projected to be around $27 million. That is franchise QB money. If you think Dak is a franchise QB, then sign him now. If you dont think he is a franchise QB, dont pay him like he is.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Then I’d like our chances of using our 1st round pick in 2020 and whatever assets needed to grab our next franchise QB.

If we aren’t able to get over the hump or advance further in these Rookie contracts then it’s going to be much tougher once we sign them to surround with as much Elite talent.

You realize that you dont just "grab a franchise QB", lol.

Half the teams in the league are looking for franchise QBs, they dont grow on trees. Also, just because you draft a QB in the first round doesn't mean he is going to be a franchise QB. Do you know how many first round QBs wash out of the league or become career backups?

Also, unless we totally bomb out this season and win 4 or 5 games, we are going to be picking in the bottom half of the draft. What assests are you trading to move up and draft our next franchise QB? To go from say pick 25 to a top 3 pick is going to cost you multiple first round picks and then some, maybe even a young probowl player. What if you mortgage the future and the dude you draft doesn't pan? You just traded away the farm and came up snake eyes on your quest for the next franchise QB.

My point is that its not as easy as you are making it sound. Half the teams in the league are looking for franchise QBs and have yet to find them. The norm is it takes time, sometimes a lot of time, for a team to go from one franchise QB to another. Situations like Green Bay are the exception to the rule. You dont go from one franchise QB to another seamlessly. More often than not, you have a long period in between franchise QBs. Buffalo is still looking and its been how many decades since Jim Kelley was there? How about the Rams? You know how many years they sucked once Kurt Warner hung up the cleats and just now with Jared Goff they are back. How many years did the Titans suck after Steve McNair left? They have Marriotta, but the jury is still out on him if he is a true franchise QB because he gets hurt every dam year. So they may still be looking. What about teams like Arizona? Miami? Cleveland? Do you know how many QBs they have been through?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think we know what we have with Dak by now. And the problem is that what we have A. isn't that good (at least as not as good as 2016 made us initially think) and B. is still probably worth $25 million a season, because the NFL QB market is screwed.

He's not going to get cheaper if we wait till next year. I'd say just go ahead, avoid a D-Law situation, and sign the deal now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You realize that you dont just "grab a franchise QB", lol.

Half the teams in the league are looking for franchise QBs, they dont grow on trees. Also, just because you draft a QB in the first round doesn't mean he is going to be a franchise QB. Do you know how many first round QBs wash out of the league or become career backups?

Also, unless we totally bomb out this season and win 4 or 5 games, we are going to be picking in the bottom half of the draft. What assests are you trading to move up and draft our next franchise QB? To go from say pick 25 to a top 3 pick is going to cost you multiple first round picks and then some, maybe even a young probowl player. What if you mortgage the future and the dude you draft doesn't pan? You just traded away the farm and came up snake eyes on your quest for the next franchise QB.

My point is that its not as easy as you are making it sound. Half the teams in the league are looking for franchise QBs and have yet to find them. The norm is it takes time, sometimes a lot of time, for a team to go from one franchise QB to another. Situations like Green Bay are the exception to the rule. You dont go from one franchise QB to another seamlessly. More often than not, you have a long period in between franchise QBs. Buffalo is still looking and its been how many decades since Jim Kelley was there? How about the Rams? You know how many years they sucked once Kurt Warner hung up the cleats and just now with Jared Goff they are back. How many years did the Titans suck after Steve McNair left? They have Marriotta, but the jury is still out on him if he is a true franchise QB because he gets hurt every dam year. So they may still be looking. What about teams like Arizona? Miami? Cleveland? Do you know how many QBs they have been through?
Of course it’s not easy but unless you have the front office and or coaching staff that can build around a less than Elite QB, what do you have without one?

And why Id keep swinging for the fences until I hit a home run. You made the perfect argument . What do those teams have that never hit on a great QB?

Otherwise you spend years trying to surround a lesser QB which is much tougher and end up with the lower level caliber playoff team we have had at best unless you build the perfect team around them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve seen the argument that even elite QBs need talent around them . Of course they do. But look what they do with it. That’s the difference.

It’s the exception you build a championship team without a HOF caliber QB , not the rule.

It’s why we see franchises continue to risk their future in the drafts and FA to land one. As a result when you reach for one there’s going to be failures but again without one the road is much more difficult.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We had a franchise QB in Craig Morton ( a 1st round pick)who led us to our 1st Super Bowl with a seasoned playoff team and championship contender and turned out to be the 1st QB to start for 2 different teams (Denver) in a Super Bowl but Landry was looking for a spark to lead us to a championship. The rest is history..

Morton might have eventually broke thru. He was definitely good enough to contend but you should always be looking for more if they can’t get it done eventually if you believe the supporting cast is there.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He looked good against the giants without all those players in the game. But it was the giants that were less than motivated at that point in the season.
I disagree about the giants being unmotivated. They talk crap every game and was tying to win it.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Nah, he just a young QB developing. And his Oline has been horrid at pass blocking. Receivers were terrible before Cooper, coaching stinks. Not the recipe for consistency in any QB.

I would rather take a QB that comes up big in clutch moments and saves the day for his team and gets the win.

The team around him has gotten worse. Some people have a hard time understanding those dynamics.

Don't agree with all of this...

Dak is starting his 4th season. He's gonna be Dak at this point.

The OL is not Horrid at pass blocking.

Ever notice how its everyone else's fault that Dak stinks?

WRs, OL, coaches, Dez, the weather, the fans, etc. Etc.