T.J. Yeldon

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yeldon is really beat up. Running for 3 years in the sec he has taken a pounding. Also he has fumble issues.

He split carries with Derek Henry and Kenyan Drake. I don't think he's that beat up. But he does fumble at the most inopportune times.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
One out of how many overhyped RBs?

Bobby Humphreys, Shaun Alexander. Both were first-round picks and did pretty well. Who were the other Bama backs who were overhyped? I don't recall too many Bama backs who were given high grades. Maybe you can help me.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They lost their all american C, RG, and RT, the LT took a step back and their replacements were not nearly as good.

That being said I saw Coleman, Ajayi and others do more with less than he had.

For 2014 that is more than fair.
Over their collegiate careers that's much tougher.
Coleman was non-existent until this year basically.
Ajayi had two real seasons.

Yeldon is coming off a middle of the road season but an outstanding career.
As such I think he is undervalued.

As to 2014: Bama changed offenses. They went more spread and pass happy. Less big TE's and FBs in to block.
Yeldon did his best work out of the pro sets used previously.

I do really like Coeman and Ajayi as well. Ajayi I saw play in high school and good grief was he a stud. But I think Yeldon is a bit better and a bit more underrated right now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
For 2014 that is more than fair.
Over their collegiate careers that's much tougher.
Coleman was non-existent until this year basically.
Ajayi had two real seasons.

Yeldon is coming off a middle of the road season but an outstanding career.
As such I think he is undervalued.

As to 2014: Bama changed offenses. They went more spread and pass happy. Less big TE's and FBs in to block.
Yeldon did his best work out of the pro sets used previously.

I do really like Coeman and Ajayi as well. Ajayi I saw play in high school and good grief was he a stud. But I think Yeldon is a bit better and a bit more underrated right now.

I would not say Coleman was none existent until this year. In 2013, he ran for 958 yards on 131 carries for 7.3 yards a carry. Granted, that's not a thousand but it's close. His Fresheman year, he didn't do much. Only 51 carries the entire season. Too deep down the depth chart I guess.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bobby Humphreys, Shaun Alexander. Both were first-round picks and did pretty well. Who were the other Bama backs who were overhyped? I don't recall too many Bama backs who were given high grades. Maybe you can help me.

For starters, I'm sure he's referring to Richardson....a top 5 pick who is playing like a 7th rounder at best.

there have been some good ones too though. Lacy, for example.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
For starters, I'm sure he's referring to Richardson....a top 5 pick who is playing like a 7th rounder at best.

there have been some good ones too though. Lacy, for example.

But Richardson is one back. He hardly fits a pattern of running back busts from Alabama.

DFWJC

Reaction score
But Richardson is one back. He hardly fits a pattern of running back busts from Alabama.

I think up until last year, the thought was that Ingram was a borderline bust too.
Even now, the argument could me made that he was 1st rounder who was over-hyped. Maybe Sherman Williams a long time ago?

But look, I've taken your side of this argument. I don't see evidence that you can throw out Bama RBs based on a couple that were overrated.
That whole notion is silly to me.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Richardson, Ingram?

One would argue that Richardson is much worse than Ingram but I don't think Ingram has lived up to the billing even though he has been heads and tails better than Richardson.

Last edited:

dr_hefley

Reaction score
Haven't seen much more than highlights, but i like a lot of the things he does. Nice wiggle/change of direction, is decisive once he hits the hole, makes tacklers miss and sets up his blockers well. No idea how his pass protection is but he looks good catching the ball out of the backfield.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Richardson, Ingram?

One would argue that Richardson is much worse than Ingram but I don't think Ingram has lived up to the billing even though he has been heads and tails better than Richardson.

Ingram put up a top 15 rushing number last year. Hard to call him a bust.
N.O. tore down that OL over the past couple years and the offense was very pass heavy.

But again it goes to show RB numbers outside the truly special guys are very dependent upon offense, health and opportunity.

Bama has produced more NFL caliber RBs than anyone the last decade. Hard to say their backs have been a bust.
Most round 1 RBs are basically busts.

ghst187

Reaction score

T Rich, Ingram, just saying they get great pre-draft grades that seem to get inflated because they ran behind a road-grading Alabama OL for years, which is what I would say the case is for Yeldon

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Richardson, Ingram?

Ingram has been hurt. And it didn't help him that he was drafted by New Orleans, a pass happy team.

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
I would not say Coleman was none existent until this year. In 2013, he ran for 958 yards on 131 carries for 7.3 yards a carry. Granted, that's not a thousand but it's close. His Fresheman year, he didn't do much. Only 51 carries the entire season. Too deep down the depth chart I guess.

Over 7 ypc back too back seasons wow. I don't get why ppl think it's a bad thing too have a back w not much tread on the tires. This should be a plus.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Yeldon seems like a Marion Barber kind of pick. Safe, good football intelligence, high likelihood of converting on short yardage. Good in all phases of the job. Less violent power. More wiggle. Same lack of long speed. No greatness, but a lot of goodness. Kind of RB New England rolls with.

His quick feet stood out to me.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yeldon seems like a Marion Barber kind of pick. Safe, good football intelligence, high likelihood of converting on short yardage. Good in all phases of the job. Less violent power. More wiggle. Same lack of long speed. No greatness, but a lot of goodness. Kind of RB New England rolls with.

His quick feet stood out to me.

Agreed. If they wait until the 3rd-4th to take a back, they could get a steal with him. He is used to a zone attack and does the "dirty yards" thing that Garrett covets.