Sunday Combine Thread

BigWillie

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1967638 said:
But the 100 scouts sitting in the stands are using hand held and for a good majority of them this is what they go by.

I'm not saying your wrong or NFL Network is wrong or McFadden is not fast.

Olympic records are broken because at that one point in time an athlete puts it all together and the moment is just right for him put forth his best performance but that's why they are records, it can't continue to be repeated.

McFadden ran the 40 of a lifetime. It's not his true speed. His next attempt he ran a 4.33. Maybe if he ran again he would post a 4.4 or maybe even a 4.28. Who knows.

My argument is not with if he is fast or not, it's with the variance in the process.

Dude, you have NO idea what you are talking about. Generally, hand-held times are anywhere from .18-.24 FASTER than an electronic time. When you hear these stories of guys 4.3's in pre-draft workouts, then they end up running 4.4's and 4.5's, this is why. When you hear the stories of guys running 4.1's (like a Randall Williams) this is why.

Go look at the college game where places like FSU, Miami, Florida, etc., always have this 'elite' speed. It is generally times souped up because of a hand-held time because they are almost always quicker.

Seriously, go read up on the difference in hand-held and electronic times. You will find out that it is rather common knowledge that hand-held times are almost always faster.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
TheCount;1967632 said:
There actually isn't that big a difference.

And yes, maybe averaging it out would be a good idea. Maybe that's why they make them run it twice, and then average it.

It's not that big of a difference because were talking about a impressive 40 time under 4.4 but if it were another player who went from a 4.4 to 5.0 it would be a big difference.

SDogo

Reaction score
tomson75;1967656 said:
On a consistent basis equals TWO runs?

You're unreal.

I'm saying every time he runs a 40 do you think he is going to hit 4.27?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1967658 said:
It's not that big of a difference because were talking about a impressive 40 time under 4.4 but if it were another player who went from a 4.4 to 5.0 it would be a big difference.
LOL. Are you unaware that there's a difference between the numbers .06 and .6?

SDogo

Reaction score
BigWillie;1967657 said:
Dude, you have NO idea what you are talking about. Generally, hand-held times are anywhere from .18-.24 FASTER than an electronic time. When you hear these stories of guys 4.3's in pre-draft workouts, then they end up running 4.4's and 4.5's, this is why. When you hear the stories of guys running 4.1's (like a Randall Williams) this is why.

Go look at the college game where places like FSU, Miami, Florida, etc., always have this 'elite' speed. It is generally times souped up because of a hand-held time because they are almost always quicker.

Seriously, go read up on the difference in hand-held and electronic times. You will find out that it is rather common knowledge that hand-held times are almost always faster.

It happens equally both ways.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1967658 said:

Yes, it would be.

...but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with "the process". It means the player didn't run as fast on his second attempt. I'm no Norman Einstein, but this seems like a pretty simple concept to me.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Bottom of the screen scrolling, Desean has fastest 40 times amongst WRs with a 4.35. Dexter Jackson ran a 4.37.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1967659 said:
I'm saying every time he runs a 40 do you think he is going to hit 4.27?

No, I don't. I think he's capable of doing so, however, and has proved it. How is this hard?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure I understand the debate here. McFadden ran fast...scorching fast the 1st go round. blazing fast the 2nd go round. He's going to be a top pick. So what's the point being debated?

SDogo

Reaction score
tomson75;1967665 said:
Yes, it would be.

...but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with "the process". It means the player didn't run as fast on his second attempt. I'm no Norman Einstein, but this seems like a pretty simple concept to me.

Your right, he did not run as fat on his second attempt so are you getting the guy that ran the 4.4 or the 5.0? Your getting a guy that CAN run a 4.4 but does that mean that's what your always going to get?

I guess I'm just on the Bill Cheater's way of thinking when it comes to evaluation. 40 times are good for reactions but when your setting your board you might as well throw them out because your never going to get the same result consistently. You want to see what a players does consistently, watch the tape.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1967674 said:
I'm not sure I understand the debate here. McFadden ran fast...scorching fast the 1st go round. blazing fast the 2nd go round. He's going to be a top pick. So what's the point being debated?

It's a pissing contest at this point, there is no point on either side to be made.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Vintage;1967666 said:
Bottom of the screen scrolling, Desean has fastest 40 times amongst WRs with a 4.35. Dexter Jackson ran a 4.37.

At 5'9" and 167 he better run a 3.9;)

SDogo

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1967673 said:
Tenths make you millions not one- hundredths.

4.40 or 4.49

one-hundredths makes you millions as well.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
TheCount;1967680 said:
It's a pissing contest at this point, there is no point on either side to be made.

How is this a pissing contest? The only thing lacking any sort of "point" here is your cute little post here.

SDogo

Reaction score
tomson75;1967667 said:
No, I don't. I think he's capable of doing so, however, and has proved it. How is this hard?

I'm not arguing that point.

BigWillie

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1967663 said:
It happens equally both ways.

Dude, you seriously do not understand anything to do with a 40 time. If you would just go read what people have studied for freakin' years, maybe then you would understand what everyone is trying to tell you.

Hand-held times have ALWAYS been faster. Ask anyone with a brain that has followed football and they will tell you this.

SDogo

Reaction score
tomson75;1967686 said:
How is this a pissing contest?

I just went, I don't stand a chance for at least another 3 hours.