CFZ Sturm was dead wrong about Dak Prescott

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
In the Athletic, Sturm wrote an article entitled, “Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is 29, It is Time to Win.” Since we can’t post from that magazine as per the filter on this forum, I suggest you Google it and read it. The reality is Sturm has been the typical fanboy of Dak and he often took jabs at Romo at Dak’s expense. But even Sturm can’t make excuses anymore for Dak.

Sturm has been holding on for years the notion that Dak has been getting harshly criticized because Romo fans, since their boy Romk got the blame, they would make sure Dak got it worse, which is a crock of garbage, as the excuses for Romo were legitimate, while the excuses for Dak were not. In the August 12th article in the Athletic Sturm basically says Dak is 29 and he no longer has excuses.

The main point I want to emphasize, and it’s clear to anybody reading it, what “the haters” were saying is true and that “teams figured the offense out”, though in reality is was, Dak is quite possibly the most over-rated player in NFL history. Sturm points out in weeks 1 to 8, Dallas was the most blitzed team in the league. After that, teams stopped bringing the pressure and Dak didn’t see the man coverage looks regularly, and the offense took a nosedive. They were the 22nd most blitzed team after week 8 when all was said and done. Dallas offense saw just as much cover 2 and cover 3 defenses as any other team from then on. The 49ers played zone defense as a staple and could get pressure without bringing extra rushers and we all know how bad Dak looked. If it weren’t for JG almost giving them the game with one of his typical awful INTs he is known for that essentially gave Dallas the ball in scoring position the game would have been a complete blowout. Even Sturm admits the wins in the last half of the season were against bums and Eagles junior varsity team and were empty calories, per how on words.

Facts are we’ve been saying Dak sucks against zone coverage, to the point he becomes a mediocrity. What masked his warts against zone is his lack of risk-taking so he resorts to short dump offs and check-downs which use to keep the INTs down. He’s “mentally weak” as a QB. He’s been getting away with it, because teams were forced to bring pressure because of how good the OL and RG were. I was saying I don’t even know why defenses do it do much even during those days, because the data was always there. Dak is horrible at anticipating his WRs getting open and can’t process the whole field. He goes into a shell against and takes the check-down. Teams use to give way too much respect to the OL and RG to the point they made it much easier for Dak to look better than he actually was with all the explosive talent he has around him.

What do people expect Moore to do? Sturm even admitted it’s the same trend with Dak with each year, including blaming the coaches. He said what we said, which is the same red zone issues pop up and his performance of third down is abysmal. He also basically said the “young and developing QB” excuse no longer holds.

I mean yeah, this owner is dysfunctional and nothing signals dysfunction more than making Dak your franchise QB. So we can admit that Jerry Jones is a buffoon, but we can also admit Dak exemplifies the buffoonery of Jerry. We can also admit that Sturm was dead wrong about his boy Dak Prescott.
Agree, or not (which I generally agree)...
You are a treasure to read.

Thank you for your well thought out posts and verbose prose with a point.

Very enjoyable, even when I don't agree with you.

StarLord

Reaction score
I was thinking what teams might come in for him. Realistically Jerry wouldn't deal him to an NFC East team. That leaves the likes of the Titans, Texans, Colts, Patriots, Falcons, Panthers, Saints and Seahawks.

In terms of teams that would appeal to Prescott whilst the Colts are way overrated, they play in an average division so the Titans and Texans may also be of interest. The Saints still have a good defense and some pieces on offense. I think Prescott would be a back breaker for a team trading for him but they wouldn't realise until it's too late!

So we trade Dak to the Saints for Payton and a pick...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Until SF simply outmuscled us on both sides of the ball in the playoffs last year, there didn’t seem to be meant limits on Dak or the offense other than penalties and Moore’s occasional crazy calls. We didn’t have the #1 offense because we ran the ball well.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I think you haven't won much in your life because you gloat and take victory laps after the first quarter lol

For a refresher: (Bet is to winning more of these 5 categories)

2021: BOLD denotes Leader, Italics denotes tie.

Dak (16 games)- 68.8%, 4449 yards, 37 TDs, 10 Ints, 104.2 rating
Patty- (17 games) 66.3%, 4839, 37 Tds, 13 ints, 98.5 rating.
Patty- 4 seasons as a starter this is his 5th...4 consecutive AFC championship games..2 SB appearances and 1 SB win

So as you can see, this isn't over yet and teams are just now figuring out they can clamp down on the KC weapons because they can't run by them consistently. Keep gloating.

Fixed it for you

Nav22

Reaction score
Watson was given a horrible contract and the Browns were desperate hence the bad contract.

Dak's contract gave him $126M out of $160M guaranteed through at least 2024 and his highest cap hit amount is $52.1M

Cousins contract gave him $35M guaranteed (did a 1 year contract extension) and MINN can be out after 2023 and the highest cap hit amount is $36.5M

Carr's contract gave him $65M guaranteed and LV can be out after the 2022 season and his highest cap hit amount is $43.8M (in 2024 which he will likely never see)

Dak is ranked 6th in terms of highest value paid QB contracts....Watson is 5th, Carr is 12th, and Cousins is 17th.

So if you think Dak deserves a contract with a higher value than Rodgers (8th), Burrow (15th), Herbert (15th), or Brady (29th) then have at it.
Cult Boy is back with his alternate reality!!!

You’re WEIRD.

LOLLLLL at you including Burrow and Herbert, who are on their ROOKIE CONTRACTS.

Here’s the actual list. Dak’s not above Rodgers, Cult Boy.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp...terbacks-2022-salary/u3fhtwvx88tkvklijimo2fzh

Ken

Reaction score
You really made that bet? I’m not a Dak hater I also believe he’s a top 10 QB but what On earth were you thinking?
(Bet is to winning more of these 5 categories)

2021: BOLD denotes Leader, Italics denotes tie.

Dak (16 games)- 68.8%, 4449 yards, 37 TDs, 10 Ints, 104.2 rating
Patty- (17 games) 66.3%, 4839, 37 Tds, 13 ints, 98.5 rating.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Nav22

Reaction score
An 'adult' calling people online weird and cultists.....calling other people weird. Hmmmm....
“DURRRR DAK’S MAKING MORE THAN AARON RODGERS!!!

THAT’S THE REALITY I CHOOSE TO LIVE IN, NO MATTER WHAT THE ACTUAL CONTRACTS SAY!!!”

Thanks for the laughs, CB. You never disappoint.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Reactions: Ken

SackMaster

Reaction score
What happens when Dak is gone and the Romo link is broken?

Are they fans of the actual team again or are they lost?
That's a great question for the "Dak haters" to answer as well.

When Dak is gone, will you actually care more about the Dallas Cowboys winning, or them being right?

Like you said in another post:
It's much more respectable compared to the ones we have around here that are 100% willing to go down with the Dak ship.
I will NEVER give a crap about "being respectable" when it comes to supporting the Dallas Cowboys.

I'll keep riding the Dak-wagon, until he is no longer the QB.
Just like I rode the Romo-wagon, untill his body gave up on him.
Just like I rode the Carter-wagon, until his poor decision making ended his time in Dallas.

I much rather be
  • Wrong in the Support of the Cowboys and they don't win
    • vs.
  • Being Right in opposition Cowboys success and they still lose

Then again, my ego isn't so wrapped up in being right all the time either.

After all, I did not like or believe in Jason Garrett during his tenure in Dallas, but EVERY FREAKING YEAR I wished he would prove me wrong.

Do you wish Dak would prove the "Dak haters" wrong? If not, then the problem isn't with the team.

JMHO

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Man the original post was a well thought out but biased opinion piece.

erod

Reaction score
In the Athletic, Sturm wrote an article entitled, “Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is 29, It is Time to Win.” Since we can’t post from that magazine as per the filter on this forum, I suggest you Google it and read it. The reality is Sturm has been the typical fanboy of Dak and he often took jabs at Romo at Dak’s expense. But even Sturm can’t make excuses anymore for Dak.

Sturm has been holding on for years the notion that Dak has been getting harshly criticized because Romo fans, since their boy Romk got the blame, they would make sure Dak got it worse, which is a crock of garbage, as the excuses for Romo were legitimate, while the excuses for Dak were not. In the August 12th article in the Athletic Sturm basically says Dak is 29 and he no longer has excuses.

The main point I want to emphasize, and it’s clear to anybody reading it, what “the haters” were saying is true and that “teams figured the offense out”, though in reality is was, Dak is quite possibly the most over-rated player in NFL history. Sturm points out in weeks 1 to 8, Dallas was the most blitzed team in the league. After that, teams stopped bringing the pressure and Dak didn’t see the man coverage looks regularly, and the offense took a nosedive. They were the 22nd most blitzed team after week 8 when all was said and done. Dallas offense saw just as much cover 2 and cover 3 defenses as any other team from then on. The 49ers played zone defense as a staple and could get pressure without bringing extra rushers and we all know how bad Dak looked. If it weren’t for JG almost giving them the game with one of his typical awful INTs he is known for that essentially gave Dallas the ball in scoring position the game would have been a complete blowout. Even Sturm admits the wins in the last half of the season were against bums and Eagles junior varsity team and were empty calories, per how on words.

Facts are we’ve been saying Dak sucks against zone coverage, to the point he becomes a mediocrity. What masked his warts against zone is his lack of risk-taking so he resorts to short dump offs and check-downs which use to keep the INTs down. He’s “mentally weak” as a QB. He’s been getting away with it, because teams were forced to bring pressure because of how good the OL and RG were. I was saying I don’t even know why defenses do it do much even during those days, because the data was always there. Dak is horrible at anticipating his WRs getting open and can’t process the whole field. He goes into a shell against and takes the check-down. Teams use to give way too much respect to the OL and RG to the point they made it much easier for Dak to look better than he actually was with all the explosive talent he has around him.

What do people expect Moore to do? Sturm even admitted it’s the same trend with Dak with each year, including blaming the coaches. He said what we said, which is the same red zone issues pop up and his performance of third down is abysmal. He also basically said the “young and developing QB” excuse no longer holds.

I mean yeah, this owner is dysfunctional and nothing signals dysfunction more than making Dak your franchise QB. So we can admit that Jerry Jones is a buffoon, but we can also admit Dak exemplifies the buffoonery of Jerry. We can also admit that Sturm was dead wrong about his boy Dak Prescott.
Great post, and yes, Sturm is looking for a trap door to bail out on Dak. He knows the garbage numbers can no longer make his case.

Dak is lost. Zone coverage might as well be Mandarin Chinese. And the league LOVES playing against him because he's so easy to defend.

Rush is exposing that. Dak is just a pedestrian starting QB making a kings ransom.

erod

Reaction score
Why wasn't it his kryptonite until last year though?

What changed?

Ah yes, it was the gimp we had in the backfield that no one respected or feared. It was the predictable playcalls and predictable route combos. Most of the time, only a few options were even being run into these pass heavy defenses.

Most of the time, our wr's ran sloppy routes.

Most of the time, they dropped the balls that were thrown to them.

Most of the time we were in bad spots from penalties or good plays were called back from them.

Most of the time the defenses handled our run games with 4 man fronts.

See, the Bengals confused and confuzzled Patty with this same defense in the playoffs. He was running around and spinning and dancing into 10 second + sacks because of it. Now they do have a good defense...but not a better defense than SF, who as Sturm stated in his now bible article, was perfectly suited for this type of defense.

So, sure, Dak could be better in some of these situations. The underlying issue is an ineffective scheme, lack of running game, and penalties.
These threads wouldn't be complete without Baghdad Bob chiming in.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak's legacy is yet to be seen as complete enough to safely make any final judgments on it, imho. I think he'll return to establish himself more decisively in that respect. It's, also entirely possible that his injures have caught up with him. Let's also hope to witness Cooper Rush establishing himself as a good QB backup, rather than merely okay.

Section446

Reaction score
Dak's legacy is yet to be seen as complete enough to safely make any final judgments on it, imho. I believe he'll return to establish himself more decisively in that respect. It's entirely possible that his injures have caught up with him. I'm also hoping to see Cooper Rush establish himself as a good QB backup, rather than simply okay.
He's had 6 full years, about to 7. How much more time does he need to establish his "legacy"? His legacy is already set, he's a below-average QB that needs elite talent around him to have success.