Stephen: Wants Dak's deal done before season

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't agree with all of this...

Dak is starting his 4th season. He's gonna be Dak at this point.

The OL is not Horrid at pass blocking.

Ever notice how its everyone else's fault that Dak stinks?

WRs, OL, coaches, Dez, the weather, the fans, etc. Etc.

Ever notice how its always Daks fault and nothing to do with the Line, WR's, coaches? LOL

When Dak took us to the playoffs again and made the pro bowl is that Dak stinking? LOL

Im making a simple analysis. You Dak haters love to critique Dak for every little thing. But then you show no ability to critique anything else.

You just said the Oline wasnt horrid at pass blocking. Yet they were the 31st ranked pass blocking team in the NFL last year.

But let me guess, that was all Daks fault right? I always get kick out of haters turning a sack stat into a QB stat after 100 years of that being a Oline stat. Now Im perfectly capable of acknowledging that some of those are on the QB. But then he was only sacked 28 times in 2016 and 32 times in 2017. So did he forget how to avoid sacks or did the line just get bad at pass blocking? Simple analysis.

The difference between me and you is I critique all aspects of the team.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Don't agree with all of this...

Dak is starting his 4th season. He's gonna be Dak at this point.

The OL is not Horrid at pass blocking.

Ever notice how its everyone else's fault that Dak stinks?

WRs, OL, coaches, Dez, the weather, the fans, etc. Etc.

The idea that Dak can’t get better is ridiculous. Especially considering our outdated and old scheme.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Every notice how its always Daks fault and nothing to do with the Line, WR's, coaches? LOL

Quarterbacks typically get too much blame, and too much credit, for the team's wins and losses. It's a team game, some people forget that. Some want the quarterback to "make up for" shortcomings in receivers, play calling etc. And some can, no doubt about that. But those quarterbacks are rare, to me trying to find that "needle in a haystack" is not the way to go. We saw what happened when Roger had to retire, sure White did very well, but he didn't have the old Staubach magic, and the team had come to depend on Roger's running (much less than in his early years, of course) and his ability to "pull the fat out of the fire" wasn't there anymore. Result? Failure to get to the SB. Now of course it wasn't all Danny's fault, just as I said, it's a team game. But having a Staubach certainly improves your odds of getting to, and winning, SBs. If you can find one, great, but how likely is it?

The Cowboys have to decide - can Dak be good enough if he doesn't improve in the coming years? Can they manipulate the cap and keep key players around Dak so he can win? If they think the answer is yes, then by all means, sign the guy for a few years. NFL quarterback salaries, on the average, aren't going down, they're only going up.

In 1993 Aikman became the NFL's highest paid player. His contract? $50 mil for 8 years, a $6.25 mil a year average. That salary would be 28th in the league as of 2019.

Whatever Dak is paid, if he gets extended this year, undoubtedly will be a bargain if he goes on to greater success in the coming years. If he isn't signed and the team ends up winning a SB, getting to a SB, getting to the NFC championship, or even just winning one playoff game, you certainly won't be able to sign him for what you would offer this year, almost certainly there will be several NFL teams who would gladly pay more than the Cowboys offer would be this year for a quarterback with a proven record of WINNING, whether Dak has a great team around him or not.

I'm not advocating one course of action or another, just pointing out that waiting until next year may cost the Cowboys more than signing him now, or maybe not. The Cowboys have to decide that...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think we know what we have with Dak by now. And the problem is that what we have A. isn't that good (at least as not as good as 2016 made us initially think) and B. is still probably worth $25 million a season, because the NFL QB market is screwed.

He's not going to get cheaper if we wait till next year. I'd say just go ahead, avoid a D-Law situation, and sign the deal now.

You have proven wrong already. And there is no "we". Unless we means a handful of haters.

WE know that Dak is a great young franchise QB getting better and better.

3 winning seasons, two pro bowls, rookie of the year, two playoffs and one playoff win in only his first 3 years. Has led the NFL in late comebacks since he came into the league.

IF THAT equates to "not very good" to you then there is nothing left to say but you are horrid at analysis.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Quarterbacks typically get too much blame, and too much credit, for the team's wins and losses. It's a team game, some people forget that. Some want the quarterback to "make up for" shortcomings in receivers, play calling etc. And some can, no doubt about that. But those quarterbacks are rare, to me trying to find that "needle in a haystack" is not the way to go. We saw what happened when Roger had to retire, sure White did very well, but he didn't have the old Staubach magic, and the team had come to depend on Roger's running (much less than in his early years, of course) and his ability to "pull the fat out of the fire" wasn't there anymore. Result? Failure to get to the SB. Now of course it wasn't all Danny's fault, just as I said, it's a team game. But having a Staubach certainly improves your odds of getting to, and winning, SBs. If you can find one, great, but how likely is it?

The Cowboys have to decide - can Dak be good enough if he doesn't improve in the coming years? Can they manipulate the cap and keep key players around Dak so he can win? If they think the answer is yes, then by all means, sign the guy for a few years. NFL quarterback salaries, on the average, aren't going down, they're only going up.

In 1993 Aikman became the NFL's highest paid player. His contract? $50 mil for 8 years, a $6.25 mil a year average. That salary would be 28th in the league as of 2019.

Whatever Dak is paid, if he gets extended this year, undoubtedly will be a bargain if he goes on to greater success in the coming years. If he isn't signed and the team ends up winning a SB, getting to a SB, getting to the NFC championship, or even just winning one playoff game, you certainly won't be able to sign him for what you would offer this year, almost certainly there will be several NFL teams who would gladly pay more than the Cowboys offer would be this year for a quarterback with a proven record of WINNING, whether Dak has a great team around him or not.

I'm not advocating one course of action or another, just pointing out that waiting until next year may cost the Cowboys more than signing him now, or maybe not. The Cowboys have to decide that...

-why would Dak NOT get better?
-I think the Cowboys have already decided he is the THAT guy
-By simply improving the team around the QB, the QB gets better
-I completely agree that they need to pay Dak now
-Personally, I think the line having so many problems blocking the last two years have been great for Dak. Adversity is something he hadnt had in his career. It has forced him to get better at things he wasnt good at. He has had to develop his pocket game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The idea that Dak can’t get better is ridiculous. Especially considering our outdated and old scheme.

Its actually completely mindless to think a 3rd year QB cant get better. But these haters have been saying this kind of thing since his 2nd year. LOL

This is where the "hater" part comes in for me. Either someone really doesnt understand the game or they simply are soo blinded by hate they cant think straight.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Every quarterback has his ceiling. Dak may have reached his.

I don't think he has, but there's no guarantee of improvement....

The type of guy that he is and work ethic would indicate he will definitely improve. Then when you look at what he needs to work on (pocket game) and where he came from, its an easy analysis to see that he will most likely improve dramatically. If Dak had been a pocket passer all his life and it still needed work, then I would say no.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You have proven wrong already. And there is no "we". Unless we means a handful of haters.

WE know that Dak is a great young franchise QB getting better and better.

3 winning seasons, two pro bowls, rookie of the year, two playoffs and one playoff win in only his first 3 years. Has led the NFL in late comebacks since he came into the league.

IF THAT equates to "not very good" to you then there is nothing left to say but you are horrid at analysis.

Say it with me. Teams win games. Wins are not an individual stat.

MaaS

Reaction score
I think Byron and Zeke might not make it. Got to add Smith to that list.

Losing Smith would be a surprising. I don't see that happening, but who knows. Byron returning feels unlikely to me. Should be able to get the rest done.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Say it with me. Teams win games. Wins are not an individual stat.

Until is suits your agenda.

Do you think it says anything about the QB that his TEAM has NEVER had a losing record with him as QB?

Trolls are reaching now. All of a sudden, Pro bowls are a joke because Dak keeps going to them. LOL

Winning seasons mean nothing because its the TEAM that won. LOL

Sacks are now NOT an Oline stat they are a QB stat. But in 2016 and 2017 when the line only gave up 28 sacks and 32 sacks, it was a Oline stat.

Your agenda is showing.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Until is suits your agenda.

Do you think it says anything about the QB that his TEAM has NEVER had a losing record with him as QB?

Trolls are reaching now. All of a sudden, Pro bowls are a joke because Dak keeps going to them. LOL

Winning seasons mean nothing because its the TEAM that won. LOL

Sacks are now NOT an Oline stat they are a QB stat. But in 2016 and 2017 when the line only gave up 28 sacks and 32 sacks, it was a Oline stat.

Your agenda is showing.

Just for some perspective, Alex Smith had five straight winning seasons in Kansas City. He actually made two Pro Bowls in that stretch too. Are you going to say that Alex Smith was an elite QB?

Sacks can be caused by either the O line or the QB, it takes more nuance to determine the cause than looking at a volume stat.

Last edited:

zerofill

Reaction score
I would wait to sign him. Why not?

He isn't hurting for money... dude probably makes $10mil a year in endorsements, that are a direct result of being the Dallas Cowboy's QB.

So he isn't exactly hurting for money. I know some seem to think he might have to live in his car on his base salary, but that isn't the case lol.

If he wants to be too expensive after this season, then... 2020 draft, you have some great QBs coming up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just for some perspective, Alex Smith had five straight winning seasons in Kansas City. He actually made two Pro Bowls in that stretch too. Are you going to say that Alex Smith was an elite QB?

Sacks can be caused by either the O line or the QB, it takes more nuance to determine the cause than looking at a volume stat.

Are you suggesting that I am saying Dak is elite? Your Trolls always have to exaggerate to gain some kind of angle.

Did Alex Smith do all that in his first 3 years? Win rookie of the year?

Sacks given up are an Oline stat. That is a fact. Sacks can, however be caused by for different reasons such as coverage sacks, or yah the QB has some fault.

But without a doubt in Dak's case he gets out of as many sacks with his mobility as he causes himself.

Its also an easy analysis to see what has happened to the line if you follow the Cowboys at all. Frederick going down, Chaz Green in for Smith, rookie Williams having issues, Rookie and practice squad TE's blocking, ect....ect....

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that I am saying Dak is elite? Your Trolls always have to exaggerate to gain some kind of angle.

Did Alex Smith do all that in his first 3 years? Win rookie of the year?

Sacks given up are an Oline stat. That is a fact. Sacks can, however be caused by for different reasons such as coverage sacks, or yah the QB has some fault.

But without a doubt in Dak's case he gets out of as many sacks with his mobility as he causes himself.

Its also an easy analysis to see what has happened to the line if you follow the Cowboys at all. Frederick going down, Chaz Green in for Smith, rookie Williams having issues, Rookie and practice squad TE's blocking, ect....ect....

Dak didn't jump on to a 4-12 team either.

Fact is, after all the success Smith had, the league judged him to be worth about $24M a season because of what he showed on tape. When you break it down to individual play, he's a very average starter. Dak's the same way. If you're looking at the plus sides, I'd say he's more accurate than he's given credit for, has enough arm to hit every throw, is mobile enough to legitimately threaten defenses, and does a good job of going through his progressions and not locking onto one man. If you want to look at the downsides, I'd say he has very poor anticipation, struggles against zone, has bad footwork that creates several wild misses every game, and he's not comfortable stepping up to avoid sacks. So if you sum up his skillset and compare it to the rest of the league, I'd say he's somewhere in the 15-20 range among NFL QBs.

That's what teams are looking at. It's not how many games Dak and the other 52 players on the Cowboys roster won. It's not how many Pro Bowls Dak made as the third alternate. It's what Dak the individual player can and can't do for you moving forward, and how much money is that worth to you.

And as far as the OL, Dak's protection here has never been worse than league average and has usually been better. There's a shortage of OL talent across the NFL and most teams are in pretty dire straits.

jnday

Reaction score
Nah, he just a young QB developing. And his Oline has been horrid at pass blocking. Receivers were terrible before Cooper, coaching stinks. Not the recipe for consistency in any QB.

I would rather take a QB that comes up big in clutch moments and saves the day for his team and gets the win.

The team around him has gotten worse. Some people have a hard time understanding those dynamics.
I prefer QBs that are capable of avoiding those close games because he is capable of putting more points on the board by passing the ball. Another point, the offensive line does tend to look bad when the QB holds on to the ball much longer than he needs to.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I prefer QBs that are capable of avoiding those close games because he is capable of putting more points on the board by passing the ball. Another point, the offensive line does tend to look bad when the QB holds on to the ball much longer than he needs to.

Hopefully Moore's system will give Dak more confidence with his options at wr, te, rb's out wide.