News: T.J. Watt Vs. Taco Charlton: McCarthy Weighs in On Cowboys Philosophy

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Or the reverse is in fact true. That 'know-nothing fans' as the homers like to call them, are often times more often right than those who get paid to do it.

But that fact hurts the fragile sensibilities of some people.

I don't think anyone here can say all of the picks they would have taken over the years turned out to be great players or better than those Dallas selected. We get some right, but we get some wrong as well.

Most fans are ready and willing to point out when they got something right such as Watt over Charlton, but are strangely silent about the picks they got wrong.

I readily admit I've had plenty of misses over the years. I don't generally say we should select a certain player, but I have agreed with and defended choices that turned out to be bad ones. David LaFleur, I'm looking at you. Barbie Carpenter, too.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Of course! No other team had a need for a stud defensive end like we did and passed on TJ and picked a Soft Taco.

Right or wrong, there were questions about Watt's ability to play defensive end. There were no questions about him being a pass-rushing outside linebacker, but that's not what Dallas wanted.

I preferred Watt, but the reason Dallas chose Charlton was understandable. It's not like they reached for a player expect to go a round or two later.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Right or wrong, there were questions about Watt's ability to play defensive end. There were no questions about him being a pass-rushing outside linebacker, but that's not what Dallas wanted.

I preferred Watt, but the reason Dallas chose Charlton was understandable. It's not like they reached for a player expect to go a round or two later.

I hated the pick, never liked the player once I did a little research on him but I agree. I don't agree with the approach, I understand what drove it. If you look back at those teams in previous years, we were desperate for help along the DL because of cap and FA. I mean, we did it to ourselves because of certain moves we had made previously. The team was locked in to taking a rush DE that year and he was the last guy on our board. I hear fans put this on any number of people but honestly, if Jerry and/or Garrett tell you we are taking a DE in a given round, what are you going to do? You do your job and you tell him who the best option on the board is, that's still available. Every coach argues for their position group during the draft and it's ultimately the front office and the HC who decide which way the team is going. The mistake belongs to Jerry and Garrett. Putting it on Marinelli or McCay is just allowing those who really own the responsibility to skate on it.

If asked, I believe Jerry would be the first to say that all things Cowboys are all on him in the end.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think anyone here can say all of the picks they would have taken over the years turned out to be great players or better than those Dallas selected. We get some right, but we get some wrong as well.

Most fans are ready and willing to point out when they got something right such as Watt over Charlton, but are strangely silent about the picks they got wrong.

I readily admit I've had plenty of misses over the years. I don't generally say we should select a certain player, but I have agreed with and defended choices that turned out to be bad ones. David LaFleur, I'm looking at you. Barbie Carpenter, too.

It's good that yiu can admit that yiu were wrong. I do the same as well. But I don't pretend otherwise in cases like this when I was clearly right.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Any scheme where Taco Charlton fits but TJ Watt doesn't needs to be scrapped and never spoken of again.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Any scheme where Taco Charlton fits but TJ Watt doesn't needs to be scrapped and never spoken of again.

LOL........ It's not scheme, it's decision making. Watt could play in a 43, he just isn't a DE.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's good that yiu can admit that yiu were wrong. I do the same as well. But I don't pretend otherwise in cases like this when I was clearly right.

I didn't really have an opinion on Charlton, other than I preferred Watt.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He took that step down two years ago, this team and staff was too much into feelings and what things look like to acknowledge the fact. Another part of the problem around here and something else I'm so glad is GONE.

Marinelli was this team's defensive line coach for the past two years and coordinator in name only, not role.

So, who was the DC?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We only drafted Taco because of the issues Gregory was having. A couple of wasted draft picks.

Dre11

Reaction score
I mean yes hindsight is 20/20 and I am sure every team could look back and wish they had drafted a different player at one point with multiple of their picks in multiple drafts, but at the end of the day you make a pick and hope its right.

Marinelli didn't make the pick by himself.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I still think without retrospect, Taco was the best scheme fit but Watt was the best overall talented player. We was a playoff bound team and the Watt pick didn't make much sense. Taco had the better resume and could've came along better over time. But what the draft and no one can estimate is the unknown. But the worst thing the Cowboys could've done was reach for a player.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
LOL........ It's not scheme, it's decision making. Watt could play in a 43, he just isn't a DE.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Gregory and Taco about the same weight? They had no problem putting Gregory in as a 4-3 DE.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Gregory and Taco about the same weight? They had no problem putting Gregory in as a 4-3 DE.

No. Gregory was only like 235 pounds. Taco was like 275 coming into the draft. The reason Gregory got taken at that weight, IMO, is because he had electric speed and quickness. But remember, he didn't play his first year because weight and other things were issues. He got ragged dolled a lot by Tyron, early on.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
No. Gregory was only like 235 pounds. Taco was like 275 coming into the draft. The reason Gregory got taken at that weight, IMO, is because he had electric speed and quickness. But remember, he didn't play his first year because weight and other things were issues. He got ragged dolled a lot by Tyron, early on.
Sorry, I meant Gregory and TJ...My bad.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant Gregory and TJ...My bad.

I fugured that might be the case but did not want to be presumptuous. TJ, to me, was the better football player by a lot, over either Gregory or Charlton but he wasn't a 43 DE IMO. The problem with Watt was that he did not do very well out of a 3 point and set the edge. He was great if he could stand up but not so much explosion off the line. He actually fit perfectly as a 34 OLB, probably his best position, but not DE. He could have been a really good 43 LB as well but certainly not a big of an impact player. That's just what I thought when I watched him coming out.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Nobody overrates TJ Watt more than Cowboys fans.
Are you being serious or trolling? You gotta be trolling. If not, then you’re not a real Cowboys fan. I’ll take 35 sacks over 3 seasons over a stupid *** Hot Boyz nickname.

Beaker42

Reaction score

If we had taken Watt like we should’ve, we could’ve figured out about his pass rushing and then put him at LB if he couldn’t do it. As it turned out we were all right about him being better than Taco. To be fair, we never gave Taco a shot to show anything because Rod’s doghouse was harder to get out of than our doosh HC’s was.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Marinelli didn't make the pick by himself.

Anyone that thought Taco Charlton was a special player worthy of a first rounder does not need to keep their job.

Given the nonsense that happened last year, I would hope that the Joneses start holding McClay's feet to the fire.

The whole dynamic in how we do things is not nearly as "successful" as it was considered a few years ago.

We have a monumental first round bust, a second first rounder with an exploding neck, a second rounder who cannot even get on the field, etc.

Just not good.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If we had taken Watt like we should’ve, we could’ve figured out about his pass rushing and then put him at LB if he couldn’t do it. As it turned out we were all right about him being better than Taco. To be fair, we never gave Taco a shot to show anything because Rod’s doghouse was harder to get out of than our doosh HC’s was.

Fans here may have been, but a lot of draft experts had Charlton and Watt rated about the same. (Some had Charlton up to 10 spots higher than Watt.) It wouldn't surprise me if most GMs did as well.