Stephen's comments on Ferguson and Rapp

Bluefin

Reaction score
Whoa! Look at Rapp's placement on that SPARQ grid.
It's production and athleticism on the graph.

The horizontal line is the SPARQ scores, the vertical line is for college production points. It's designed to show which players were both productive and have the needed athleticism to play in the NFL.

The top right quadrant (A) contains the players who made a lot of plays in college and have desired athleticism.

The lower right quadrant (B) contains players with plus athletism but whose production wasn't where you'd expect.

The top left quadrant (C) contains productive players who don't have plus athleticism.

The lower left quadrant (D) contains the players who lacked college production and also don't have plus athleticism.

Taylor Rapp is in some bad company with the "D" crowd, but he passes the eye test with scouts. The above graph isn't an absolute, it's just something to consider in the evaluation process. I couldn't care less about Rapp's 40 time, it's of absolutely no consequence to me. His agility scores (shuttle, 3 cone) are very good, better than Juan Thornhill's, in fact.

The lack of production, however, does give some pause. Rapp (9.2) is almost two points below the desired threshold of 11.

Still, I'll be grinning ear to ear if he come away with Thornhill or Rapp come Friday night.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

The horizontal line is the SPARQ scores, the vertical line is for college production points. It's designed to show which players were both productive and have the needed athleticism to play in the NFL.

The top right quadrant (A) contains the players who made a lot of plays in college and have desired athleticism.

The lower right quadrant (B) contains players with plus athletism but whose production wasn't where you'd expect.

The top left quadrant (C) contains productive players who don't have plus athleticism.

The lower left quadrant (D) contains the players who lacked college production and also don't have plus athleticism.

Taylor Rapp is in some bad company with the "D" crowd, but he passes the eye test with scouts. The above graph isn't an absolute, it's just something to consider in the evaluation process. I couldn't care less about Rapp's 40 time, it's of absolutely no consequence to me. His agility scores (shuttle, 3 cone) are very good, better than Juan Thornhill's, in fact.

The lack of production, however, does give some pause. Rapp (9.2) is almost two points below the desired threshold of 11.

Still, I'll be grinning ear to ear if he come away with Thornhill or Rapp come Friday night.

Good post!

Bluefin

Reaction score
Finding the superior athlete: SPARQ safeties in the 2019 NFL Draft

Production: For safeties, 11.0 or more production points indicate a strong track record of college production, and anything above 14.0 is exceptional.

Athleticism: Moving on to SPARQ, our list of safeties is reduced from 22 to 20 players, as there is no Sparq data available for Deionte Thompson and JoJo McIntosch’s production is simply too low for me to bother changing the scales on the graph.

The graph below provides a visual representation of what happens when we plot production points against the SPARQ score for the 2019 safety class.

s_2019.jpg

from the same story...

s_2019_hist.jpg

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I guess the chubby dummy failed to acknowledge that one was from a real conference and one was not. It is great to say you go off tape. It is another deal to admit what you are watching the player do against whom if you want to ignore glaring athletic red flags.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Notice the lack of any detail. Just the generic "film is important" mantra he's heard real scouts talk about.

Our Director of Personnel.

ESisback

Reaction score
Notice the lack of any detail. Just the generic "film is important" mantra he's heard real scouts talk about.

Generic, vanilla talk, designed to NOT reveal a lean. Right?

Alexander

Reaction score

Film is important. Perspective is even more important.

I don't think he has watched any more than his father did.

But hey, it is a "collective" decision.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

I entrust this kind of analysis to you very good folk.
I'm just a simple story-teller. Right-brained and semi-addled.

You and several others like @percyhoward @xwalker @LatinMind @Kaiser @stasheroo give me the thorough cliff notes to understand this team and the game better.
Thank you all.

Edit: And @Alexander

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Film is important. Perspective is even more important.

I don't think he has watched any more than his father did.

But hey, it is a "collective" decision.

I'd love to know the answer to that. How much film do those two actually watch? I believe it's only whatever's being viewed during meetings with the scouts. I don't think Frick or Frack spend a single second actually working in personnel. They sit in on meetings to feel important.

Alexander

Reaction score
I'd love to know the answer to that. How much film do those two actually watch? I believe it's only whatever's being viewed during meetings with the scouts. I don't think Frick or Frack spend a single second actually working in personnel. They sit in on meetings to feel important.
Well, they are exactly what you would expect.

They are "executives" and they are to be briefed.

They probably are active participants even though they are of course "very busy" as all people of their stature are.

Then when the **** hits the fan, they turn to some underling and go, what should I do?

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
My God, please make this madness stop.

The Cowboys are one of the more transparent franchises in the NFL.

And they like it that way.

Just stop it with the "we are tricky" talk.

We couldn't be clever and secretive if we tried.

And yet you can't predict the draft picks, the free agent signings, the Amari Cooper trade...

You just follow Cowboys news closer than other teams so you have a good idea what they'll probably do. You done fooled yourself with a sample bias.