Still want to defend David Irving?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Remember when the Cowboys were stupid to only give him a second round tender when they should have given him a first round one?

LOL. Good times. The Cowboys were hoping beyond hope someone was dumb enough to sign him and hand over their 2nd rounder to us. They were basically begging for someone to do that.

This and I was hoping.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It also forces the Cowboys to probably have to keep Crawford at that cap number, although I guess they could try to extend him and lower the cap hit going forward.

It also means we might be looking at some 3T DTs this offseason too. Collins, who has been really good recently, is still an injury risk and then there is Crawford.

I'm hoping for a reasonable retire-as-a-Cowboy contract for Crawford at this point as well. And I definitely think they need to look at defensive tackle in the upcoming draft. It's supposed to be deep at the position and they've neglected it for far too long.

Zordon

Reaction score
I hope so. The team should get something for all of the crap they've put up with from this bonehead.

But I'll honestly be surprised if he ever plays again. The stupidity, ignorance, and indifference is so strong with this guy that I can more likely see him throwing all of his opportunities away like Rolando McClain did. The only difference would be that McClain had gotten one big contract first.

If and when Irving ever gets it, few if anybody will care at that point. And it's sad to see.
When the checks stop coming in, then he'll tighten up and there will be another team out there to give him a second chance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the checks stop coming in, then he'll tighten up and there will be another team out there to give him a second chance.

Likely so, but it will have to be a low money, incentive-based, prove it deal, due to the damage his actions have done to his career and reputation.

He was in a contract year and blew it as badly as you could.

If he even comes back to the game, he and his agent will have a ton of damage control to do.

Flamma

Reaction score
I know some fans have been holding out hope that the team has been holding David Irving back as some sort of secret weapon for the playoffs. He obviously didn't play this weekend.

It has been reported that his injury isn't issue at this point. From a team perspective, he has obviously let his team down over and over.

Are there some here that still hold out hope that he will be a part of the Cowboys plans in the future?

I always have hope for our players. I pretty much wrote Gregory off, but I was never one that called for his release. I don't hate the guy. I thought if he can get it together, welcome back. Same with Irving as far as I am concerned. I don't know the guy I don't hate the guy. He's got issues and isn't killing us on cap, work 'em out if you can.

Verdict

Reaction score
Common knowledge comes with appropriate citation of sources. Provide them. That's how the adults post

Google it. Do I need to tell you that the sun comes up in the east too? I'm not going to pander to simpleton tactics. Sorry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure Lee is done. Lee has played poorly most of the few snaps he has actually taken this year.

He's looked done and the team looks done with him (as a player anyway). I'm hopeful they can work something out to retain him as a coach, but oftentimes, players need to find out the hard way that their playing career is over.

Verdict

Reaction score
He's looked done and the team looks done with him (as a player anyway). I'm hopeful they can work something out to retain him as a coach, but oftentimes, players need to find out the hard way that their playing career is over.

I agree with all of that 100 percent. I will say that I am a little bit surprised how short his leash was in the Seahawks game. That shows me that Garrett is finally growing up and making the hard decisions that need to be made.

He was clearly a liability when he played and he didn't wait around through the whole game to make that call. He just seemed to pull the plug on him after a handful of plays.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure Lee is done. Lee has played poorly most of the few snaps he has actually taken this year.

The unknown is whether Lee not playing well is from a lack of repetitions and not being able to get in the flow of games, or if he has truly lost all of what made him special. I have to wonder if he could come back and fill the role Damien Wilson fills, which I think is only about 20-25% of the snaps in any given game.

Verdict

Reaction score
The unknown is whether Lee not playing well is from a lack of repetitions and not being able to get in the flow of games, or if he has truly lost all of what made him special. I have to wonder if he could come back and fill the role Damien Wilson fills, which I think is only about 20-25% of the snaps in any given game.

Yeah, it's a question, but the evidence is that he can't. You KNOW he was mentally prepared. You know he's paying attention in practice. I just think physically, he can't do what he used to. Father Time remains undefeated.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a reasonable retire-as-a-Cowboy contract for Crawford at this point as well. And I definitely think they need to look at defensive tackle in the upcoming draft. It's supposed to be deep at the position and they've neglected it for far too long.

Agree, they had Lawrence from Clemson to us when we had a first round pick.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know some fans have been holding out hope that the team has been holding David Irving back as some sort of secret weapon for the playoffs. He obviously didn't play this weekend.

It has been reported that his injury isn't issue at this point. From a team perspective, he has obviously let his team down over and over.

Are there some here that still hold out hope that he will be a part of the Cowboys plans in the future?

I absolutely don't know why any Cowboys fan wouldn't want this player to get it turned around, so yes, until he's no longer here I'm going to hope he gets his head on straight and gets on the field to help our team.

I also won't mind the team offering him a vet minimum contract with incentives after this season to see if he can get his head on straight and help this team next year. The incentives would be workouts, including OTAs and minicamp, roster, playing time and production. If he screws up any of that, you cut him without cost. If he doesn't agree to that, you let him go.

Verdict

Reaction score
I always have hope for our players. I pretty much wrote Gregory off, but I was never one that called for his release. I don't hate the guy. I thought if he can get it together, welcome back. Same with Irving as far as I am concerned. I don't know the guy I don't hate the guy. He's got issues and isn't killing us on cap, work 'em out if you can.

He's costing us a few million ($3m, I think) on the cap and we are getting zero in terms of rate of return on him. A guy can't help if he is injured, so that can't be held against him (unless it is chronic).

He has been suspended and also had other issues outside of football. The worst part about that is that it is largely self inflicted. Roster spots are precious. We need performance out of each one.

Gregory was lumped in the same category, and it seems like that risk is paying off. The question is whether or not Irving wants to get his life in order or not. If so then he has the ability to be worth the risk.

No one here hates Irving personally, but it's ok to hold him accountable for being a total screwup and imparing our team with his ten cent head.

lostar2009

Reaction score
They kept him on the roster this long. If you can play him. I just wouldn't start him.

Flamma

Reaction score
He's costing us a few million ($3m, I think) on the cap and we are getting zero in terms of rate of return on him. A guy can't help if he is injured, so that can't be held against him (unless it is chronic).

He has been suspended and also had other issues outside of football. The worst part about that is that it is largely self inflicted. Roster spots are precious. We need performance out of each one.

Gregory was lumped in the same category, and it seems like that risk is paying off. The question is whether or not Irving wants to get his life in order or not. If so then he has the ability to be worth the risk.

No one here hates Irving personally, but it's ok to hold him accountable for being a total screwup and imparing our team with his ten cent head.

Agreed. But he or Gregory are not getting Tank like contracts. Cowboys cannot do that. I am willing to let them work out their demons on a relatively low budget.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, it's a question, but the evidence is that he can't. You KNOW he was mentally prepared. You know he's paying attention in practice. I just think physically, he can't do what he used to. Father Time remains undefeated.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. What I mean is that while I agree that Lee is paying attention in practice and doing what he can to be mentally prepared, that isn't a substitute for playing, or playing consistently. Skills, including mental skills, have to be put to use to stay sharp. I'm not sure Lee ever really had time to get in sync this season. But, I will also admit we really can't know what Lee has left, and there is some chance the answer is "not much". I just have a hard time believing that he lost that much between 2017 and 2018. He played very well in 2017 in the 11 games he played.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with all of that 100 percent. I will say that I am a little bit surprised how short his leash was in the Seahawks game. That shows me that Garrett is finally growing up and making the hard decisions that need to be made.

He was clearly a liability when he played and he didn't wait around through the whole game to make that call. He just seemed to pull the plug on him after a handful of plays.

I saw the same thing in the Giants game. I thought it might be rust from the layoff, but I remember having the same concerns when he looked slow at the start of the season. I tend to think he's done as a player, it happens to everybody at some point.