Sully's Top 5

Sully

Reaction score
Being a Dallas Cowboys fan since 1977, I will rank my Top 5 starting QBs:

#1 ~ Troy Aikman:
Before I get rolling on this, football is a team sport. When QBs want the biggest contracts on a football team then they will receive the highs and lows. So with that, Aikman was the general that got THE TEAM to 4 NFC Conference games, 3 Superbowls and WON 3 Superbowls, driving the bus of the "Team of the 90s". No, he will not lead the franchise history in 'stats', but stats are for players contracts. Fans want WINS and what matter to us fans is that Aikman leads the franchise in what matters to the fans --- playoff win that include the above mentioned.

#2 - Roger Staubach:
Roger "The Dodger" is still my favorite Cowboys player of all-time. Though #12 didn't drive the bus entirely in 1971, when Dallas won their 1st ever Superbowl, Staubach lead the Cowboys in 1977 and several other visits to Superbowls and NFC Conference games. Not winning as many Superbowls as Aikman, is why he will be in 2nd place. But under Stuabach, led many playoffs wins with a 11-6 record.
Staubach regular season record: 85-29 (.746) but its about the playoffs

#3 - Danny White:
Sure this will get shot down my most but as I have said, WINS are for the fans. Stats are for the players. Danny White, who took over after Staubach retired, still lead the Cowboys to three straight NFC Conference games. Heart-breaking he also suffered three loses and never got the Cowboys to a Superbowl. Danny White was also the punter and backup QB while Staubach played, White will not have any records with the Cowboys, had a 5-5 record in the playoffs. Because he got the team to 3 straight NFC Conference games, he falls at #3 spot.
Side Note: Danny White had a better regular season record than Romo: White with a 67.4% winning % vs. Romo 61.4% winning %. ( Prescott 64.0%)

#4 - Tony Romo:
Some will put Prescott here and that is fine but Tony was an UDFA and more exciting QB. He had some memorable games but
with a 2-4 playoff record, he can't and will not go any higher than 4th. Don't care about personal stats. He couldn't get the team to a single NFC Conference game

#5 - Dak Prescott:
Romo could be here but with a 2-5 playoff record and wanting to be paid like a Superbowl caliber QB without producing it on the field,
I can't put him any higher than 5th. Sure, Dak ( and Tony) will have higher stats like TDs passes, passing yards, etc..... neither could
transform the regular season stats into the playoffs. Both having memorable playoff crushing losses AT HOME while being huge favorites.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
I don’t remember dandy don much so it’s hard for me to say much there but i think id swap Roger and Troy otherwise I’m in agreement with the order

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
#5 - Dak Prescott:
Romo could be here but with a 2-5 playoff record and wanting to be paid like a Superbowl caliber QB without producing it on the field,
I can't put him any higher than 5th. Sure, Dak ( and Tony) will have higher stats like TDs passes, passing yards, etc..... neither could
transform the regular season stats into the playoffs. Both having memorable playoff crushing losses AT HOME while being huge favorites.
Dak being 5 isn't insane. I could see him as high as 3 and as low as 5. Certainly debatable.

But to say the reason why he's #5 is because "wants to be paid like a Superbowl caliber QB" is just nuts.

Sully

Reaction score

#1 ~ Troy Aikman:
Before I get rolling on this, football is a team sport. When QBs want the biggest contracts on a football team then they will receive the highs and lows. So with that, Aikman was the general that got THE TEAM to 4 NFC Conference games, 3 Superbowls and WON 3 Superbowls, driving the bus of the "Team of the 90s". No, he will not lead the franchise history in 'stats', but stats are for players contracts. Fans want WINS and what matter to us fans is that Aikman leads the franchise in what matters to the fans --- playoff win that include the above mentioned.

#2 - Roger Staubach:
Roger "The Dodger" is still my favorite Cowboys player of all-time. Though #12 didn't drive the bus entirely in 1971, when Dallas won their 1st ever Superbowl, Staubach lead the Cowboys in 1977 and several other visits to Superbowls and NFC Conference games. Not winning as many Superbowls as Aikman, is why he will be in 2nd place. But under Stuabach, led many playoffs wins with a 11-6 record.

#3 - Danny White:
Sure this will get shot down my most but as I have said, WINS are for the fans. Stats are for the players. Danny White, who took over after Staubach retired, still lead the Cowboys to three straight NFC Conference games. Heart-breaking he also suffered three loses and never got the Cowboys to a Superbowl. Danny White was also the punter and backup QB while Staubach played, White will not have any records with the Cowboys, had a 5-5 record in the playoffs. Because he got the team to 3 straight NFC Conference games, he falls at #3 spot.
Side Note: Danny White had a better regular season record than Romo: White with a 67.4% winning % vs. Romo 61.4% winning %. ( Prescott 64.0%)

#4 - Tony Romo:
Some will put Prescott here and that is fine but Tony was an UDFA and more exciting QB. He had some memorable games but
with a 2-4 playoff record, he can't and will not go any higher than 4th. Don't care about personal stats. He couldn't get the team to a single NFC Conference game

#5 - Dak Prescott:
***** Being a Dallas fan since '77 and seeing this franchise not playing a single NFC Conference game in 30 years is completely unsatisfactory.
Players want to be paid like they are Superbowl caliber players without producing that results ON THE FIELD. If they do, then FINE, be paid like a Superbowl player but until then, Dak, like Romo is a playoff QB that can't get further, so you get paid as such. Fans watch football and want their team to win. No, you can't win every week, every season or ever decade, but this is THE DALLAS COWBOYS and one NFC Conference game in 30 years would be nice. Because of that, sorry Dak/Tony, you can't rank any higher. Don't care who the QB is, if they can lead their team to a Superbowl, you rank higher than a player who can not.

RS12

Reaction score
What rule did the NFL change in 1978?

In 1978, the NFL further freed up receivers with the illegal contact rule, restricting contact beyond 5 yards downfield. And it loosened the interpretations of holding by offensive linemen by giving them permission to extend their arms and open their hands on pass plays.

Mikexike

Reaction score
***** Being a Dallas fan since '77 and seeing this franchise not playing a single NFC Conference game in 30 years is completely unsatisfactory.
Players want to be paid like they are Superbowl caliber players without producing that results ON THE FIELD. If they do, then FINE, be paid like a Superbowl player but until then, Dak, like Romo is a playoff QB that can't get further, so you get paid as such. Fans watch football and want their team to win. No, you can't win every week, every season or ever decade, but this is THE DALLAS COWBOYS and one NFC Conference game in 30 years would be nice. Because of that, sorry Dak/Tony, you can't rank any higher. Don't care who the QB is, if they can lead their team to a Superbowl, you rank higher than a player who can not.
Qb Stats along with regular season accomplishments and overall team play and team dept says other wise according to some. :muttley:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

#1 ~ Troy Aikman:

#2 - Roger Staubach:

#3 - Danny White:

#4 - Tony Romo:

#5 - Dak Prescott:
I'd put Roger first...other than that.....I agree.

Brax

Reaction score

#1 ~ Troy Aikman:

#2 - Roger Staubach:

#3 - Danny White:

#4 - Tony Romo:

#5 - Dak Prescott:
4 would be Don Meredith
Push the last 2 down 1space