Still not excited about Crayton.....

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I know we have a love fest going on right now with this guy, or our young WRs in general, but hear me out.

I don't think we should overestimate the WRs we have right now. Sure, they are adequate with TO and Witten on the field, but they aren't our future #1 WRs. Crayton had a huge game against Lenny Walls (an undrafted FA with 1 interception in his 6 year career) in one on one coverage, while the D was concentrating on TO and Witten. Crayton has done very little up to this point this year, heck Kevin Curtis did better last week with no help, and noone would want him as a #1. I am happy for Crayton, but concerned we are overrating him and underating our need for a #1 WR.

I believe that you can get possession WRs later in the draft (such as Crayton), which is why I always thought Keyshawn going so high was just stupid. But speed is a totally different thing. Speed may bust as we know, but you aren't getting a true speedy deep threat WR (with talent unlike Randal Williams) in the 7th round or as a free agent.

Speed with talent goes high. There is a reason why such guys as Glenn and Galloway went so high, when you have talent AND speed, you will go high. Sure it can still be a bust, such as Lelie, but a deep threat will come at a high price.

I hope Glenn can come back and patch this problem for us, but it is naive to think that our long term WR needs have been met in any way at all with a 7th rounder and 2 undrafted guys. Sure we hit the lottery with an undrafted QB, but that did take a decade to happen plus it is a totally different position. It will take a while to develop this WR, and we need him in here as soon as possible, unless we can get a good one through free agency (the Roy Williams WR dream).

I can deal with having Fergy, Ratliff, and hopefully Tank next year as our NTs. I can deal with having TNew and Henry for a while longer as our CBs cause they are still not real advanced in age. As much as I love McFadden, with the Browns looking ok, it might be out of our range (although if available, take McFadden no questions asked). We do need 2 RBs (as I don't think MBIII can carry a full load long term by himself with his style), we only need a slight upgrade or JJ himself to accomplish this goal.

But Owens and Glenn are MUCH older, and we need a future there as soon as possible, and this starts with a true young talented deep threat that can go along with TO. I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of possession WRs that always make Romo have to fit the ball in tight spots. We need someone who can stretch the D long term, a young real playmaker on offense that will also make things easier on TO and Witten, not the other way around.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Some of the all time greats did not have great speed. Crayton knows how to run great routs and gets open that is what matters not how fast you can run.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1680355 said:
Some of the all time greats did not have great speed. Crayton knows how to run great routs and gets open that is what matters not how fast you can run.

Irvin lacked speed and he is a HoFer. Of course, he was big and very strong. Something Crayton lacks. I still say Crayton is a #3 receiver and will never make a good #2. The Cowboys exposed Lenny Walls for what he is. Below average CB that shouldn't be anything more than a nickle/dime back.

At this point right now, receiver and RB should be high on the list during the next draft. I believe it is extremely important to have a receiver that demands double teams. When I say that I'm NOT talking about Terry Glenn, I'm talking about a TO type receiver. A good offense line can make your running game look good. We have that, if I couldn't get McFadden, I would look receiver.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1680351 said:
I know we have a love fest going on right now with this guy, or our young WRs in general, but hear me out.

I don't think we should overestimate the WRs we have right now. Sure, they are adequate with TO and Witten on the field, but they aren't our future #1 WRs. Crayton had a huge game against Lenny Walls (an undrafted FA with 1 interception in his 6 year career) in one on one coverage, while the D was concentrating on TO and Witten. Crayton has done very little up to this point this year, heck Kevin Curtis did better last week with no help, and noone would want him as a #1. I am happy for Crayton, but concerned we are overrating him and underating our need for a #1 WR.

I believe that you can get possession WRs later in the draft (such as Crayton), which is why I always thought Keyshawn going so high was just stupid. But speed is a totally different thing. Speed may bust as we know, but you aren't getting a true speedy deep threat WR (with talent unlike Randal Williams) in the 7th round or as a free agent.

Speed with talent goes high. There is a reason why such guys as Glenn and Galloway went so high, when you have talent AND speed, you will go high. Sure it can still be a bust, such as Lelie, but a deep threat will come at a high price.

I hope Glenn can come back and patch this problem for us, but it is naive to think that our long term WR needs have been met in any way at all with a 7th rounder and 2 undrafted guys. Sure we hit the lottery with an undrafted QB, but that did take a decade to happen plus it is a totally different position. It will take a while to develop this WR, and we need him in here as soon as possible, unless we can get a good one through free agency (the Roy Williams WR dream).

I can deal with having Fergy, Ratliff, and hopefully Tank next year as our NTs. I can deal with having TNew and Henry for a while longer as our CBs cause they are still not real advanced in age. As much as I love McFadden, with the Browns looking ok, it might be out of our range (although if available, take McFadden no questions asked). We do need 2 RBs (as I don't think MBIII can carry a full load long term by himself with his style), we only need a slight upgrade or JJ himself to accomplish this goal.

But Owens and Glenn are MUCH older, and we need a future there as soon as possible, and this starts with a true young talented deep threat that can go along with TO. I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of possession WRs that always make Romo have to fit the ball in tight spots. We need someone who can stretch the D long term, a young real playmaker on offense that will also make things easier on TO and Witten, not the other way around.
amen brother...amen....not knocking Crayton...but for us to play with the big dogs this year, we are going to need a serviceable Terry Glenn....not saying we cannot make the playoffs or maybe even win a game...but you put a Terry Glenn on the other side at 85%....and move Crayton back where he belongs and our chances go through the roof. Not to say we will score anymore...but Romo is HAVING to make so many plays...he is playing OUT OF HIS MIND....our team will much fresher and much ready for a December push if Glenn can make the lives of TO, the OL and Romo easier

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1680355 said:

All of them had compliments. Irvin wasn't fast, but we always made sure to get speed on the other side of him. TO is special cause he can be both an underneath threat and deep threat. Moss is probably the greatest deep threat the league has ever seen, but he needs someone to work underneath him.

He had 6 catches for 78 yards total in the 3 games before. One game, one on one with a scrub CB doesn't make him our next superstar. The advanced age of TO and Glenn just can't be ignored. Crayton gets open cause he isn't a focal point, simple as that.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Including punt returns, Crayton had something like 230 total yards. He singlehandedly produced more than several entire teams did on Sunday.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;1680380 said:
Irvin lacked speed and he is a HoFer. Of course, he was big and very strong. Something Crayton lacks. I still say Crayton is a #3 receiver and will never make a good #2. The Cowboys exposed Lenny Walls for what he is. Below average CB that shouldn't be anything more than a nickle/dime back.

I disagree and he already is the #2 WR on this team right now. I think Crayton is very capable of getting the job done. Running great routs and knowing how to get seperation coming out of the break is the key for many WR who are not known as big speed guys.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Man, I don't know what it takes for a guy to watch the success we are having and just enjoy it. Whatever that magical elixir may be, you need to take a double dose of it. Kevin Curtis? Are you ****** kidding me? The guy shows up for one gameout of four and you're sitting there saying "well, atleast Kevin Curtis........".

Crayton proved that he can handle the load when teams double up on Owens all game (which the Rams did religiously yesterday). It doesn't matter who was covering Crayton. The kid got the job done! No one ever annointed Crayton as the next Jerry Rice or the next Terry Glenn even. He doesn't need to be!

Speed this, speed that my ***. The kid has had the best hands on the team (regardless of the drop last week) since he suited up for a regular season contest in Dallas. He has shown a knack for finding the soft spot in the defense and making plays. Yet, you can't seem to wait to get rid of the guy. Un-******-real.
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Crayton ONLY produced the second best WR performance in team history. We need Glenn back to fix this, right now!"

:rolleyes:

SS

:star:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1680393 said:
Including punt returns, Crayton had something like 230 total yards. He singlehandedly produced more than several entire teams did on Sunday.

So did Kevin Curtis the previous week. I know I don't want Curtis as a #1.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1680394 said:
I disagree and he already is the #2 WR on this team right now. I think Crayton is very capable of getting the job done. Running great routs and knowing how to get seperation coming out of the break is the key for many WR who are not known as big speed guys.

That doesn't make him dominate. I believe you have to have more than just one skill. Route running can make up for lack of speed, but you have to have strength to out mucsle the great CB because they will stick to you on those great routes. What makes Terry Glenn good is the fact that he has speed and runs great routes. Remove one of those and he is average at best.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Crayton just proves how badly fans overrate the WR position. (Look no further on overrating the WR position than the claims that losing Terry Glenn was going to singlehandedly sink our entire offense).

When you have a great OL and QB, WR's just kind of fall into place. The Colts lost Marvin Harrison yesterday early in the game, and Manning didn't miss a beat against what is believed to be the the best secondary in the NFL.

Crayton is on pace for a 1,000+ yard season, despite being the 3rd option for the passing game. And for someone who supposedly doesn't have any speed, he has an exceptional yards per catch average for his career at 15+. He's currently over 20 ypc this year. You guys keep the stop watches. I'll take production on the football field.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deep_Freeze;1680351 said:
I can deal with having Fergy, Ratliff, and hopefully Tank next year as our NTs.
Off topic I know, but Ferg is likely done here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;1680402 said:
That doesn't make him dominate. I believe you have to have more than just one skill. Route running can make up for lack of speed, but you have to have strength to out mucsle the great CB because they will stick to you on those great routes. What makes Terry Glenn good is the fact that he has speed and runs great routes. Remove one of those and he is average at best.

Your entitled to your opinion I think Crayton is very capable of doing the job and if you want to belittle him that is fine with me I just disagree that Crayton can do the job and have watched Pro Football long enough to know that speed is not what it is all about Crayton has great hands had decent hieght and can get open and make the catches. Crayton is not small nor he is slow he may not be as fast but he is fast enough to take it to the house. This is not track and field it is football and Crayton brings enough to the table to do the job.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
well i'm a crayton homer so maybe i'll just see it differnetly. no, i don't think he's a #1 in waiting. maybe he could be but i don't think so. i do think he can be a good #2 and certainly he earned the best #3 in the league last year on his own so we know we've got that covered.

speed is but one aspect but yes, a good one alexander wright had all the speed in the world as did many other "speed" guys we've brought in over the years. to date our best #1 in cowboys history is irvin (to me anyway) and was irvin ever known for speed? nope. so there must be other factors that can and will come into play.

i do agree with you in that it could be possible glenn is done. we don't seem to miss him right now and that's a blessing we may not recognize fully but it does bode well for our O and other WRs stepping up.

all that said, we've got 2 #1's in this draft and we've got a lot of areas who could use the love. some would say mcfadden is worth both 1's and maybe he is. i'd not do it but my choices only pan out 1/2 the time at best so i quit listening to me.

i'd like to see us get another back to replace JJones who will likely be gone and i'd like us to look at WRs and possibly CBs and definately NT.

if we get turner from SD, then i could see NT being our hole we need to look at due to fergie being the old dude that he is. reeves is coming on fine and maybe CB isn't the bonfire it looked to be a few weeks ago. after the giants game we were all freaking out. we're settling down now and that's a good thing.

but what we'll need in the draft we can't be too sure of just yet but i would have WR on the list to watch out for, yes.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
skinsscalper;1680400 said:
Man, I don't know what it takes for a guy to watch the success we are having and just enjoy it. Whatever that magical elixir may be, you need to take a double dose of it. Kevin Curtis? Are you ****** kidding me? The guy shows up for one gameout of four and you're sitting there saying "well, atleast Kevin Curtis........".

Crayton proved that he can handle the load when teams double up on Owens all game (which the Rams did religiously yesterday). It doesn't matter who was covering Crayton. The kid got the job done! No one ever annointed Crayton as the next Jerry Rice or the next Terry Glenn even. He doesn't need to be!

Speed this, speed that my ***. The kid has had the best hands on the team (regardless of the drop last week) since he suited up for a regular season contest in Dallas. He has shown a knack for finding the soft spot in the defense and making plays. Yet, you can't seem to wait to get rid of the guy. Un-******-real.
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Crayton ONLY produced the second best WR performance in team history. We need Glenn back to fix this, right now!"

SS

Figured I would get a response like this, lol. I hope you read my post without getting defensive about the guy. I like Crayton, but I just don't see him, or any other young WR on our roster as being our future #1. At the advanced ages of TO and Glenn, that is something that needs to be addressed very soon.

Living in the present can be short sighted. While Crayton played good as a fill in, I don't think we should overreact to it, like you overreacted to my post, lol. I don't think he is any better today than he was the 3 previous games were he wasn't much of a presence at all.

thewireman

Reaction score
skinsscalper;1680400 said:

SS

Word:bow:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
In that I still think we should spend one of our first round picks on a WR, I agree.

Early Doucet.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1680401 said:
So did Kevin Curtis the previous week. I know I don't want Curtis as a #1.

Who ever said anything about Patrick Crayton being our #1 WR. Our #1 WR right now is Terrell Owens. And he doesn't show any signs of slowing down anytime soon.