Still want to defend David Irving?

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Let us just recap with David:

- Kicked off college team due to role in the "Veishea riots," in which he was charged with a felony
- Teammates have doubted his personal narrative of growing up in Compton, CA
- Suspended for PED, and substance abuse
- Has a tumultuous relationship with the mother of his daughter, who has twice accused him of assault, and later recanted. There is so much acrimony, that David took his daughter from her mother in California, and drove her to Texas. He has not allowed the mother any access to their child.

I think we are all disappointed in how David has handled his custody situation, but none of us know the details of his relationship with his ex. I think we wished he had more patience, and would compartmentalize that issue while playing football for the Cowboys. But that's a selfish desire on our part.

Ken

Reaction score
I know some fans have been holding out hope that the team has been holding David Irving back as some sort of secret weapon for the playoffs. He obviously didn't play this weekend.

It has been reported that his injury isn't issue at this point. From a team perspective, he has obviously let his team down over and over.

Are there some here that still hold out hope that he will be a part of the Cowboys plans in the future?
Nope. Cut him today.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I'm over him. I would have loved to see him in there with the current defense, as it could have only been that much better, but the situation is what it is.
As far as being selfish on the issue, I don't see it that way at all. Yes family is more important than work, but I am having a hard time imagining even a custody situation that could not have been at least partially ironed out to the point that he could have been playing by now. While I do know that the family issue is a good part of his absence, I feel like a good portion of it is self inflicted as well.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
If Irving cannot be trusted to make himself available, he can't be trusted to help the Cowboys, period.

He's had more than sufficient time to recover from his high ankle sprain. He's way too selfish to keep.
:thumbdown:

Sydla

Reaction score
Let us just recap with David:

- Kicked off college team due to role in the "Veishea riots," in which he was charged with a felony
- Teammates have doubted his personal narrative of growing up in Compton, CA
- Suspended for PED, and substance abuse
- Has a tumultuous relationship with the mother of his daughter, who has twice accused him of assault, and later recanted. There is so much acrimony, that David took his daughter from her mother in California, and drove her to Texas. He has not allowed the mother any access to their child.

I think we are all disappointed in how David has handled his custody situation, but none of us know the details of his relationship with his ex. I think we wished he had more patience, and would compartmentalize that issue while playing football for the Cowboys. But that's a selfish desire on our part.

Two things:

1) Where is this story about teammates thinking he's making up or stretching reality with his upbringing? I never heard this before.

2) The Veisha riots thing might not tip the scales of true crime here. He was caught holding an uprooted stop sign and charged with 5th degree theft and disorderly conduct. It's unclear if he was the one who ripped the stop sign up or just grabbed it and was holding it. In the grand scheme of things, not exactly what I would call serious crimes here. Crap, I did worse in college. LOL.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Two things:

1) Where is this story about teammates thinking he's making up or stretching reality with his upbringing? I never heard this before.

2) The Veisha riots thing might not tip the scales of true crime here. He was caught holding an uprooted stop sign and charged with 5th degree theft and disorderly conduct. It's unclear if he was the one who ripped the stop sign up or just grabbed it and was holding it. In the grand scheme of things, not exactly what I would call serious crimes here. Crap, I did worse in college. LOL.

It was in Star Telegram. I will have to find it later. It's a minor issue, when compared to the others.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Common knowledge comes with appropriate citation of sources. Provide them. That's how the adults post
That's how adults do it? Post with actual facts? Lol you need to take your own advice with your future comments and posts.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know some fans have been holding out hope that the team has been holding David Irving back as some sort of secret weapon for the playoffs. He obviously didn't play this weekend.

It has been reported that his injury isn't issue at this point. From a team perspective, he has obviously let his team down over and over.

Are there some here that still hold out hope that he will be a part of the Cowboys plans in the future?

The guy doesnt want to play. Its obvious. Just wants to moan and complain about his self inflicted predicament and get stoned every day. Total loser.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Teammates have doubted his personal narrative of growing up in Compton, CA

Agree with your post and this is a tangent, but has Irving ever claimed he "grew up in Compton". He went to High School in a small town near Riverside that is totally a small cow town. Then he went to college in Iowa, I haven't heard anything about him saying that he grew up dodging gunfire.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Give him a few more years to sort out his life and then he can be a star in 2022

cern

Reaction score
The man just is not wired correctly. He's only our problem if we let him be. Cut the cord.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
That may have been true at one point but no longer. I am pulling for the guy to get it together and return because honestly, why wouldn't I? Top 3 though? Over which 3 of Jaylon, LVE, Lawrence, B. Jones, Gregory?
Lve Lawrence Irving Jones jaylon Brown Gregory woods awuzie Crawford heath

PUSHfold

Reaction score
It's really sad for Irving because he has Aaron Donald type talent that's shown many times and he was well on his way to becoming one of the NFL's dominant D-linemen he's just a headcase. It's the typical million dollar talent with a 10c head type thing. He's still only 25 or 26 so I still think the Cowboys should try to resign him as cheaply as can and hope and pray he gets his stuff figured out in time to produce for a few years.

Eanwen

Reaction score

I'm not reading this whole thread but IMO the title and topic questions are different questions.

Do I (still) defend Irving? I have no idea what's going on so how could I defend it? I think it's an unimportant question anyway.

Do I still hope he'll be a Cowboy in the future? What I hope is 2016 Irving (particularly the one who showed up in the regular season game against GB) will play for us again, because:

1. I seriously doubt we'll get anyone better in the draft or free agency.

2. If 2016 Irving was playing for us right now I'd put our chances of beating either the Saints or the Rams at around 80%.

As things stand now the Cowboys are going to have to pay a lot of good/great players the next 2 seasons so I'm not sure we'd keep Irving if he was playing anyway. I think at a minimum TWill, Bease, and Irving are gone.