Super Bowl or Bust. How long does Mike get?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was an ultimatum for this season. And most felt this team should be contending for a championship now.

Why would a coaching change move the Bar?
Again, no evidence of an ultimatum, but again, even if there was one it was an ultimatum to Garrett, saying Garrett’s time was up - not an ultimatum to every coach in the future.

You act like the fact GarretT had 9 years played no part in the frustration that led to his release, and further act as if there is no difference between a coach having 9 years and having 1 year. That’s plain nonsensical.

nobody

Reaction score
So, you believe this coaching change and hire was all about building for the future not expecting to win now?

I believe it was meant for a win now with a caveat. I don't think ANY coach could be brought in and have this team SB ready in one off-season, so if you mean by win now THIS season only? No. If by win now you mean this season or more likely next season? yes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again, no evidence of an ultimatum, but again, even if there was one it was an ultimatum to Garrett, saying Garrett’s time was up - not an ultimatum to every coach in the future.

You act like the fact GarretT had 9 years played no part in the frustration that led to his release, and further act as if there is no difference between a coach having 9 years and having 1 year. That’s plain nonsensical.
You’re wanting to bring that into the argument.

My point is based on what many think is a team that should be having more success if it had greater coaching.

If we have the coaching now then why wouldn’t we expect to win now?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, you believe this coaching change and hire was all about building for the future not expecting to win now?
Are you really being this obtuse? Of course the hire had a lot to do with trying to win now, but it’s nonsensical to suggest that McCarthy will have zero leash or that Super Bowls will be viewed and treated as so routine an expectation that a coach is considered a failure if he doesn’t win it within 1-2 years. No team ever has felt that way.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I mean... Doug Pederson took a 7-9 team to Super Bowl champs in two years all while having one of the most injury riddled squads you will ever see in your lifetime. Shouldn’t every newly hired coach be held to that standard going forward?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I believe it was meant for a win now with a caveat. I don't think ANY coach could be brought in and have this team SB ready in one off-season, so if you mean by win now THIS season only? No. If by win now you mean this season or more likely next season? yes.
Describe SB ready?

Many fans , critics and media believe this team is SB talented now. Why wouldn’t we expect success now?

Cebrin

Reaction score
After 20 years I just want to have a team people fear to play. We're a joke to our opponents.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you really being this obtuse? Of course the hire had a lot to do with trying to win now, but it’s nonsensical to suggest that McCarthy will have zero leash or that Super Bowls will be viewed and treated as so routine an expectation that a coach is considered a failure if he doesn’t win it within 1-2 years. No team ever has felt that way.
I didn’t say “ zero” leash. My over/ under is 2 years.

But the point is if we believe this is a team talented enough to contend for a championship and coaching was holding us back. Then why wouldn’t our expectations be elevated now? That’s very realistic.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
A lot depends on the bus driver QB. If he blows it again for the next 2 years McCarthy will know he needs to draft his QB. Then he gets another 2/3 years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re wanting to bring that into the argument.

My point is based on what many think is a team that should be having more success if it had greater coaching.

If we have the coaching now then why wouldn’t we expect to win now?
Should be having more success, especially over 9 years, and win a Super Bowl in year 1-2 arent the same thing.

Based on your logic, all those years the Patriots had talent and top coaching they should have won the Super Bowl every year for 10-12 years. But that’s a nonsense viewpoint. There is a reason they play the games instead of awarding the Super Bowl to the team that looks good on paper before the season starts.

The Super Bowl clearly isn’t guaranteed for any team any year, but you don’t seem to get that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My Bar has been elevated now with a SB caliber HC with a team talented enough not only hyped by our ownership and front office but fans, critics and media.

Why wouldn’t our expectations would elevated. Unfortunately expectations means pressure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Should be having more success, especially over 9 years, and win a Super Bowl in year 1-2 arent the same thing.

Based on your logic, all those years the Patriots had talent and top coaching they should have won the Super Bowl every year for 10-12 years. But that’s a nonsense viewpoint. There is a reason they play the games instead of awarding the Super Bowl to the team that looks good on paper before the season starts.

The Super Bowl clearly isn’t guaranteed for any team any year, but you don’t seem to get that.
Your comparison in tenures doesn’t apply to my argument here.

Either you believe like Jerry, Stephen , media, critics and many fans that this team is talented enough to contend now being held back by coaching or you don’t.

It had nothing to do with the last 9 years. Mike doesn’t need to build a team. He has one that most think should have been contending now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn’t say “ zero” leash. My over/ under is 2 years.

But the point is if we believe this is a team talented enough to contend for a championship and coaching was holding us back. Then why wouldn’t our expectations be elevated now? That’s very realistic.
by coaching standards, that is zero leash. Plush, you have even talked about him only lasting 1 year if he doesn’t get to the NFC Championship. That is zero leash buy any standard.

expectations are and should be elevated now, but that’s not the same as treating the Super Bowl Championship as a routine expectation - 2 shots and your out no matter how close the team gets and no matter how improved the team is.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One of the positives McCarthy brings is Jerry won’t be married to him like he was with Garrett. It’s going to be easy for Jerry to move on from McCarthy after three or four years if it’s not working out.

nobody

Reaction score
Describe SB ready?

Many fans , critics and media believe this team is SB talented now. Why wouldn’t we expect success now?

They believed that this year and look how wrong they were. They can believe whatever they want. I'll believe what I see with my own eyes. This team needs new talent in some key areas and leadership before it's SB ready.