Sully's Top 5

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
that makes no sense. it's a list of the best QB's in team history. they both managed to be the starting QB for extended period of time and like it or not they both put up similar or better numbers than peers of their era.
It’s just a weird take that people have who are old enough watch all these guys play. They will always feel their era is the best. 10 years from now Gen Z will claim Mahomes is the best QB to ever play…and they may be right but they missed a lot of greats play….

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Troy also had the pleasure of not getting drilled by 270 pound players who can bench press 600 pounds and run a 4.4 lol.
What? He was getting drilled by much bigger players who could come with much more malicious intent within the rules, with much less effective personal safety equipment while playing on astro turf stretched out over concrete.

He would have probably played as long as Brady in today's league.

Flinger

Reaction score
My top Six

1 - Roger Staubach
2 - Troy Aikman
3 - Don Meredith
4 - Danny White
5- Tony Romo
6 - Dak Prescott
Good post, Sully... I'm going with this...

I was 5 when the Cowboys began, so I've grown up with them - through thick and thin. Lived in Dallas 1/2 my life and now west of Philly 1/2 my life.

My views:

Roger and Troy? Couldn't get much better for the team built around them

Meredith and White? Came up short, but in the game. They never won a Championship, but not because of poor QB play.

Romo and Dak? Neither in the game - Championship game. Romo? Not because of poor QB play. He only had 60 minutes to play and overcome a defense and porous Offensive Line but just couldn't overcome his own team. Dak? Poor QB in every game they lost in the playoffs. It is a trend.

Romo and Dak? Or... Romo and Craig Morton? hum...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just take my word for it.
Well I do to an extent. But in the back of my head I always say that there are some pros and cons to playing now and playing then. The athletes are far better now and the game is more advanced….but the game was far more physical….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What? He was getting drilled by much bigger players who could come with much more malicious intent within the rules, with much less effective personal safety equipment while playing on astro turf stretched out over concrete.

He would have probably played as long as Brady in today's league.
There’s an argument for that. I could argue if Romo has his offensive line maybe he too would have had more success than he did.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Good post, Sully... I'm going with this...

I was 5 when the Cowboys began, so I've grown up with them - through thick and thin. Lived in Dallas 1/2 my life and now west of Philly 1/2 my life.

My views:

Roger and Troy? Couldn't get much better for the team built around them

Meredith and White? Came up short, but in the game. They never won a Championship, but not because of poor QB play.

Romo and Dak? Neither in the game - Championship game. Romo? Not because of poor QB play. He only had 60 minutes to play and overcome a defense and porous Offensive Line but just couldn't overcome his own team. Dak? Poor QB in every game they lost in the playoffs. It is a trend.

Romo and Dak? Or... Romo and Craig Morton? hum...
The Romo take is interesting….

McKDaddy

Reaction score
There’s an argument for that. I could argue if Romo has his offensive line maybe he too would have had more success than he did.
Having quite arguably the best Oline in history is no doubt an advantage for any QB. Of course, Troy had already taken a beating by the time that line got established.

Creeper

Reaction score
For me it is Roger,, Troy and White. Romo and Dak and the same guy really. Romo and Dak both had a great team or two and failed to get to the NFCC game.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It’s just a weird take that people have who are old enough watch all these guys play. They will always feel their era is the best. 10 years from now Gen Z will claim Mahomes is the best QB to ever play…and they may be right but they missed a lot of greats play….
It's only natural. Best you can do is try not to judge the ones you didn't see play yourself and only rank the ones you have seen.

Even the guys who played the game admit you can't compare across era's. Just too many factors besides individual talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Having quite arguably the best Oline in history is no doubt an advantage for any QB. Of course, Troy had already taken a beating by the time that line got established.
He but his success came with that line. I’ll never discredit a guy because he played with talent. Because I could use the argument that having Aikman allowed less stacked fronts for Emmitt to run through. And think it’s fair to do when compairing players but not to discredit. Troy deserves his due I just don’t think it’s as simple as put him on this team and he passes for 80 percent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For me it is Roger,, Troy and White. Romo and Dak and the same guy really. Romo and Dak both had a great team or two and failed to get to the NFCC game.
Saying Romo and Dak are the same guy is fighting words among this part lol.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He but his success came with that line. I’ll never discredit a guy because he played with talent. Because I could use the argument that having Aikman allowed less stacked fronts for Emmitt to run through. And think it’s fair to do when compairing players but not to discredit. Troy deserves his due I just don’t think it’s as simple as put him on this team and he passes for 80 percent.
It's easier for me. Troy was a tenacious competitor, processed info quickly, understood the game & was deadly accurate. With the rules slanted so much in the receiver's favor now a days which also allows the plays to take less time to develop, I have no problem at all saying he would eat defenses alive. He would get so many passes off quickly that it would negate the other teams pass rush even without an elite line in front of him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's easier for me. Troy was a tenacious competitor, processed info quickly, understood the game & was deadly accurate. With the rules slanted so much in the receiver's favor now a days which also allows the plays to take less time to develop, I have no problem at all saying he would eat defenses alive. He would get so many passes off quickly that it would negate the other teams pass rush even without an elite line in front of him.
I know. Like I said this is what we do for people who played before. We are always going to hold them in higher regard….there are many guys who are accurate and understand the game and don’t accomplish anything in this league.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My top Six

1 - Roger Staubach
2 - Troy Aikman
3 - Don Meredith
4 - Danny White
5- Tony Romo
6 - Dak Prescott
For me these are the right people, and the first 2 are in the right order. I think 3-6 can be reasonably argued in any order