CFZ Sturm was dead wrong about Dak Prescott

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is why I offered my help.

Understanding and effectively using sarcasm is clearly not one of your strong points.

I can help you with that. Pro Bono of course. Just pay it forward down the road if you get the opportunity.
They don't let you out much.

khiladi

Reaction score

You’ve been sucked.

There is nothing to be sucked about for myself, as this does nothing other than making Dak, who already had a fragile psyche, worried. Marketing having to play cleanup for Jerry, because it’s obvious what statements like do. This does nothing to convince me this was some marketing scheme, as fans saw they can win with Rush.

Last edited:

jgboys1

Reaction score
You people are obsessed.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Dak played like garbage in Week 1. He’s been a good QB for most of his career. We’ll see how he responds when he gets healthy.

In the meantime, go Cooper Rush and go Cowboys!

That’s literally all there is to it.

Keep up the cult-ish behavior though. Your anti-Dak crusade depends on it!!!!!!!
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
I agree. While I am not a Dak fan and I think he is pretty bad, I am going to see how he responds after coming back form this injury. I am not expecting much but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

khiladi

Reaction score
Your a good writer clear in thought but I’d say it was understandable why FO got behind Dak considering the way he handled his rookie campaign

You can argue that, but they didn’t even let Romo practice with the team, while looking light years better in practice. The argument was that Dak is not a practice player. Couple in the Vikings and Giants game, it was a horrible decision that had long term repercussions. If they wanted the hot hand, then you still got to let Romo compete the next year for his job back. It’s obvious they thought they could get by on the cheap.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
You can argue that, but they didn’t even let Romo practice with the team, while looking light years better in practice. The argument was that Dak is not a practice player. Couple in the Vikings and Giants game, it was a horrible decision that had long term repercussions. If they wanted the hot hand, then you still got to let Romo compete the next year for his job back. It’s obvious they thought they could get by on the cheap.

Are we still whining about this? A strong gust of wind was knocking Romo out for the season by that point. His body was done.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
"Dak is quite possibly the most over-rated player in NFL history"
That statement alone tells us the mentality Sturm has.
Are we still whining about this? A strong gust of wind was knocking Romo out for the season by that point. His body was done.
Thanks to those wondrful Olines.

khiladi

Reaction score
I asked this the other day. I still dont know.

Is Dak untradeable at 40M? The NFL cap rules I quickly read the other day said the salary goes to the new team if a player is traded. Is there still a cap hit to Dallas? Or would no team touch Dak is Dallas was willing to trade him because its a major red flag? Or is Jerry unwilling to admit mistake by trading Dak?

I get that cutting him there would be cap hits....but trading him?

His agent suckered Jerry into a no trade clause. After coming off a broken leg….

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
In the Atlantic, Sturm wrote an article entitled, “Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is 29, It is Time to Win.” Since we can’t post from that magazine as per the filter on this forum, I suggest you Google it and read it. The reality is Sturm has been the typical fanboy of Dak and he often took jabs at Romo at Dak’s expense. But even Sturm can’t make excuses anymore for Dak.

Sturm has been holding on for years the notion that Dak has been getting harshly criticized because Romo fans, since their boy Romk got the blame, they would make sure Dak got it worse, which is a crock of garbage, as the excuses for Romo were legitimate, while the excuses for Dak were not. In the August 12th article in the Atlantic Sturm basically says Dak is 29 and he no longer has excuses.

The main point I want to emphasize, and it’s clear to anybody reading it, what “the haters” were saying is true and that “teams figured the offense out”, though in reality is was, Dak is quite possibly the most over-rated player in NFL history. Sturm points out in weeks 1 to 8, Dallas was the most blitzed team in the league. After that, teams stopped bringing the pressure and Dak didn’t see the man coverage looks regularly, and the offense took a nosedive. They were the 22nd most blitzed team after week 8 when all was said and done. Dallas offense saw just as much cover 2 and cover 3 defenses as any other team from then on. The 49ers played zone defense as a staple and could get pressure without bringing extra rushers and we all know how bad Dak looked. If it weren’t for JG almost giving them the game with one of his typical awful INTs he is known for that essentially gave Dallas the ball in scoring position the game would have been a complete blowout. Even Sturm admits the wins in the last half of the season were against bums and Eagles junior varsity team and were empty calories, per how on words.

Facts are we’ve been saying Dak sucks against zone coverage, to the point he becomes a mediocrity. What masked his warts against zone is his lack of risk-taking so he resorts to short dump offs and check-downs which use to keep the INTs down. He’s “mentally weak” as a QB. He’s been getting away with it, because teams were forced to bring pressure because of how good the OL and RG were. I was saying I don’t even know why defenses do it do much even during those days, because the data was always there. Dak is horrible at anticipating his WRs getting open and can’t process the whole field. He goes into a shell against and takes the check-down. Teams use to give way too much respect to the OL and RG to the point they made it much easier for Dak to look better than he actually was with all the explosive talent he has around him.

What do people expect Moore to do? Sturm even admitted it’s the same trend with Dak with each year, including blaming the coaches. He said what we said, which is the same red zone issues pop up and his performance of third down is abysmal. He also basically said the “young and developing QB” excuse no longer holds.

I mean yeah, this owner is dysfunctional and nothing signals dysfunction more than making Dak your franchise QB. So we can admit that Jerry Jones is a buffoon, but we can also admit Dak exemplifies the buffoonery of Jerry. We can also admit that Sturm was dead wrong about his boy Dak Prescott.
I'm over Dak it's been 7 years he just got unlucky and got a significant injury the one year he was actually on his arc to improve and has regressed ever since... it's like a stock in a bear market at this point I don't think we'll ever see that ATH where he was playing MVP level those 4 games - RUNNING and throwing the football previous to breaking his ankle

FanofJerry

Reaction score
His agent suckered Jerry into a no trade clause. After coming off a broken leg….

Hey, man...thanks for replying if that is actually fact information. If so...one last question...

Does the no trade cause a cap hit if Dak were traded? If Dak was willing to waive that clause and be traded...is there financial ramifications?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Well how do you beat this coverage then, Mr. Football?

Why did the less talented defenses not see the same success after this blueprint was established?

Hint: The same coverage befuddled Patty vs the Bengals in the playoffs. Same issues exist on Chiefs. But not ALL of the same issues.

Let's see if you can start connecting some synapses and a light goes on for you.
Seriously?

You beat these coverages by studying and understanding them so you recognize what is going on as best you can while it is going on. You use this understanding to get a head start on deciding what the best option is likely to be, then you look for that option and put the ball where it needs to be. This requires a solid understanding of what you are seeing and the ability to quickly process, quickly decide and quickly execute with confidence in your decision.

A less talented defense will make it easier to do this as the QB may not be pressured so quickly, the secondary not so solid in their execution and other just as obvious reasons.

Of course it goes without saying that it is unreasonable to expect any QB to just have his way with any defense trying to confuse him with their coverage packages. Different DC's bring different nuances and they certainly are smart enough to consider the tendencies they have established and use them against you when appropriate.

The bottom line is, a QB who studies the opposition he is going to face to the point he can quickly process, recognize and anticipate, and who has the confidence and ability required to make the throws to the spots they need to be put, will be more successful than the QB who is slower to process, lacking in understanding and anticipation, and lacking in confidence.

Again though, it's not easy to have your way with a quality pro defense and even the best QB's will certainly not win every play. Clearly though, some QB's are much better than others at it. Dak has shown, so far that it is his kryptonite.

Ken

Reaction score
Seriously?

You beat these coverages by studying and understanding them so you recognize what is going on as best you can while it is going on. You use this understanding to get a head start on deciding what the best option is likely to be, then you look for that option and put the ball where it needs to be. This requires a solid understanding of what you are seeing and the ability to quickly process, quickly decide and quickly execute with confidence in your decision.

A less talented defense will make it easier to do this as the QB may not be pressured so quickly, the secondary not so solid in their execution and other just as obvious reasons.

Of course it goes without saying that it is unreasonable to expect any QB to just have his way with any defense trying to confuse him with their coverage packages. Different DC's bring different nuances and they certainly are smart enough to consider the tendencies they have established and use them against you when appropriate.

The bottom line is, a QB who studies the opposition he is going to face to the point he can quickly process, recognize and anticipate, and who has the confidence and ability required to make the throws to the spots they need to be put, will be more successful than the QB who is slower to process, lacking in understanding and anticipation, and lacking in confidence.

Again though, it's not easy to have your way with a quality pro defense and even the best QB's will certainly not win every play. Clearly though, some QB's are much better than others at it. Dak has shown, so far that it is his kryptonite.
Why wasn't it his kryptonite until last year though?

What changed?

Ah yes, it was the gimp we had in the backfield that no one respected or feared. It was the predictable playcalls and predictable route combos. Most of the time, only a few options were even being run into these pass heavy defenses.

Most of the time, our wr's ran sloppy routes.

Most of the time, they dropped the balls that were thrown to them.

Most of the time we were in bad spots from penalties or good plays were called back from them.

Most of the time the defenses handled our run games with 4 man fronts.

See, the Bengals confused and confuzzled Patty with this same defense in the playoffs. He was running around and spinning and dancing into 10 second + sacks because of it. Now they do have a good defense...but not a better defense than SF, who as Sturm stated in his now bible article, was perfectly suited for this type of defense.

So, sure, Dak could be better in some of these situations. The underlying issue is an ineffective scheme, lack of running game, and penalties.

khiladi

Reaction score
Hey, man...thanks for replying if that is actually fact information. If so...one last question...

Does the no trade cause a cap hit if Dak were traded? If Dak was willing to waive that clause and be traded...is there financial ramifications?

Dak can waive it, like Russell Wilson. I’m not sure the hit if he is traded, but I think it would mean they’d just take on the contract, not that there would be a hit. Maybe somebody else can chime in. There is a big hit if he’s released I think.

Shane612

Reaction score
It goes to show you that, more often than not, even so called experts are wrong.
You can't accurately predict the outcome of a young player, regardless of his/her pedigree. Too many variables to do so.
Oh, and can we stop using term like "elite" to describe player like current cowboys' #4?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Im not taking sides...and maybe I am posting without reading you guys' entire conversation...

But...if I am understanding correctly...I agree with Ken's questions here: Why did Dak have success before until now?

Injured leg? Loaded offense?

I guess I am questioning the legitimacy of NFL coordinators if it took 6 years to figure Dak out. It took 6 years to figure out Dak sucks against zone?

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Simple, bro.

You just choose not to open them, read them and post in them.

You're welcome.

Seems so simple.

When I seen the Romo vs, Dak thread pop up a week or so ago I knew it wasn't gonna be anything I wanted to read.

So I never went in there. Wasn't really that hard either.

People should have all kinds of opinions on here, I don't care whether I agree or not, and I'm sure they don't care either. But this whole "get rid of something because it makes my feelings hurt" is irritating as all get out.

Swagger

Reaction score
Dak can waive it, like Russell Wilson. I’m not sure the hit if he is traded, but I think it would mean they’d just take on the contract, not that there would be a hit. Maybe somebody else can chime in. There is a big hit if he’s released I think.
I was thinking what teams might come in for him. Realistically Jerry wouldn't deal him to an NFC East team. That leaves the likes of the Titans, Texans, Colts, Patriots, Falcons, Panthers, Saints and Seahawks.

In terms of teams that would appeal to Prescott whilst the Colts are way overrated, they play in an average division so the Titans and Texans may also be of interest. The Saints still have a good defense and some pieces on offense. I think Prescott would be a back breaker for a team trading for him but they wouldn't realise until it's too late!

FanofJerry

Reaction score

I speculate Dallas might be in the market to trade him based on:

1) It took 2 years to negotiate his last deal. Odd with a owner willing to pay players...especially at important positions. Seems as though there was some reluctance to pay him.

2) The weird/odd media questions to players building up Dak's arm this training camp...just really really odd to me. It wasnt one media session...it was multiple that they keyed in on this.

3) The first game seemed to be a set up for Dak to prove himself and he failed. The abandoning the run early in a game that was never more than a 2 possession game indicated that Moore was directed to make Dak prove himself. Total speculation, though.

4) The multiple tv heads making the weird/odd but what seems like on purpose comments about Rush not being afraid to throw the ball. This wasnt just Romo saying it...ive heard numerous others say this. Its odd and seems to be directed at a Dak flaw.

Ultimately...I think Dallas could trade Dak and a few teams would be interested. Which is why I was asking for clarification on the cap hit stuff. Seems like Dallas can trade him without cap ramifications....so why are people saying it doesnt make financial sense to move on from Dak until 2024?