Storage Wars Sued By Its Star; Show Is Faked And Execs Were Confronted By Cast

rkell87

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4896382 said:
I don't know if the show really affected the price of storage lockers, but I do know the price of them has gotten ridiculous.

I'm contemplating having my contractor guy build a backyard storage unit for me. I could save some cash long-term by doing it.

I meant the price of buying them not the rental price, sorry I know that wasn't clear

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rkell87;4896982 said:
I meant the price of buying them not the rental price, sorry I know that wasn't clear
Aagh, gotcha..

My complaint still remains.. Those rental things sucks.. lol

rkell87

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4897031 said:
Aagh, gotcha..

My complaint still remains.. Those rental things sucks.. lol

lol yeah they do however you can make your money back, get all of the stuff out of your locker and fill it with storage boxes labeled things like fine china, extremely fragile and the like and stack them really neat, then check craigslist for free furniture and go pick up some nicer looking stuff and put it behind the boxes so you can see it but can't get a look at it from the outside, then stop paying your rent and wait till they auction it off. The storage place legally can't make money from your locker so they take their back rent, the auctioneer takes his cut, and you get a check for the overage so everybody wins!.....except the bidder, he wins but it is really a loss for them lol

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
rkell87;4897230 said:
lol yeah they do however you can make your money back, get all of the stuff out of your locker and fill it with storage boxes labeled things like fine china, extremely fragile and the like and stack them really neat, then check craigslist for free furniture and go pick up some nicer looking stuff and put it behind the boxes so you can see it but can't get a look at it from the outside, then stop paying your rent and wait till they auction it off. The storage place legally can't make money from your locker so they take their back rent, the auctioneer takes his cut, and you get a check for the overage so everybody wins!.....except the bidder, he wins but it is really a loss for them lol

No clue how you came up w/ this concept, but it's so farfetched, it's like you got it from some fairytale.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasCowpoke;4897568 said:
No clue how you came up w/ this concept, but it's so farfetched, it's like you got it from some fairytale.

Actually...

It isn't, even though it seems that it could be.

There was an article in the Buffalo newpaper about a month ago talking about the storage rental laws in New York State.

And that's how it works, if there are any profits (after selling an abandon storage unit) up and above the costs due the auction company and the back rent due the storage facility– Well those profits go back to the folks that originally rented the storage unit.

It may not be right, but that's how it works in New York.

Can't vouch for other states though.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised people are stunned that it's fake. I always thought that the common sense would show it was fake, but they were essentially trying to re-dramatize past experiences that these auctioneers have had.

I think Hester would have a point given that this was causing a lot of people to get into the business thinking they could strike oil like it is done on the show. Furthermore, it has to hurt their business because it increased the popularity of auctioneers and now bidding and winning a bid becomes entirely more difficult.

But, I don't buy for a second that Hester had some change of heart. It's been staged/assisted from the get-go and he had no problem with it until 4 seasons have gone bye, which coincided with him having his contract rescinded. From the sounds of it, he was a colossal pain in the arse in real life and probably wanted more money. He recently had a DUI and he wasn't on some episodes, apparently because he was busy with his own auctioneer business and the legal troubles with the DUI.

So he probably had demands that were too high and A&E decided he wasn't worth it. Then he sued.

YR

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4897646 said:
Actually...

It isn't, even though it seems that it could be.

There was an article in the Buffalo newpaper about a month ago talking about the storage rental laws in New York State.

And that's how it works, if there are any profits (after selling an abandon storage unit) up and above the costs due the auction company and the back rent due the storage facility– Well those profits go back to the folks that originally rented the storage unit.

It may not be right, but that's how it works in New York.

Can't vouch for other states though.

Wow, I would of never guessed that in a million years. I stand corrected.

But a search turned up this: which confirms this, although the storage co owner in most cases, is under no obligation to notify the lessee that funds exist.

Also, many sites I found w/ extended legalese, also mentioned the storage company owner is under almost no obligation to ever "auction off" the contents of a unit once they've fulfilled their obligation of notifying the lessee by registered mail that they're in default and after a set period of time, the property becomes theirs.

3. Excess Proceeds:
Vtually every State is entitled to claim the excess proceeds, then Texas must be the exception to the rule. In fact, in Texas, if the excess proceeds are not claimed by the tenant within two years, the Storage facility is entitled to keep the excess proceeds of the sale. It might also be noted that there is no requirement to contact the tenant about any excess proceeds and it is their responsibility to contact the storage facility to claim the funds.

• * Actually, Texas is not the only exception, as there are at least a dozen states with similar laws, in which the storage owner may keep the unclaimed proceeds after a specific period of time.
  • * There are several other states that require the storage facility to basically hold the funds (for the tenant) forever, as there is no other specific statute to otherwise specify what may be done with the funds after any specific time. (I.E. The law only states that they must hold the excess proceeds.)
  • * There are even a couple of other states, which laws are quite ambiguous in the disposition of the excess proceeds.
Of the remaining states that do specify that funds must be turned over to a particular government entity...
  • * Some of states seize the funds and they become part of the state's or county's general fund (such as California),
  • * While other states hold the money under the Unclaimed Property statutes until such time the legal owner claims it from the state.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
trickblue;4896109 said:
The one that really scored on this show, albeit before it started, was Nablia Hannis...

She bought a locker once owned by Paris Hilton for $2,775 and then sold it to the website parisxposed.com for $2,000,000...

Apparently one of Hilton's business managers had lapsed on paying for the unit for several months and it went to auction without her knowledge at the time...

Daryl Sheets scored big as well. I think he had a rare comic book collection that priced today would have been $6 million. He wouldn't go into how much he sold it for, but it sounds like it was just under $1 million. I believe Daryl has also found legitimate Piccaso works as well.

YR

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4893907 said:
I actually like storage wars. Good late night TV when nothing is on and you can't sleep.

Ya me too, and Hardcore Pawn, and Pawn Stars

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Some money can be made, a friend of mine dad does it, although part time. Hes found some pretty rocking stuff. Hes no millionaire by any means.

I like that show where they bid for luggage at the airport too.

rkell87

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;4897568 said:

DallasCowpoke;4897863 said:
Wow, I would of never guessed that in a million years. I stand corrected.

But a search turned up this: which confirms this, although the storage co owner in most cases, is under no obligation to notify the lessee that funds exist.

Also, many sites I found w/ extended legalese, also mentioned the storage company owner is under almost no obligation to ever "auction off" the contents of a unit once they've fulfilled their obligation of notifying the lessee by registered mail that they're in default and after a set period of time, the property becomes theirs.
it is a legit scam that people pull but you have to do research into your storage places policy and state laws but I know she is in houston so it would work. These scams are usually pulled on smaller mom and pop places because they don't run back ground checks or really verify the info you give them. If you do it at a chain you have to give your real info and your data is in their network and you won't be given a locker at any of their locations for then on. On top of that if the facility has your real info then the person who buys your fake locker set up can go grease the guy at the front desk for your name/address and pay you a visit if they are so inclined.

but yes, if a locker is auctioned in this country the storage place only has a right to back rent. And you are right, it is up to the storage place to let you know that you have some money but if you pull this scam then you know that you have money coming so you know to go and collect it.

BlueStar3398

Reaction score
I have always thought that show was fake.

I know someone that was in a horrible car accident and lost all of her belongings in storage while she was in the hospital. She was in the process of finding a new place to move when the accident happened. Everything she owned was in a storage unit and she missed a couple of rental payments. They locked her out and she never got her stuff back.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I hated to see Hester go, he was definitely my favorite, and he seemed genuine. My favorite reality show on TV, well actually my only.

KoRnyBrad

I am the Bat!
Reaction score
rkell87;4896179 said:
she was a stripper before so she probably already had fake breasts. I'm kinda thinking it might be that nabila chick that they tried to make a regular on the show.

...wait, what?!:lmao2:

rkell87

Reaction score
Clove;4899166 said:
I hated to see Hester go, he was definitely my favorite, and he seemed genuine. My favorite reality show on TV, well actually my only.

i'm into bearing sea gold and gold rush as far as reality tv goes. I think bearing sea is about as real as it gets, I think a few of the crews have been paired up to create certain dynamics for drama but I believe for the time being that what is happening is genuine. Gold rush my be a little more scripted, mainly the whole hoffman crew may be the shows doing, and the show probably had something to do with fred buying that claim from under the hoffmans. Parker might be the only one act of his own accord but the work, struggle, and obstacles faced/overcame I believe to be true, they don't make it look easy like anybody could do it like on storage wars

Diogenes

Reaction score
'Storage Wars': Darrell Sheets Gets Biggest Payout In Show's History

It was the biggest payout in the history of "Storage Wars." Darrell Sheets invested $3,600 into a storage locker, which is a lot of money to take on a gamble. But the show clearly saved the best for last, as the season finale revealed a find no one could have anticipated.

The locker was filled with original art by Frank Guttierez. An expert estimated that the collection was worth approximately $300,000, flooring Darrell.

Read the rest and see the video here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/19/storage-wars-biggest-payout-ever-video_n_2328407.html

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
Diogenes;4909638 said:
'Storage Wars': Darrell Sheets Gets Biggest Payout In Show's History

It was the biggest payout in the history of "Storage Wars." Darrell Sheets invested $3,600 into a storage locker, which is a lot of money to take on a gamble. But the show clearly saved the best for last, as the season finale revealed a find no one could have anticipated.I

The locker was filled with original art by Frank Guttierez. An expert estimated that the collection was worth approximately $300,000, flooring Darrell.

Read the rest and see the video here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/19/storage-wars-biggest-payout-ever-video_n_2328407.html
I watched this episode. I had a chuckle because clearly it was faked.