Still not excited about Crayton.....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1680411 said:
Crayton just proves how badly fans overrate the WR position. When you have a great OL and QB, WR's just kind of fall into place. The Colts lost Marvin Harrison yesterday, and Manning didn't miss a beat.

Crayton is on pace for a 1,000+ yard season. And for someone who supposedly doesn't have any speed, he has an extremely good yards per catch average for his career. He's currently over 20 ypc this year.

You guys keep the stop watches. I'll take production on the football field.

I think you underrate what a great receiver can do. Point in case, all the 3rd conversions TO has made this season among other big plays. I doubt Crayton could do that when almost consistently double teamed as TO has been. Irvin was the same way. Everyone knew it was going to Irvin and they couldn't stop it. Crayton would get shutdown, because is just isn't that dominating. As for Crayton and a 1,000 yard season. When you have a 184 yard game in game 4, it can skews the stats a bit early on. :rolleyes:

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Crayton runs good routes and has great hands. Plus, he is competitive. He is currently a serviceable starter in the NFL. in 1995, Kevin Williams was nothing special at WR, but he was capable of making teams pay if they over compensated to cover Irvin and Novacek. Crayton has the ability and is playing that role now.

That is not to say we don't need Glenn. He will make the offense even more dangerous. Also, we have to address age at the WR position soon. We do have an intriguing prospect in Stanback.

All in all, Crayton is doing a fine job so far.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1680423 said:
Figured I would get a response like this, lol. I hope you read my post without getting defensive about the guy. I like Crayton, but I just don't see him, or any other young WR on our roster as being our future #1. At the advanced ages of TO and Glenn, that is something that needs to be addressed very soon.

Living in the present can be short sighted. While Crayton played good as a fill in, I don't think we should overreact to it, like you overreacted to my post, lol. I don't think he is any better today than he was the 3 previous games were he wasn't much of a presence at all.

He wasn't much of a presence the first few games because Terrell Owens and Jason Witten were both running almost uncovered all over the field.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
iceberg;1680419 said:
if we get turner from SD, then i could see NT being our hole we need to look at due to fergie being the old dude that he is. reeves is coming on fine and maybe CB isn't the bonfire it looked to be a few weeks ago. after the giants game we were all freaking out. we're settling down now and that's a good thing.

but what we'll need in the draft we can't be too sure of just yet but i would have WR on the list to watch out for, yes.

Glenn and TO are both older than Fergy and they are both older than TNew or Henry for that matter.

I do understand what you are saying though, I am happy for Crayton, but my point is his performance still didn't change my thoughts on him for our future. He has been exactly what I thought he would be, if he has a good matchup one on one, he will be solid. But if the defense ever even thinks of rolling coverage over on him, he will be eliminated immediately.

Right now, we have TO, so we don't have to worry about people concentrating on Crayton. But at TO's age, that won't always be the case. I believe the most Crayton can be is maybe a #2, but the #1 beside him would have to demand the attention that TO does. You can count those guys on a few fingers that can do that.

Only reason Crayton can fill in at #2 at the moment is cause of Witten, and especially TO. The point is, TO isn't young anymore, and we do need a future there.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1680468 said:
Glenn and TO are both older than Fergy and they are both older than TNew or Henry for that matter.

I do understand what you are saying though, I am happy for Crayton, but my point is his performance still didn't change my thoughts on him for our future. He has been exactly what I thought he would be, if he has a good matchup one on one, he will be solid. But if the defense ever even thinks of rolling coverage over on him, he will be eliminated immediately.

Right now, we have TO, so we don't have to worry about people concentrating on Crayton. But at TO's age, that won't always be the case. I believe the most Crayton can be is maybe a #2, but the #1 beside him would have to demand the attention that TO does. You can count those guys on a few fingers that can do that.

Only reason Crayton can fill in at #2 at the moment is cause of Witten, and especially TO. The point is, TO isn't young anymore, and we do need a future there.

the real question is how many years can we get out of TO? if he can go 2-3 more years at this level, having another #1 in the wings i'd consider a luxury more than a necessity.

the bigger point you show is glenn is likely done, even if he can make it back he'll never be the same, i don't think. so if we draft someone in the 1st/2nd round, it's likely glenn will be the one to go and he can retire.

i don't see it as immediately pressing but i can see where it could be based on several factors and if a prime WR is there with our 1st #1 pick, take him.

i'd not cry at all.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1680423 said:
Figured I would get a response like this, lol. I hope you read my post without getting defensive about the guy. I like Crayton, but I just don't see him, or any other young WR on our roster as being our future #1. At the advanced ages of TO and Glenn, that is something that needs to be addressed very soon.

Living in the present can be short sighted. While Crayton played good as a fill in, I don't think we should overreact to it, like you overreacted to my post, lol. I don't think he is any better today than he was the 3 previous games were he wasn't much of a presence at all.

Who said anything about our future #1? He doesn't NEED to be our #1. We HAVE a #1. Will we need to draft for our future #1? Of course, but it's no reason to toss Crayton into the trash heap. As great as you think Terry Glenn might be (I'm a fan of Glenn's also), he's never even come close to the performance that Crayton put on yesterday. Not even close. BTW Glennhas played against a few crapper CBs in his career, too. Google away and see if you can find ONE GAME that Glenn put up those numbers in his ENTIRE CAREER.

I agree with you on one thing, Crayton isn't any better now than he was the previously. The difference, now, is he's been given opportunities. He capitalized big time, considering he had more yardage than the entire Rams offense.

Romo won't look for Crayton when TO is butchering the opposing D (why would he?). But, when TO is being doubled all game to limit his effectiveness (which he was yesterday) all we need is a guy to step up and make a play or two. Crayton served well in that capacity (which is exactly what a good #2 WR does). The Rams never adjusted and Crayton made them pay HEAVY. Just as heavily (if not more) as Glenn would have.

Hell, maybe my standards are low, but honestly, I really don't need anything more out of my #2 WR. Call me kooky.

SS

:star:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
skinsscalper;1680485 said:
Who said anything about our future #1? He doesn't NEED to be our #1. We HAVE a #1. Will we need to draft for our future #1? Of course, but it's no reason to toss Crayton into the trash heap. As great as you think Terry Glenn might be (I'm a fan of Glenn's also), he's never even come close to the performance that Crayton put on yesterday. Not even close. BTW Glennhas played against a few crapper CBs in his career, too. Google away and see if you can find ONE GAME that Glenn put up those numbers in his ENTIRE CAREER.

I agree with you on one thing, Crayton isn't any better now than he was the previously. The difference, now, is he's been given opportunities. He capitalized big time, considering he had more yardage than the entire Rams offense.

Romo won't look for Crayton when TO is butchering the opposing D (why would he?). But, when TO is being doubled all game to limit his effectiveness (which he was yesterday) all we need is a guy to step up and make a play or two. Crayton served well in that capacity (which is exactly what a good #2 WR does). The Rams never adjusted and Crayton made them pay HEAVY. Just as heavily (if not more) as Glenn would have.

Hell, maybe my standards are low, but honestly, I really don't need anything more out of my #2 WR. Call me kooky.

SS

I agree that it is not Crayton's fault that the Rams never adjusted to Pat. They did not want TO to go off on them so instead they allowed Crayton to go off on them. Had they adjusted to Crayton no doubt TO would have had a bigger day.

BigBlacKahuna

22Cowboys21
Reaction score
Out of all the good things that are happening for us right now, people always seem to find fault ("yeah we won, but"..................). Let's just enjoy our success to this point, and worry about filling the roster when draft time rolls around;) .

Just my 2 cents

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SMCowboy;1680432 said:
Who ever said anything about Patrick Crayton being our #1 WR. Our #1 WR right now is Terrell Owens. And he doesn't show any signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Yes, he is. But he is also going to be 34 this year. We do need to at least be developing a young #1, since it does sometimes take a WR a while to develop. I don't want to end up with a bunch of possesion WRs around Romo, we need to do something about it soon.

Crayton's performance has only solidified my stance, even with the beautiful fantasy football numbers he put up that tickles everyone's fancy, the reality is he isn't our future #1 WR, and we need to looking to develop one.

RomoIsBack;1680438 said:
some of yall people never happy

Nah, just want to look at the whole picture, not just the positives, but what we need to work on as well. Hamlin said they have alot to still improve on, why can't we as fans look at the team like that too??

I believe it is more of looking at the total picture without your head in cloud nine over recent success.

SMCowboy;1680450 said:
He wasn't much of a presence the first few games because Terrell Owens and Jason Witten were both running almost uncovered all over the field.

Yes, those 2 were great. The Rams rolled all their coverage over to those 2 leaving a scrub CB one on one on Crayton, then Crayton got his numbers, not the other way around.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1680496 said:
I agree that it is not Crayton's fault that the Rams never adjusted to Pat. They did not want TO to go off on them so instead they allowed Crayton to go off on them. Had they adjusted to Crayton no doubt TO would have had a bigger day.

It was pick your poison type of situation. Be TO'd or take your chances that this Crayton kid is a fluke. They gambled and lost. An adjustment to defend Crayton with more than 1 on 1 would have resulted in a monster day for TO. I can't blame them. You KNOW TO will whip your ***. You gotta gamble on the unknown. They did, and paid dearly.

SS

VACowboy

Reaction score
Some of you people truly amaze me. I don't know what more you want from a #2 receiver than to beat man coverage. The #1 gets doubled. A TE draws LBs and safeties. The #2 is left 1-on-1. That's how it's supposed to fricking work.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
skinsscalper;1680400 said:
Man, I don't know what it takes for a guy to watch the success we are having and just enjoy it. Whatever that magical elixir may be, you need to take a double dose of it. Kevin Curtis? Are you ****** kidding me? The guy shows up for one gameout of four and you're sitting there saying "well, atleast Kevin Curtis........".

Crayton proved that he can handle the load when teams double up on Owens all game (which the Rams did religiously yesterday). It doesn't matter who was covering Crayton. The kid got the job done! No one ever annointed Crayton as the next Jerry Rice or the next Terry Glenn even. He doesn't need to be!

Speed this, speed that my ***. The kid has had the best hands on the team (regardless of the drop last week) since he suited up for a regular season contest in Dallas. He has shown a knack for finding the soft spot in the defense and making plays. Yet, you can't seem to wait to get rid of the guy. Un-******-real.
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Crayton ONLY produced the second best WR performance in team history. We need Glenn back to fix this, right now!"

:rolleyes:

SS

:hammer: :hammer: Totally agree. Can we all just enjoy what we are seeing from this team, especially when one guy steps up for another and has a great day? It's called having depth and still being able to execute. Now that's something the Cowboys used to not even have the luxury of having when a starter was down.

Enjoy!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
skinsscalper;1680509 said:
It was pick your poison type of situation. Be TO'd or take your chances that this Crayton kid is a fluke. They gambled and lost. An adjustment to defend Crayton with more than 1 on 1 would have resulted in a monster day for TO. I can't blame them. You KNOW TO will whip your ***. You gotta gamble on the unknown. They did, and paid dearly.

SS

That is what a #2 WR does. Rams were not going to let Dallas big WR beat them so that means the #2 has to stand up and do the job and Crayton did that to a tune of 184 yards and 2 TD. As they say you can't double everyone.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Fletch;1680519 said:
:hammer: :hammer: Totally agree. Can we all just enjoy what we are seeing from this team, especially when one guy steps up for another and has a great day? It's called having depth and still being able to execute. Now that's something the Cowboys used to not even have the luxury of having when a starter was down.

Enjoy!!

hey man - i want to enjoy the hell out of this run cause we have NO idea how long it will last. it's been a long long time since we've been this fortunate and i want to have a good time while the times are good.

Parche

Reaction score
Didnt Crayton show yesterday that he can succeed as a very fine #2 Wr on the NFL???

Like saying: If you have a great #1 Wr as Owens, (or something very alike, not that is easy to find) Crayton will do really fine.

Having said that, I dont see Crayton as a #1 Wr, but I could be wrong.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1680521 said:
That is what a #2 WR does. Rams were not going to let Dallas big WR beat them so that means the #2 has to stand up and do the job and Crayton did that to a tune of 184 yards and 2 TD. As they say you can't double everyone.

2 WRs that you do have to think about doubling does open up your running game more, especially if one of those WRs is a true deep threat. It just means that your opposition has to keep their safeties further back.

Crayton played good, but to me on an elite offense, a truly good #2 would be an adequate #1 for a short term if he needs to, like Glenn has demonstrated. I believe Crayton is a truly good #3 that can play #2 short term if he needs to, but on an elite offense, Crayton is still a #3. Of course, TO is good enough to let us get by, but we need to look at this area real soon.

And I see nothing wrong with looking at areas that we could use some of improvement, instead of patting each other on the back all week. :cool: After all, that is what I hope the team is doing with their time.

burmafrd

Reaction score
We need one TOP WR like TO. Absolute NEED. We can get BY with someone like Crayton for a #2. BUT you would need someone almost as good as a #3.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1680618 said:
2 WRs that you do have to think about doubling does open up your running game more, especially if one of those WRs is a true deep threat. It just means that your opposition has to keep their safeties further back.

Crayton played good, but to me on an elite offense, a truly good #2 would be an adequate #1 for a short term if he needs to, like Glenn has demonstrated. I believe Crayton is a truly good #3 that can play #2 short term if he needs to, but on an elite offense, Crayton is still a #3.

And I see nothing wrong with looking at areas that we could use some of improvement, instead of patting each other on the back all week. :cool: After all, that is what I hope the team is doing with their time.

I have no issue about Dallas looking to the future and drafting a WR regardless of Crayton. All I'm saying is I think Crayton is a guy who can be a very good #2 WR in this league. If this post is about drafting a WR I agree if is it a knock on Crayton then I disagree

burmafrd

Reaction score
Actually Glenn has had more then a few games with the kind of yardage Crayton did yesterday. Skins in last game of 2005 8-182-1. In 2003 he had a game 13-180-1
In 2002 10-193
In 99 he had a real trifecta:13-214-1/ 16-270-0/11-171-0