Video: Supergirl TV Series Trailer

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Well, the show is not aimed at you. (or me). I see it squarely targetting the Twilight Crowd, ie 10-14 year old girls. Watching the pre-release publicity, there was definitely a lot of 'girl-power' focus. Probably a smart marketing decision too. Unplumbed demographic segment, and at the age that brand loyalties start being formed. It doesn't stop other folks from enjoying it too, of course. Just some... ;(

Superhero shows are not designed for one particular sex or race. Bottom line is making $$$ for any tv show.

Last edited:

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
This show is also aimed at the old Glee audience.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Superhero shows are not designed for one particular sex or race. Bottom line is making $$$ for any tv show.

Uh, TV shows are absolutely honed for their demographics. That's how the networks design their pitches to the advertisers. Superhero stuff gets the buy in from fans of the genre, but if they can add another group with money to spend....that does expand their bottom line.

Can't say anything about the Glee reference: That was during one of my not-watch-TV periods.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Uh, TV shows are absolutely honed for their demographics. That's how the networks design their pitches to the advertisers. Superhero stuff gets the buy in from fans of the genre, but if they can add another group with money to spend....that does expand their bottom line.

Can't say anything about the Glee reference: That was during one of my not-watch-TV periods.

Bottom line is all the demographics to get the MOST viewers. Bottom line is $$$. Not rocket science.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

No.

Yes.

Bottom line is all the demographics to get the MOST viewers. Bottom line is $$$. Not rocket science.

Two bottom lines? Lol just to give the illusion that YOU are right?

Winner = @arglebargle

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the new episode featuring red tornado wasn't too bad.
Agreed. Red Tornado could have looked more menacing though. The robot didn't need a human face. Perhaps the show was hoping for a slight physical semblance with The Vision from Age of Ultron..?

Regardless, I like the anger plot a lot. Kara's dealing with unresolved personal issues is a good storyline. Regular human beings with anger problems can get very nasty but a Kryptonian with an uncontrolled temper is far far worse.

I didn't like Calista Flockhart (sp?) playing Cat Grant at first but I'm a fan of hers now. The martini scene with Cat and Kara was very good. The show dealt with a real life contradiction that impacts women far more than men in the workplace. Good stuff. Cat's mother is a hoot too.

The only thing I didn't like was the premise behind the lead-in for the next episode. Depowered Kara is a good story idea but how she loses her powers seems weak to me.

arglebargle

Reaction score
lol. I'll take the expertise of people actually involved in tv shows over yours.

Apparently you actually don't.

Why do they want them? Lyle
Schwartz, head of marketplace analysis
at Media Edge, an ad-placement
company, explains very simply: “The
younger audience is worth more.” By
“worth more” he’s referring to that
group’s value to his clients, the people
with something to sell. And why is the
younger audience worth more? “The
older population is seen as brand loyal;
it’s harder to get them to change their
purchasing habits.”

www.tvquarterly.net/tvq_36_3/media/.../36.3Why_do_Advertisers.pdf

You are part of the loose group of TV watchers known in the industry as the 16 to 39 demographic; a seemingly disparate bunch but an endlessly analysed one. One whole free-to-air TV network has dedicated its energies to romancing your remote, and the others are also more than a little interested in how you use it.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/TV--Radio/The-perfect-TV-age/2005/03/09/1110160838599.html

When television writers discuss the success of a new show, they often refer to you as the "key 16 to 39s", the "cashed-up 16 to 39s" or the "coveted 16 to 39s" - the group whose patronage means gold for the network.

https://www.thewrap.com/cbs-waning-18-49-viewers-fewer-number-living-mom-and-dad-106756/

Poltrack says CNN's advertisers are increasingly looking for more specific audiences, such as men or women of a particular age. That goes against the conventional wisdom that advertisers want to target the youngest viewers possible so that they'll develop brand loyalty that will last years.

http://brandedcontent.adage.com/cableguide2013/article.php?id=355

Millennials, born after 1980 and currently running the age gamut from teenagers to those in their early 30s, are a force to be reckoned with in the media world. Cable is aggressively courting this young generation, which constitutes about 92 million people 12 to 34 years old, or about 68 million people in the coveted 18-to-34 demographic, according to Nielsen.

Etc.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Apparently you actually don't.

Wrong. I do.

I was told ONLY girls are geared for this show (younger audiences means both sexes). So you telling me the bottom line isn't profit. CBS doesn't care about profit? So if older viewers want to watch the show, CBS doesn't care about that demographic?

Tell me how the actors or actresses salaries are paid if money or profit from a show doesn't matter?

Last edited:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Wrong. I do.

I was told ONLY girls are geared for this show (younger audiences means both sexes). So you telling me the bottom line isn't profit. CBS doesn't care about profit? So if older viewers want to watch the show, CBS doesn't care about that demographic?

Tell me how the actors or actresses salaries are paid if money or profit from a show doesn't matter?

Sometimes you are wrong.... And it's ohhhhhhhh k.

Happens to everyone.....

Lol

Ps. By the way... You are getting crushed with facts and data.... Not just a "in my opinion" type thing

joseephuss

Reaction score
Wrong. I do.

Shows can easily be targeted toward a demographic even if that demographic isn't the one with the money. Disney and Nickelodeon make all types of shows targeted at younger viewers who then ask their parents for money to spend on the stuff they see during the commercials. I don't think Supergirl is targeted only towards young girls or the Glee audience. They are part of the target audience, but not the only part.

cml750

Reaction score
Meh, I thought this was the cheesiest one since the pilot.

kristie

Reaction score
the part of tonight's episode that shocked me was the revealation of who hank henshaw really is.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the part of tonight's episode that shocked me was the revealation of who hank henshaw really is.
The glowing red eyes and his association with the alien monitoring agency were red flags for a comic book nerd like me. I've always thought he was the Martian Manhunter. I would've been surprised if he had turned out to be someone else. :) Glad to see Kara have a heavy hitter on her side opposing her aunt and the Kryptonians.

Edit: To be honest, I thought Henshaw may have possibly been Icon as well but never really gave that guess any real consideration.

kristie

Reaction score
The glowing red eyes and his association with the alien monitoring agency were red flags for a comic book nerd like me. I've always thought he was the Martian Manhunter. I would've been surprised if he had turned out to be someone else. :) Glad to see Kara have a heavy hitter on her side opposing her aunt and the Kryptonians.

Edit: To be honest, I thought Henshaw may have possibly been Icon as well but never really gave that guess any real consideration.

i was thinking that henshaw was cyborg superman, but i'm glad he was revealed to be the martian manhunter.