Video: Supergirl TV Series Trailer

arglebargle

Reaction score
one thing I did like

the main character is not a mental basket case as virtually every other single one on TV today.

I don't know. 'I have super powers, but I didn't use them for 14 years so I'd fit in.' Sounds pretty screwy to me.

Just another slapdash example of their poor writing and conceptualization. But I suspect that we are not the market.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I don't know. 'I have super powers, but I didn't use them for 14 years so I'd fit in.' Sounds pretty screwy to me.

Just another slapdash example of their poor writing and conceptualization. But I suspect that we are not the market.

"Twenty-four-year-old Kara Zor-El, who was taken in by the Danvers family when she was 13 after being sent away from Krypton, must learn to embrace her powers after previously hiding them."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl_(U.S._TV_series)

Hmmm...24 minus 13, equals 14 years. Yup. (She was also away on the Phantom Zone, where Earth years aren't used). Great mental powers of subtraction she has.

Last edited:

arglebargle

Reaction score
Well, technically Superman (et al) has been so heavily retconned over the last 80 years that anything could be possible.

But it sure smacks of writers wanting to get from point A to point B, and throwing in 5 dumb things just to make it happen.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Well, technically Superman (et al) has been so heavily retconned over the last 80 years that anything could be possible.

But it sure smacks of writers wanting to get from point A to point B, and throwing in 5 dumb things just to make it happen.

Wonder if Supergirl is also gonna have Krypto come (as her pet dog). I bet he is mentally brighter.

burmafrd

Reaction score

if you consider that screwy then your definition of mentally mixed up is way different then anyone elses.

Fitting in is something that seems universal no matter what the species. So once again why is that so bad?

You clearly hate the whole thing so you will put the worst possible spin on everything.

When you look at Batman for example- how can you possibly compare her to him as regards screwy. And then once you look at virtually every 'hero' Hollywood has created/adapted/whatever over the last 30 or so years you tell me she is not comparatively sane.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Superheros are all the rage right now. It would have worked if they did it right. I was excited and I am a 46 year old man. I have liked almost every superhero movie or TV show that has ever come out with just a few exceptions like Man of Steel. Sadly, they screwed it up big time.

I feel it was a bad choice. Another character that has never made money.

Also, you are comparing it to movies. This is a badly written TV show. Hard to believe CBS even let a pilot this bad air.

A bad idea is a bad idea, movies, television, wherever.

I agree that I'm also shocked that a network as smart as CBS made a blunder this big.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I enjoyed it. I don't take these shows as seriously as many of you. I just watch the shows to relax and be entertained. I thought the first episode was a little far fetched, but nonetheless.......I enjoyed it.

I was expecting to see Superman in the pilot to make a cameo, but that didn't happen. I liked the twist with her older sister. I am not sure how I feel about Jimmy Olson going from a nerdy, goofy looking white guy to a tall, attractive black guy.....now if the black guy would have had an erkel appearance I could buy it a bit more.

I will continue watching for now.....If it bores me the way Agents of Shield did after the first 5 or 6 episodes, then I will call it quits.....but for now, I am in.

I am looking forward to Daredevil season 2....and I sure hope they get a Punisher series on Netflix soon.

Lodeus

Reaction score
^Agreed

It'll probably be something I'll binge watch though.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
It's got potential, looks a little campy, but worth checking out.

not even gonna try. between the "campy" and bush saying "SHE'S HOT!" and the complete and utter failure of supergirl as a character with any potential has forever sat beside she hulk, dazzler and scrappy doo.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
This is why I am just turned off by DC.

Too many things to keep up with. Or maybe not...? I don't know what is supposed to fit with what.

Does "Gotham" fit in with the new batman in Dawn of Justice? If not, why do I care about these origins and history?

Are the flash and arrow going to be in the same universe as supergirl? Is this the Same supergirl as dawn of justice is projected to have? Are the flash and arrow going to be in the new movies? If not, do I have to sit through another origin story? If so, do I have to go back and watch a ton of 1 hr episodes to enjoy the movies?

Either it's too convoluted or over saturated.

Plus I've seen the superman and batman stories told way too many times by now. Even their villains stories have been done too many times.

lob in spiderman and you've got super-over-saturation.

DC to me has *always* been convoluted. they seem to make people green for no apparent reason and the way they make "aliens" is just "hey give him a fish head" or something. even the relaunch not long ago only produced a whacked up version of the joker and his bae. (there, i used that word once in my life now may it forever go away) and their heros always "campy" and just so hard to identify with.

i mean, should *ANY* superhero be forced to say SHAZAM before dawning tights and being a 2nd class superman? hell that raised their own family of shazams and even the dog got into the action.

the dog.

they have some potential but i think what you're saying from what i see is just that there's no continuity to what they're doing. just telling a lot of non related stories with their only common ground being we all saw them as kids.

marvel on the other hand ties their movies and stories together.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I've watched both episodes and I'm not going to take it seriously... because it's not even trying to be serious. It's campy. No surprise. I should have taken the previews for granted.

The show targets an audience who appreciates light-hearted, feel good stories. That's great but I think there is an audience for comic book-to-big/small screen drama/comedy that's not stuck in 1960's/1970's shallow entertainment. It's 2015. What's wrong with relating comic book material more closely with real world relevance? The comic book industry grew up decades ago. Will DC eventually match it's television adaptations with it's literary versions? The answer seems solidly no in my opinion.

My ranking of current DC/Marvel television shows in terms of entertainment maturity:

1. Daredevil (Just starting to get into this one)
2. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD
3. Agent Carter
4. Gotham (This is a good show like Batman Begins was a good movie. Maybe it will someday take a fundamental leap like Begins to The Dark Knight did.)
5. Arrow (...and I don't even regularly watch this show!!!)
6. The Flash
7. Supergirl

I think every comic book-to-television endeavor should examine how The Walking Dead translated from page to screen. Sure, TWD has its flaws but they are small compared to the overall quality of the show IMO. A superhero show mustn't necessarily be dark and brooding like TWD to appeal to a larger audience but it doesn't need to be campy either.

Seriously. If I had a choice of watching either one of the two offerings this season of Supergirl or an old FOX network X-Men Saturday morning episode, I might pick X-Men. A 20-year old cartoon show over a modern live action series. That's sad. Know what's sadder? I feel Alex Danvers, Kara's foster sister played by Chyler Leigh, is the most believable character of the show. And by a WIDE margin. Man.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ill never watch the show...
but super girl is cute...

good for them.
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest, Melissa Benoist has a cutest factor of 10. CBS nailed that aspect. I question whether she can do an ultra serious face for scenes demanding 100% drama with zero comedy though. Maybe that's an unrealistic expectation because the show doesn't seem like it will ever dwell deeply into any truly dramatic subject matter.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Well, I've watched both episodes and I'm not going to take it seriously... because it's not even trying to be serious. It's campy. No surprise. I should have taken the previews for granted.

The show targets an audience who appreciates light-hearted, feel good stories. That's great but I think there is an audience for comic book-to-big/small screen drama/comedy that's not stuck in 1960's/1970's shallow entertainment. It's 2015. What's wrong with relating comic book material more closely with real world relevance? The comic book industry grew up decades ago. Will DC eventually match it's television adaptations with it's literary versions? The answer seems solidly no in my opinion.

My ranking of current DC/Marvel television shows in terms of entertainment maturity:

1. Daredevil (Just starting to get into this one)
2. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD
3. Agent Carter
4. Gotham (This is a good show like Batman Begins was a good movie. Maybe it will someday take a fundamental leap like Begins to The Dark Knight did.)
5. Arrow (...and I don't even regularly watch this show!!!)
6. The Flash
7. Supergirl

I think every comic book-to-television endeavor should examine how The Walking Dead translated from page to screen. Sure, TWD has its flaws but they are small compared to the overall quality of the show IMO. A superhero show mustn't necessarily be dark and brooding like TWD to appeal to a larger audience but it doesn't need to be campy either.

Seriously. If I had a choice of watching either one of the two offerings this season of Supergirl or an old FOX network X-Men Saturday morning episode, I might pick X-Men. A 20-year old cartoon show over a modern live action series. That's sad. Know what's sadder? I feel Alex Danvers, Kara's foster sister played by Chyler Leigh, is the most believable character of the show. And by a WIDE margin. Man.
so one out of maybe 100 shows is trying to be campy and light hearted and you rant about it. Get a life.

cml750

Reaction score
I just watched the 2nd episode. It was much better than the first(it would be hard to be worse) but it is still has a ways to go before I would like it. I may give it one more try. I agree with DallasEast rankings of the superhero shows although I have not seen any episodes of The Flash but it would be hard for the Flash to be worse than this.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I just watched the 2nd episode. It was much better than the first(it would be hard to be worse) but it is still has a ways to go before I would like it. I may give it one more try. I agree with DallasEast rankings of the superhero shows although I have not seen any episodes of The Flash but it would be hard for the Flash to be worse than this.

I think super girl of the 2010's will suffer same fate of Helens 1980's SG.