Still not excited about Crayton.....

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1680506 said:
Yes, he is. But he is also going to be 34 this year. We do need to at least be developing a young #1, since it does sometimes take a WR a while to develop. I don't want to end up with a bunch of possesion WRs around Romo, we need to do something about it soon.

Did you forget about Isiah Stanbach? Because that is EXACTLY why we drafted him is because they do view Stanbach as a guy who can develop into a #1 WR. He has the size, the strength and the speed to be one of the elite WR's in the game. Does that mean he will, no it doesn't. But he certainly has the skills to. Besides if you look at the largest majority of the elite #1 WR's in the NFL today, their is a ridiculously high number of non first round DP's in that list.

I am not saying that it is stupid to take a WR with the #1 pick in the draft. The one luxury that we have with this team, is we really don't have ANY spots on the team that we HAVE to draft next year.

DT - While DT wouldn't hurt, if Tank Johnson manages to stay clean and can play, it would actually go from wouldn't hurt, to absolutely no need at all. If Johnson doesn't work out, we still have Ferguson who is solid, and Ratliff who looks VERY good as well. And Ferguson at 32 while not young, is not at an age where he will retire in a year or two. It is far from uncommon for DT's to play into their mid to late 30's.

WR - Sure, getting a STUD WR in the draft to either pair with Owens, or take over for Owens when he leaves would be nice. But, We do have Owens and he should be around for atleast 2 or 3 more years (at a minimum) and we also have Isiah Stanbach developing who has the talent to be a #1 WR, as well as having Crayton and Hurd who are above average as #2 and #3 WR's in the league.

CB - Would drafting a top CB in round 1 next year hurt? Heck no, we really are only three deep at CB, and have only 1 real lock down CB. While both Henry and Reeves are solid CB's neither is a lockdown type of CB. That said, when Newman, Henry and Reeves are all healthy, we have a very solid, but not elite secondary, and none of the three are at the age where any appear to be ready to retire in the next 2 or 3 years.

OL - Would getting a STUD LT to replace Flozell Adams hurt, absolutely not. You can never have to many STUD OL. But, we do have Free and Pat McQuinsten who both look to be very solid players and look like they will both be more than adequate LT's in the NFL. It also isn't a forgone conclusion that we can't and won't resign Adams, although it isn't likely that we will.

RB - Would drafting a McFadden, or Rice or Slaton be a bad thing, absolutely not. But, is RB a need position? With Marion Barber still around, we definately do not need a stud RB, we already have a very good one, and we can always try and resign Jones as well.

aikemirv

Reaction score
skinsscalper;1680485 said:
Who said anything about our future #1? He doesn't NEED to be our #1. We HAVE a #1. Will we need to draft for our future #1? Of course, but it's no reason to toss Crayton into the trash heap. As great as you think Terry Glenn might be (I'm a fan of Glenn's also), he's never even come close to the performance that Crayton put on yesterday. Not even close. BTW Glennhas played against a few crapper CBs in his career, too. Google away and see if you can find ONE GAME that Glenn put up those numbers in his ENTIRE CAREER.
I agree with you on one thing, Crayton isn't any better now than he was the previously. The difference, now, is he's been given opportunities. He capitalized big time, considering he had more yardage than the entire Rams offense.

Romo won't look for Crayton when TO is butchering the opposing D (why would he?). But, when TO is being doubled all game to limit his effectiveness (which he was yesterday) all we need is a guy to step up and make a play or two. Crayton served well in that capacity (which is exactly what a good #2 WR does). The Rams never adjusted and Crayton made them pay HEAVY. Just as heavily (if not more) as Glenn would have.

Hell, maybe my standards are low, but honestly, I really don't need anything more out of my #2 WR. Call me kooky.

SS

:star:

Not even close - please, I like Crayton but he is no T Glenn, not even close!

Just on the Cowboys:

6-157-1
5-137-0
7-118-2
6-138-1
8-150
7-140

Talk to me again when Crayton has a few of them!!!

Get real

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't read all the posts, partially since many of them are the same, but what does keeping Crayton on the roster have to do with drafting a WR next year? I definitely think they should draft a WR next year, but I would also like to see them keep Crayton.

Crayton has a pretty well-defined role on this team and he's steadily produced. The drop-off between Glenn, Crayton, and TO to the back end guys is steep enough that the team shouldn't discount drafting another WR next year.

Glenn may very well be done after this year, whether he comes back this year or not. If that's the case, you can't let Crayton walk. The lack of experience at the WR spot is a bit worrisome.

Personally, I think the discussion should be more about what it would take to keep him than worry about what role he should have on the team. He's not a traditional #1, but he's definitely a good #2-3.

I think he gets a Bradie James-like contract.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1680659 said:
Didn't read all the posts, partially since many of them are the same, but what does keeping Crayton on the roster have to do with drafting a WR next year? I definitely think they should draft a WR next year, but I would also like to see them keep Crayton.

Crayton has a pretty well-defined role on this team and he's steadily produced. The drop-off between Glenn, Crayton, and TO to the back end guys is steep enough that the team shouldn't discount drafting another WR next year.

Glenn may very well be done after this year, whether he comes back this year or not. If that's the case, you can't let Crayton walk. The lack of experience at the WR spot is a bit worrisome.

Personally, I think the discussion should be more about what it would take to keep him than worry about what role he should have on the team. He's not a traditional #1, but he's definitely a good #2-3.

i hope also crayton goes nowhere. but if we draft a WR the most likey WR-out would be glenn, do you think?

TO
Glenn
Crayton
Hurd
Austin
Stanback

not likely we'll keep 7 wr's around so who's gone to make room for the draft pick?

the problem is we've got our "projects" in austin and stanback and to a degree hurd still but hurd is coming out of project and becoming a player. so we really can't just take a flyer in the later rounds. *if* we draft a WR it needs to be with one of our 1st 3 picks or in some trade down scenario or are we really addressing it with a legit #1 or #2 WR?

i agree we need to look at WR but it's to replace glenn in my mind. what are you thinking, WG?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Stanback is going to be given a year or so while they evaluate him. Same with Hurd and Austin. So I really do not see going after a top WR in the draft next year. I really do not see them going after a top FA either (they cost BIG money). Especially since TO seems to be settling in. In 2009 we might do something.

Parche

Reaction score
burmafrd;1680689 said:
Stanback is going to be given a year or so while they evaluate him. Same with Hurd and Austin. So I really do not see going after a top WR in the draft next year. I really do not see them going after a top FA either (they cost BIG money). Especially since TO seems to be settling in. In 2009 we might do something.

Well, you cant really tell because you dont know how the drafts will turn into and which players will be available for us when its our turn...

Its really early for all of that, by the way.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;1680680 said:
i hope also crayton goes nowhere. but if we draft a WR the most likey WR-out would be glenn, do you think?

TO
Glenn
Crayton
Hurd
Austin
Stanback

not likely we'll keep 7 wr's around so who's gone to make room for the draft pick?

the problem is we've got our "projects" in austin and stanback and to a degree hurd still but hurd is coming out of project and becoming a player. so we really can't just take a flyer in the later rounds. *if* we draft a WR it needs to be with one of our 1st 3 picks or in some trade down scenario or are we really addressing it with a legit #1 or #2 WR?

i agree we need to look at WR but it's to replace glenn in my mind. what are you thinking, WG?
Due to the latest Glenn injury, he's not a lock for next year. Time will tell. I hesitate to count him out. Just a matter of seeing what he can do this year. But even if he can come back, he won't be the same player.

In my mind, it's all about churning the bottom of the roster. Stanback is kinda automatic due to draft pick status and basically get a 2nd year. Hurd and Austin will have to prove to the coaching staff that they are worth keeping for a 3rd year.

The motivating factors to drafting a WR in 2008, not considering free agency:
Glenn retires, the team almost has to draft another WR.
Glenn stays, but they let Crayton walk, they have to draft a WR
Glenn and Crayton stays, they don't have to draft a WR, but Hurd, Austin, and Stanback will need to justify their faith, making 2009 a must draft a WR year.

Based on the way this team is built, I would look hard at what wide receivers will be available in free agency or trade if either Glenn or Crayton walks.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1680637 said:
I have no issue about Dallas looking to the future and drafting a WR regardless of Crayton. All I'm saying is I think Crayton is a guy who can be a very good #2 WR in this league. If this post is about drafting a WR I agree if is it a knock on Crayton then I disagree

I said at the beginning I like Crayton, I just believe he is an elite level #3, and an average adequate #2 (with a guy like TO there). I like him, but don't think we should start to think that WR isn't a concern cause of him.

Someone mentioned the Colts and Harrison going down. Well, I have predicted from the beginning of this year that Wayne would take over status of #1 on that team soon. Heck, he would be #1 on most teams now, cause of his talent. We just don't have that (point is, Crayton isn't that, and noone else on the roster is either), but we need to get to the point where we are. As Harrison's career is on the downside right now, Wayne is right there. TO has to be thought of similarly soon (granted he is showing no signs), but please don't compare Wayne to Crayton, lol.

aikemirv;1680657 said:
Not even close - please, I like Crayton but he is no T Glenn, not even close!

Just on the Cowboys:

6-157-1
5-137-0
7-118-2
6-138-1
8-150
7-140

Talk to me again when Crayton has a few of them!!!

Get real

Amen, Crayton has a long way to go before matching some of what Glenn has done. Glenn is an elite #2 in my eyes, an average adequate #1.

WoodysGirl;1680659 said:

I really want Glenn to come back, guess I'm still hoping he can. I believe Crayton should definitely stay, have no question about that. But I just think he should stay in the same role as a number #3, and his contract should be given according to this role.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Your entitled to your opinion however that does not mean I have to agree with you. I think Crayton makes for a very good #2 WR and no where did I compare him to Wayne. I have nothing aginst Dallas drafting a WR next season if they choose to go that direction but as for as Crayton I have confidence in him that he can do the job as a #2 end of story. You disagree fine

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Parche;1680697 said:
Well, you cant really tell because you dont know how the drafts will turn into and which players will be available for us when its our turn...

Its really early for all of that, by the way.

Its not too early to think about it when we are also talking about a contract for Crayton and his place in our future given the numbers he put up yesterday.

What sparked the thread from me were posts saying that we didn't need a WR anymore cause of Crayton. With his contract situation and everything, it is well worth talking about his role in our future now, not later.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1680712 said:
Your entitled to your opinion however that does not mean I have to agree with you. I think Crayton makes for a very good #2 WR and no where did I compare him to Wayne. I have nothing aginst Dallas drafting a WR next season if they choose to go that direction but as for as Crayton I have confidence in him that he can do the job as a #2 end of story. You disagree fine

No, you said nothing of Harrison, that was said by someone else earlier in the thread, and it was in my thoughts so I said it there, not directed at you. ;)

Guess my point with it is that, if you have a number one as elite as TO, it would be nice to have someone that is developing beside him to eventually take his place at TO's advanced age. I just don't see that in Crayton, and it has been said many times in this thread that others don't see him as an eventual #1 either.

What I want is our #2 to be a guy that can eventually take over at #1 (cause of TO and Glenn's age). Crayton isn't that guy.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1680659 said:

I like Crayton and want him to stay. I don't think he is enough of a consistent threat (IMO) to be a full time #2. I also I don't think Dallas will give him a James type contract. That might be a bit expensive for what I believe is a #3 receiver. ($4M/yr)

EDIT: If you do not count the Rams game, he is averaging 26 yards and 2 catches per game. That my friend is not #2 type production.

Marktui

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1680417 said:
Your entitled to your opinion I think Crayton is very capable of doing the job and if you want to belittle him that is fine with me I just disagree that Crayton can do the job and have watched Pro Football long enough to know that speed is not what it is all about Crayton has great hands had decent hieght and can get open and make the catches. Crayton is not small nor he is slow he may not be as fast but he is fast enough to take it to the house. This is not track and field it is football and Crayton brings enough to the table to do the job.

Totally agree!! Speed is so overrated in the WR position. Randy Moss is more an exception than than the rule. Lack of speed can be made up for precision route running and hands.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;1680738 said:
I like Crayton and want him to stay. I don't think he is enough of a consistent threat (IMO) to be a full time #2. I also I don't think Dallas will give him a James type contract. That might be a bit expensive for what I believe is a #3 receiver. ($4M/yr)

EDIT: If you do not count the Rams game, he is averaging 26 yards and 2 catches per game. That my friend is not #2 type production.
I'm not sure what more you expect from #2. If Crayton can become a 1,000 opposite TO, does that not count for something?

In today's economy, you don't see the 'boys offering somewhere around these numbers? Overall terms are fairly reasonable, especially if Glenn doesn't come back.

Sep. 20--IRVING -- Cowboys linebacker Bradie James signed a five-year, $20 million contract extension Tuesday, which includes an $8 million signing bonus, according to a source. A fourth-round pick in 2003, James was slated to be a free agent at the end of the...

NickZepp

Reaction score
Crayton is a capable guy. He's not every going to be a number 1 guy IMO. But he is a good receiver that knows how to play the position. He'll have a long NFL career because of that. The best thing about him is how quick he is off the line. It makes it hard to stop him from running his route. He also has good moves and he has decent speed. Not the fastest guy but he plays fast.

With all that said I don't think he's a number 1 guy after TO leaves here. So I do agree we need to probably draft WR for the future. But we don't have to get one this year. It's not that important to draft a WR this year because TO is here for about 2 or 3 more years more than likely. And his skills are still as good as they've always been. I don't see Hurd or Miles or Steinback being number 1 WRs in the future but they can all be good ones. So we'll eventually have to address this, but I hope we keep Crayton a long time and he'll do a decent job for us.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1680751 said:
I'm not sure what more you expect from #2. If Crayton can become a 1,000 opposite TO, does that not count for something?

In today's economy, you don't see the 'boys offering somewhere around these numbers? Overall terms are fairly reasonable, especially if Glenn doesn't come back.

See, I don't think Crayton is a 1,000+ receiver. Right now he is on track for 1048 yards, but if you just use the first three games he was on track for 416. (26YD per game * 16 Games = 416 total yards) You cannot honestly believe Crayton is going to continue with this type of production just because of one out of four games? If he does, then more power to him, but based on what I've seen, it's not going to happen. He was covered by Lenny Walls who at best is a nickel or dime CB. He has no business being a starting CB.

btw, I said $4M/yr (or 5Y/$20M) for Bradie's contract.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
nyc said:
EDIT: If you do not count the Rams game, he is averaging 26 yards and 2 catches per game.

So you're not going to count the Rams game (why?), but you ARE going to count the Miami game when he got his finger bent sideways and barely played, and the Chicago game, when his finger apparently still bothered him?

If you take out the Miami game, when he was hurt, he's averaging 4.3 catches for 87.3 yards per game -- on pace for 65 catches, 1,310 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Even if he never has another game like yesterday's but averages only what he did in the opener against the Giants (before his injury), he'll finish with 49 catches for 874 yards, which would have ranked 15th in the NFC last season -- or fifth-best among NFC No. 2 receivers (or fourth, if you don't count our own No. 2) and better than six NFC teams' No. 1 receiver.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
TO came from behind Crayton and still ended up in front of him. TO is fast but hes not a burner. Point is Crayton is not going to win many foot races but he has great hands and he runs his routes very well. He is a great reciever working from the slot. I don't know how much he is going to ask or how much we should give him but it shouldn't be an incredibly high amount.

We dont really NEED a deep threat but it would be nice for a player of Terry Glenns speed to have as another option. Jason Witten is playing the best football of his career and TO is flat out diesel. Crayton is playing well in his slot position as well. I would be suprised if he has another game like this past saturday though.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1680698 said:
Due to the latest Glenn injury, he's not a lock for next year. Time will tell. I hesitate to count him out. Just a matter of seeing what he can do this year. But even if he can come back, he won't be the same player.

In my mind, it's all about churning the bottom of the roster. Stanback is kinda automatic due to draft pick status and basically get a 2nd year. Hurd and Austin will have to prove to the coaching staff that they are worth keeping for a 3rd year.

The motivating factors to drafting a WR in 2008, not considering free agency:
Glenn retires, the team almost has to draft another WR.
Glenn stays, but they let Crayton walk, they have to draft a WR
Glenn and Crayton stays, they don't have to draft a WR, but Hurd, Austin, and Stanback will need to justify their faith, making 2009 a must draft a WR year.

Based on the way this team is built, I would look hard at what wide receivers will be available in free agency or trade if either Glenn or Crayton walks.

some good thoughts there and i agree - roster churning.

TO - given he'll be here
Glenn - ?
Crayton - ? but i think he gets paid and goes nowhere.
Hurd - coming on strong and making a case for himself
Stanback - ditto your remarks. i think he gets another year or two just because he *is* a project we drafted.

leaves austin and glenn as the ones who are most likely to not be here next year if we draft another WR. get a smaller speed guy, i'd say glenn is done. maybe we'll know long before we have to make that decision.

i think the locks are TO, crayton, hurd and stanback. after that it's anyones guess what we do.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
This team is better with Crayton on it than with Crayton not on it. Whatever role that might be, whatever. But I hope we don't lose him next year.