Still want to defend David Irving?

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't know if that's necessarily true. What I mean is that while I agree that Lee is paying attention in practice and doing what he can to be mentally prepared, that isn't a substitute for playing, or playing consistently. Skills, including mental skills, have to be put to use to stay sharp. I'm not sure Lee ever really had time to get in sync this season. But, I will also admit we really can't know what Lee has left, and there is some chance the answer is "not much". I just have a hard time believing that he lost that much between 2017 and 2018. He played very well in 2017 in the 11 games he played.

He played horribly in the first game when he was completely healthy. No one was likely expecting that.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm not reading this whole thread but IMO the title and topic questions are different questions.

Do I (still) defend Irving? I have no idea what's going on so how could I defend it? I think it's an unimportant question anyway.

Do I still hope he'll be a Cowboy in the future? What I hope is 2016 Irving (particularly the one who showed up in the regular season game against GB) will play for us again, because:

1. I seriously doubt we'll get anyone better in the draft or free agency.

2. If 2016 Irving was playing for us right now I'd put our chances of beating either the Saints or the Rams at around 80%.

As things stand now the Cowboys are going to have to pay a lot of good/great players the next 2 seasons so I'm not sure we'd keep Irving if he was playing anyway. I think at a minimum TWill, Bease, and Irving are gone.

Let's suppose that Irving is healthy (which he is reported to be). If he is healthy, and isn't playing, how is that helping his team?

What excuse could a guy have (if he is healthy) other than the death of a family member that would justify him not playing in a divisional playoff game?

I don't know about you, but I am having a hard time thinking of something that would justify that. I'm not saying there aren't any, but I'm just sayin'.

Irving hasn't even been around the team until recently. I'm not sure how that is helping him or the team.

Verdict

Reaction score
I saw the same thing in the Giants game. I thought it might be rust from the layoff, but I remember having the same concerns when he looked slow at the start of the season. I tend to think he's done as a player, it happens to everybody at some point.

I was very surprised how bad he was in the Giants game. Shocked.

CB61

Reaction score
If David Irving is done with the Cowboys, why aren't they putting him on the IR and use the roster spot? That's the strangest part of all of this.
Maybe holding on to some dream that he may show up, but dreams are made to be crushed

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Maybe holding on to some dream that he may show up, but dreams are made to be crushed

Yeah, to be honest, I wouldn't reward him with letting him play in the playoffs. I guess if we had to due to an injury to Lawrence or even Gregory.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know some fans have been holding out hope that the team has been holding David Irving back as some sort of secret weapon for the playoffs. He obviously didn't play this weekend.

It has been reported that his injury isn't issue at this point. From a team perspective, he has obviously let his team down over and over.

Are there some here that still hold out hope that he will be a part of the Cowboys plans in the future?

Where is the report? I've only seen fan and media speculation.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If he is healthy and walking around the lockerroom, why the hell is he not going to the meetings and practicing?

Like some other posters have said, I dont know what excuse he could be using to justify not even attending meetings at the Star.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Where is the report? I've only seen fan and media speculation.
Come on, @xwalker, we agree on most things, but why do you keep defending this mental midget? I've read several reports how he is physically healthy but he barely was seen for the past 2 days only hanging out in the locker room. Not even showing up to meetings or even therapy. It's a mental issue with this guy at this point. He very likely is not going to play in these playoffs, so put him on IR, free up his roster spot for someone else eager to play, and then strictly evaluate if this mental basket case is worth being offered a new contract to return in the offseason.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It has been reported that Irving is a slug. Not attending practices? Lower than a slug.

CB61

Reaction score
Yeah, to be honest, I wouldn't reward him with letting him play in the playoffs. I guess if we had to due to an injury to Lawrence or even Gregory.
Yeah I was being sarcastic I agree with you

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on, @xwalker, we agree on most things, but why do you keep defending this mental midget? I've read several reports how he is physically healthy but he barely was seen for the past 2 days only hanging out in the locker room. Not even showing up to meetings or even therapy. It's a mental issue with this guy at this point. He very likely is not going to play in these playoffs, so put him on IR, free up his roster spot for someone else eager to play, and then strictly evaluate if this mental basket case is worth being offered a new contract to return in the offseason.

Is there a link to a legit reporter that confirms this story? Not a blogging site or national rumor monger type reporter.

Todd Archer?
Broaddus and crew?

Carl23

Reaction score
I feel very secure in the right-ness of my decision to abstain on this question.

I don't know what the problem is.

And I have no pretentiousness to cause me to pretend that I'm the rightful judge of whether the problem was/is significant enough to warrant Irving's lack of availability.

I wish the guy well. I wish we had him, but I trust that whatever the reason is that we don't, it's good enough.

I have no reason to pass judgment, as-if anyone should care what my judgment is.

Maybe if I were a member of the team I'd feel differently.

I'm not a member of the team.
That is what I should have thought/said before I 'liked' other posts. Life moments.