Still have the same weaknesses

Kwyn

Reaction score
im very happy. ii watch games for excitement and also to scout. I look for improvement . what causes us to lose? have we worked on it?
Interested in your “scouting method”.

Also, how do you determine if we have “worked on it”?

Are you devoting hours of film study every week or are you just watching the game like the rest of us?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
every playoff game, we struggle to catch passes in traffic. even today lamb alligator armed a pass over the middle. as great as lamb is, we re missing a dez or Witten who can dominate in tight coverage. im hoping Tolbert can become that or maybe Ferguson
Panther defenders got away with holding all game

Kwyn

Reaction score
The only problem I had with the receivers is Tolbert getting locked up by Hill. Tolbert has got to beat the 3rd cornerback.
Tolbert is our fourth WR. Other teams have NFL level talent on their rosters. You can’t expect domination across the board.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Tolbert is our fourth WR. Other teams have NFL level talent on their rosters. You can’t expect domination across the board.
You are right but everyone seems to think Tolbert should be the 3rd receiver over Gallup. Here is his chance.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
The good thing is we are going to know who this team is or isn't in the next 3 week.

Kwyn

Reaction score
As I recall, the "weaknesses" at the beginning of the season included Dak's INT's, a lack of viable receivers other than Lamb, poor LB play, injuries to the O-line starters, no effective 2nd RB, and uncertainty at the kicker position.

Since these have been mostly resolved, we now have new "weaknesses" like "can't beat a winning team" which was thoroughly tested by a total of 2 games this season.

Apparently the prediction here is for the Cowboys to go 2-5 for the remainder of the season and finish 9-8. I just don't see it.
A great summary of how revisionist history is alive and well at the Zone.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Who are the better NFL teams remaining on our schedule that pose a threat to us ..??

11Nov. 19@Carolina PanthersNoon
12Nov. 23vsWashington Commanders (Thu)3:30 pm
13Nov. 30vsSeattle Seahawks (TNF)7:15 p,m,
14Dec. 10vsPhiladelphia Eagles (SNF)7:20 p.m.
15Dec. 17atBuffalo Bills3:25 p.m.
16Dec. 24atMiami Dolphins3:25 p.m.
17Dec. 30vsDetroit Lions (Saturday – ESPN)7:15 p.m.
18Jan. 6/7atWashington CommandersTBD
Umm, weeks 13-17 looks pretty hairy.

plasticman

Reaction score
A great summary of how revisionist history is alive and well at the Zone.
I never said ALL the weaknesses. I just wanted to point out that some of those weaknesses have been resolved.

Which of those weaknesses were not an issue? What have I revised?

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
every playoff game, we struggle to catch passes in traffic. even today lamb alligator armed a pass over the middle. as great as lamb is, we re missing a dez or Witten who can dominate in tight coverage. im hoping Tolbert can become that or maybe Ferguson
Your crazy

Kwyn

Reaction score
I never said ALL the weaknesses. I just wanted to point out that some of those weaknesses have been resolved.

Which of those weaknesses were not an issue? What have I revised?
I wasn’t disagreeing with you. To the contrary.

The ever shifting goalposts here at the Zone are as predictable as the sunrise.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
After watching the Eagles/Chiefs game I will never complain about our receivers again. What is it with ex Rodger’s receivers. They can’t catch a cold.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And look at the teams we play after Thanksgiving. We are going to be tested. I like it. If we can’t beat out these teams then we are one and done in the playoffs.. Our O-line did better in some ways but I saw Martin get beat on a few times this game.. Was eye opening. And it seemed we tried some things like the wildcat that failed during this game. Dak threw more and we ran less. About 38 pass and 20 runs. We need to run a bigger back early like Dowdle but I am guessing JJ is wanting his 10 million dollar RB on the field..
I don't believe that for a minute I still think the playoffs are a second season and have nothing to do with the regular season you just need to get in and you can have a little luck go along the way like Philadelphia Eagles had last year but we've seen plenty of wild card teams that didn't play well and then jump into the dance and get on a hot streak..

It's nice for the team the players the coaches the media and the fans the feel good if we beat those teams because it just gives you a sense of accomplishment and confidence however I don't believe it has anything to do with the playoffs it's not an extension of how you play in the regular season in my opinion it never really has been you need to win enough games to get into the playoffs if you get into the playoffs healthy everyone has an equal shot especially this year I mean you look at the chiefs the Eagles and some of the other favorites I don't see any of them playing at A championship level right now they've had a lot of bounces go their way especially the Eagles I mean dude they're the luckiest team in the NFL and I know you can make your own luck but they play bad and win yes they have more wins against better teams but your luck can run out in the playoffs they are turning the ball over other teams are dropping passes they're doing the same things our team has done to lose some of these games so I don't see that they're any better than us except their record,,

my philosophy is get into the playoffs any way possible be healthy and anything can happen everybody who thinks you can judge what's gonna happen in the playoffs off the regular season wins or losses are really not paying attention to how it works in the NFL... Yes home field seatings and that gives you a leg up because you get to play at home throughout but that doesn't matter to me because it still gives you a shot as a wild card team to go in and beat them... The giants did it twice.. Were they nine and seven both those times or were they eight and eight I remember some of those it took the last game of the season for them to get in and then they got hot and got on a run with a team very much built like the Dallas Cowboys are right now...​

So we're gonna have differences of opinions here on what these games mean coming down the road that we have to beat you know Miami and the lions and Buffalo and the Eagles but I say you just need to win enough of those games to get you in the playoffs and have some confidence but losing to those teams do not make it an automatic one and done that's ridiculous you can't call when the game is gonna go like two months from now...

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't believe that for a minute I still think the playoffs are a second season and have nothing to do with the regular season you just need to get in and you can have a little luck go along the way like Philadelphia Eagles had last year but we've seen plenty of wild card teams that didn't play well and then jump into the dance and get on a hot streak..

It's nice for the team the players the coaches the media and the fans the feel good if we beat those teams because it just gives you a sense of accomplishment and confidence however I don't believe it has anything to do with the playoffs it's not an extension of how you play in the regular season in my opinion it never really has been you need to win enough games to get into the playoffs if you get into the playoffs healthy everyone has an equal shot especially this year I mean you look at the chiefs the Eagles and some of the other favorites I don't see any of them playing at A championship level right now they've had a lot of bounces go their way especially the Eagles I mean dude they're the luckiest team in the NFL and I know you can make your own luck but they play bad and win yes they have more wins against better teams but your luck can run out in the playoffs they are turning the ball over other teams are dropping passes they're doing the same things our team has done to lose some of these games so I don't see that they're any better than us except their record,,

my philosophy is get into the playoffs any way possible be healthy and anything can happen everybody who thinks you can judge what's gonna happen in the playoffs off the regular season wins or losses are really not paying attention to how it works in the NFL... Yes home field seatings and that gives you a leg up because you get to play at home throughout but that doesn't matter to me because it still gives you a shot as a wild card team to go in and beat them... The giants did it twice.. Were they nine and seven both those times or were they eight and eight I remember some of those it took the last game of the season for them to get in and then they got hot and got on a run with a team very much built like the Dallas Cowboys are right now...​

So we're gonna have differences of opinions here on what these games mean coming down the road that we have to beat you know Miami and the lions and Buffalo and the Eagles but I say you just need to win enough of those games to get you in the playoffs and have some confidence but losing to those teams do not make it an automatic one and done that's ridiculous you can't call when the game is gonna go like two months from now...
I can’t disagree with you. If we limp in injured it will be very rough to win a game. When you get in healthy you have a much better chance. And I also think that when you make the playoffs because the talent is more even that coaching comes into play. We need a game plan to exploit there weakness. Control the trenches and ball and you control clock and the game. We need to work on red zone Offense. Still not figuring out why we aren’t seeing Luepke. Must be something up there. But I don’t care if we go in as a wildcard. Some want to see us play egirls and not niners. We have to beat the team in front of us who ever it is. The media is spouting how we are only beating teams that are .500 and under. We did not make the schedule. We just play it.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
You are so right OP, I remember Dez and Witten were unstoppable in the playoffs.:rolleyes:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I can’t disagree with you. If we limp in injured it will be very rough to win a game. When you get in healthy you have a much better chance. And I also think that when you make the playoffs because the talent is more even that coaching comes into play. We need a game plan to exploit there weakness. Control the trenches and ball and you control clock and the game. We need to work on red zone Offense. Still not figuring out why we aren’t seeing Luepke. Must be something up there. But I don’t care if we go in as a wildcard. Some want to see us play egirls and not niners. We have to beat the team in front of us who ever it is. The media is spouting how we are only beating teams that are .500 and under. We did not make the schedule. We just play it.
I think more to my point is you don't need to be on a hot streak or be playing your best football to end the season in the regular season in order to have success in the playoffs that's an old narrative that's been busted I mean you look at the Cowboys look at 2016 did that help them then they win 11 games in a row?? And the fact is when you're 12 and five and back-to-back years isn't that playing well going into the playoffs I mean I know it isn't big momentum when you lose the last game of the season but OK let's take that out of the equation Tampa Bay we just destroyed them in the wild card game I mean literally couldn't have played better outside of Brett Maher but then the next week come out play flat sometimes it's just your opponent they just are better than you and when you make those kind of mistakes like we have in 2021 we had 14 penalties that pretty much was the game right there I don't people are gonna point out all these other things but you cannot have 14 penalties against the 49ers then you have 2022 and just make far too many mistakes and leave opportunities on the field you know like Trayvon diggs dropping his share interception you have Trayvon diggs not blowing up kittles I would rather have taken a penalty there don't let him catch that football I mean lay into him with full shoulder do something I don't care if you're ejected from the game if you wanna win a game you gotta make every play available on the field in order to win and the small mistakes over an entire game have been having us lose the game to the better team they have been the better team and you can't make those mistakes all game and expect to win had nothing to do with the last play of the game in both those games it was over by then...

So just like the regular season we call it week to week when you get into the playoffs it's 0-0 in his how you play that day is all that affects that game and yes being healthy would be the biggest thing and last year losing Terrence steel and having a lot of injuries down the stretch it didn't help and then we lost Pollard in the first half not that we would have won but all those little things add up...

We lost the Eagles game a couple weeks back because of the little things it's an inch and a toe here or there that loses you a game..

So back to the point in summary it doesn't matter how you play in the regular season and how you may have won or lost to the better opponents all that matters is you get into the playoffs and find ways to win I don't think they're connected at all that's why it's called the new season the whole momentum thing rolling in I've already seen it by other teams it doesn't help... And I didn't know sprinkle of luck like you had with the Eagles yes there are very good team but they only had to play the giants in the next week a 49ers team without a quarterback I mean that's what you call luck I mean you gotta have that good luck we've been having a lot of that bad luck... One of these days that's gonna change...

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think more to my point is you don't need to be on a hot streak or be playing your best football to end the season in the regular season in order to have success in the playoffs that's an old narrative that's been busted I mean you look at the Cowboys look at 2016 did that help them then they win 11 games in a row?? And the fact is when you're 12 and five and back-to-back years isn't that playing well going into the playoffs I mean I know it isn't big momentum when you lose the last game of the season but OK let's take that out of the equation Tampa Bay we just destroyed them in the wild card game I mean literally couldn't have played better outside of Brett Maher but then the next week come out play flat sometimes it's just your opponent they just are better than you and when you make those kind of mistakes like we have in 2021 we had 14 penalties that pretty much was the game right there I don't people are gonna point out all these other things but you cannot have 14 penalties against the 49ers then you have 2022 and just make far too many mistakes and leave opportunities on the field you know like Trayvon diggs dropping his share interception you have Trayvon diggs not blowing up kittles I would rather have taken a penalty there don't let him catch that football I mean lay into him with full shoulder do something I don't care if you're ejected from the game if you wanna win a game you gotta make every play available on the field in order to win and the small mistakes over an entire game have been having us lose the game to the better team they have been the better team and you can't make those mistakes all game and expect to win had nothing to do with the last play of the game in both those games it was over by then...

So just like the regular season we call it week to week when you get into the playoffs it's 0-0 in his how you play that day is all that affects that game and yes being healthy would be the biggest thing and last year losing Terrence steel and having a lot of injuries down the stretch it didn't help and then we lost Pollard in the first half not that we would have won but all those little things add up...

We lost the Eagles game a couple weeks back because of the little things it's an inch and a toe here or there that loses you a game..

So back to the point in summary it doesn't matter how you play in the regular season and how you may have won or lost to the better opponents all that matters is you get into the playoffs and find ways to win I don't think they're connected at all that's why it's called the new season the whole momentum thing rolling in I've already seen it by other teams it doesn't help... And I didn't know sprinkle of luck like you had with the Eagles yes there are very good team but they only had to play the giants in the next week a 49ers team without a quarterback I mean that's what you call luck I mean you gotta have that good luck we've been having a lot of that bad luck... One of these days that's gonna change...
Also along with the little mistakes that add up we had those penalties. I am not a conspiracy guy but egirls get so lucky. Yeah when we played the we both had like 10 penalties but timing of them and the ones they don’t call that hurt. The last play that came up short he was being tackled WAY before the ball got to his hands. They called it a TD and I thought the flag was coming out and we would decline. But it wasn’t a TD and should have been 1st and goal at the 3 inch line. With 1 second left. Now the way we have been playing red zone it’s not a guarantee we get it in but should have had the opportunity…

Beaker42

Reaction score
At least we don’t have the Chiefs’ WR’s.

Beaker42

Reaction score
When I saw the title description of this thread ... I assume it was regarding our lapses vs the run with Carolina.

:confused:
Yeah, that’s the one thing DQ hasn’t been able to remedy - I’m sure he’s diagnosed it as having subpar DT play.